The European Eel - A species under threat

chrisd1

In my experience, most anglers don't like catching eels. Of those that do catch them, very few like eating them. Those that catch them and eat them, do not take a significant number. The number of eels taken by anglers is miniscule. Therefore, those who agree with the new fish removal byelaws, which will make no difference to anything, are allowing a box to be ticked - which means measures to tackle the real issues, (whatever they are), are less likely to happen.

If the byelaws go through, when the big bad EU asks the UK what they are doing to about eels, they can say., "We've stopped anglers from removing them." If they are not able to say that, they will have to come up with something else that might actually make a difference. Anyone who cares about angling and anyone who professes to care about eel stocks should, therefore, lodge their objections to the byelaws within the given timescale.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new bye laws have been arrived at through consultation with anglers, scientists and organisations. I am not saying that I agree or disagree, but we (the NAC) certainly have not played a major part in the formulation. I wish we were that powerfull. We all have until 20th January to influence and comment on them. Will you?

As for stopping fishing for eels, I covered that on page 4, post 3, and also page 4 last post, and on page 5.

Yes, they went through the motion of a consultation, of the very few respondants they let us know that the majority where commercial replys, no doubt various ngo's etc with a vested interest, the angler at the end of the line, (pun) and also the eel was yet again dealt the wrong end of the stick to come up with what appear to be a waste of time proposels that are par for the course and join with more than ten years of paper shuffling etc. Unfortunatly i agree with you with regards to power, the public don't have any and if the nac club had more, it still wouldn't agree with the right for joe public to take and eat though?

Me comment before the 20th, if i do it would certainly be on the side of the eel. Haven't had time to go around your previous posts regarding justification for the continuance of fishing, i will have a look and may well add something to my comments, not sure yet.

On the very first post for this subject i note that angling wasn't included as one of the reasons for the demise. It's being intimated by the marine conservation society why anglers shouldn't catch and release the conger eel, you going to join in and raise your comments on that one.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

Sea anglers face a slippery ban

All sea anglers may not be aware of Environment Agency plans to prohibit the retention of silver eels from the sea in England and Wales as well as from fresh water.

The agency estimates that runs of juvenile fish, or elvers, “have crashed by over 95 per cent across Europe…and if runs don’t improve soon, the long-term future for eels looks bleak.”

The Angling Trust supports the move. Chairman Mike Heylin said: "Without major steps to protect eels from recreational angling and commercial fishing, they are unlikely to get back to a sustainable level.”

The proposed rules are at www.environmentagency.gov.uk/fish/byelaws. To oppose or support them anglers should write to Alexander Kinninmonth at Defra, Marine and Freshwater Biodiversity Division, Area 2D, Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR (alexander.kinninmonth@defra.gsi.gov.uk).

Further controls on commercial eel fishing are planned by stopping the issue of marine eel licences, reducing the number of freshwater commercial eel licences and toughening up conditions for those that are allowed, and imposing a closed season for commercial eel and elver fishing.

ENDS

You'll notice that although the proposal is to ban anglers from taking eels, there is no mention banning commercial eel and elver fishing. What a great victory that'll be if it comes off, eh?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

FYI

All sea anglers may not be aware of Environment Agency plans to prohibit the retention of silver eels from the sea in England and Wales as well as from fresh water.

The agency estimates that runs of juvenile fish, or elvers, “have crashed by over 95 per cent across Europe…and if runs don’t improve soon, the long-term future for eels looks bleak.”

The Angling Trust supports the move. Chairman Mike Heylin said: "Without major steps to protect eels from recreational angling and commercial fishing, they are unlikely to get back to a sustainable level.”

The proposed rules are at www.environmentagency.gov.uk/fish/byelaws. To oppose or support them anglers should write to Alexander Kinninmonth at Defra, Marine and Freshwater Biodiversity Division, Area 2D, Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR (alexander.kinninmonth@defra.gsi.gov.uk).

Further controls on commercial eel fishing are planned by stopping the issue of marine eel licences, reducing the number of freshwater commercial eel licences and toughening up conditions for those that are allowed, and imposing a closed season for commercial eel and elver fishing.

ENDS

You'll notice that although the proposal is to ban anglers from taking eels, there is no mention banning commercial eel and elver fishing. What a great victory that'll be if it comes off, eh?

Where is this from, Steve?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

FYI

ENDS

Afternoon Steve

Leaving aside the commercial fishing issues for a moment, perhaps you might consider this statement, sent to me a while ago by a fellow Anglers Net member. It echoes my sentiments perfectly, and illustrates why I feel that the ban on taking eels is correct:

"Why someone living in a society with abundant food would want to hunt and eat a creature listed on the IUCN Red List as 'critically endangered' and thus remove the chance of any particular eel making it back to breed beats me!"

Regards

Mark

Afternoon Steve

Leaving aside the commercial fishing issues for a moment, perhaps you might consider this statement, sent to me a while ago by a fellow Anglers Net member. It echoes my sentiments perfectly, and illustrates why I feel that the ban on taking eels is correct:

"Why someone living in a society with abundant food would want to hunt and eat a creature listed on the IUCN Red List as 'critically endangered' and thus remove the chance of any particular eel making it back to breed beats me!"

Regards

Mark

Why would someone want to stick hooks in them and not eat them?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Afternoon Steve

Regards

Mark

No, sorry Mark, why should we ignore the commercial fishing issue? It is very relevant to the point you are trying to make and the quote you've posted. What you, and the AnglersNet member that you quote, appear to be saying is that it is alright to walk into a supermarket or fishmongers and buy as many eels as you like, but it isn't alright to hunt them to eat. Please tell me you posted that as a joke.

Don't drink and drive.

Mark are you not worried that if a ban on anglers taking eels (whether we actually want to or not) comes in it may set a precedent for looking into how many fatalities occur from C&R and banning angling for them intentionally at all? It also (to the GP and its undoubtedly they who will ultimately decide on anglings future) makes it look as if anglers are the reason!

And as Steve has said meanwhile the commercial eel and elver fishing continues...........

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

And as Steve has said meanwhile the commercial eel and elver fishing continues...........

So, rather than fighting to retain their share to eat, shouldn't anglers as a group be putting all their efforts into campaigning against the commercial exploitation of a critically endangered species.

By foregoing our own 'right' to eat such creatures, it puts us in a much stronger position to champion the case of the eel and its important place in the ecology of the aquatic and marine environments.

One of the great defences of angling is our credentials as conservationists, and our vaunted role as the eyes, ears and defenders of the watery environment.

If we are to step back from that, and solely fight for our selfish rights to take and do with as we wish to any creature, whatever its conservation status, we will have marched a long way down the road towards losing our freedom and 'rights' to fish.

In a world where there is growing concern for what mankind is doing to our natural systems, and the creatures that are part of those systems, we have to accept the responsibility that comes with our privilege to do what we do beside the river and on the beaches.

Oh! and I for one would most certainly not support the commercial exploitation of eels by buying a tub of jellied eels, anymore than I would order a shark-fin soup, or a slice of panda meat!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust