The European Eel - A species under threat

chrisd1

I certainly know that my rigs can be improved as regards deep hooking prevention, and I am constantly revising them.

Hi Mark,

Has anyone used small circle-hooks for eels?

I've found that they work really well for perch and for pike (once some initial changes to the way you deal with a take are learned), with nearly all hook-ups in the corner of the mouth.

But they are very much a disaster when trout are around (They often hook on ridges at the back of the mouth and I'd sooner get a J hook out of the back of a trout's throat with a disgorger than fluff around trying to roll out a circle-hook hook out with forceps or pliers) .

It would be interesting to see if they make a difference when fishing for eels. It might be worth an experiment to find out (I'm waiting for an eel to take the worm meant for a perch, but of course when you want it to happen, it doesn't!)

ps I no longer eat eels, nor use eels for bait (and I don't purposely fish for them). It might not make much of a difference in the big scheme of things, but then that's the same with nearly everything where the sum of changes to individual actions and thinking eventually leads to global change.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been General Secretary of the NAC since November 2006, and full name is Mark Salt, and you will find Chris's details at the end of his first post. I have never had a problem with frozen baits for any predator, and tend to put any particular success with a bait down to confidence in it's effectiveness rather than it being superior to another. The use of frozen baits has been a subject of controversy for as long as I can remember, and I have noticed no appreciable difference in run frequency between frozen and freshly killed baits when fishing for eels. As the eel hunts by smell, and, we are told, has a sense of smell second only to a dog, then for me that indicates that frozen baits are equally effective, but we all have our own view on that. Interesting post here: http://www.totalcoarsefishing.com/cgi-bin/...?num=1254861498. Still can't see how you perceive that the mention of rigs and deep hookinng were a personal attack, but then maybe you are a sensitive soul, and I will bear that in mind in future :) I certainly know that my rigs can be improved as regards deep hooking prevention, and I am constantly revising them.

Thanks Mark.

I will have to stick with my own experiences with frozen deads for Zander I'm afraid and that is simply that they are pants! I cant comment on there effectiveness for eels as Ive only used fresh or live fish baits or worms.

Leon mentioned circle hooks.Well although I cant share his enthusiasm for them where pike are concerned I have been hoping for sometime to try them for eels to see if they can help with this problem.

I asked about the committee change as I was just wondering if there had been and you and Chris were recently elected members (obviously not !) It was just that if you had been it would have explained this sudden targeting of angling sites to spread the good word! Trouble with that would have been that Ive been at it long enough to remember the origonal "eels are for sport,not bait" campaign and saw this as just new guys leaping on the bandwagon using the "conservation" angle.

Cant remember who posted it now but one of you guys mentioned that if we were to use eels we couldn't really call ourselves true conservationists. Bit rich really when it could be construed that your aims are to "save the eel" erm but for your own sport!

No enough point scoring as really we should all be on the same side here. Its just as I said I don't think the initial approach or responses were very tactful! In your role Mark it might be worth considering creating a "Press Relations Officer" position for the NAC to help spread the word in a better way? I say this as the PAC went through a stage of alienating both anglers and fishery managers with their "holier than thou"attitude and theirapointment off a good PRO really helped.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There have been all sorts of things proposed over the years. Plenty of consultations, too. None of them ever came to anything worthwhile. They did provide work for depratments full of civil servants and plenty of scope for scientific studies and research, though, along with the funding that goes with it.

Anyway, the proposal to stop the exporting of elvers outside the EU is a joke, isn't it? How many elvers are eaten within the EU - and how many are exported outside?

As far as I can make out, between 100-120 ton(ne)s a year are exported to Asia from Europe since the late 90's. Figures for recent exports and total catches are a bit difficult to find but suffice to say the export market to Asia is lucrative when elvers fetchElver prices have been " £50–60/kg mid-1990s; £150/kg late-1990s when demand from Chinese eel farms was at its height; £180/kg in 1997; £50–60/kg early 2000s; £83/kg in 2004 though it reached £150/kg in April 2002; £300/kg inMarch 2004; £435/kg in 2005, peaking at £525/kg because of rising demand and falling supply; and £300/kg in 2006." from West Sutherland elver survey 2008.

A lot of EU elvers are bred on either in farms, particularly in Holland and Germany or put back into wild fisheries such as Lough Neagh.

And once the Eels are outside any MCZ or MPA, they are fair game for anyone who wants to have a go at them, British or Foreign.

Yes but once they are outside coastal waters they are very difficult to find. Most are targeted in Estuaries.

Like I said, 'being seen to be doing something', without actually doing anything.

Eel protection legislation is something that is compulsory and all EU countries have to propose a strategy. It might be a long time coming but better late than never.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Did you find any figures on the tonnage of Eels eaten in Europe on Google?

If Eels become difficult to find outside coastal waters, that would have to be one serious size MPA needed to protect them.

All these strategies, plans and visions mean very little. All they do is keep people busy.

Like has been said many times, now, if these people were serious about helping the Eel population, the elver fishery would be banned. Until that happens, I can't take them and their stupid proposals seriously.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Did you find any figures on the tonnage of Eels eaten in Europe on Google?

If Eels become difficult to find outside coastal waters, that would have to be one serious size MPA needed to protect them.

All these strategies, plans and visions mean very little. All they do is keep people busy.

Like has been said many times, now, if these people were serious about helping the Eel population, the elver fishery would be banned. Until that happens, I can't take them and their stupid proposals seriously.

I couldn't find any absolute figures on eel consumption in Europe either on Google or within my literature. I have figures varying between 9-18,000 tonnes of adult eels p.a. but this includes their use as food, for re-stocking and for export outside the EU. No break down of figures I'm afraid.

To my knowledge, once out of the estuaries they utilise natural deep channels etc. to reach deep water thus making them a difficult target to catch using nets anyway. The estuaries are the areas that they are/were trawled.

Some of these strategies have actually been implemented already with limits on exports recently introduced (under CITES), restrictions on catching in Holland and I believe some Scandinavian countries. Re-introduction of elvers is already happening this is set to increase to 60% of total catches by 2013!

Overall, eel management plans seem to be achieving something positive. Restrictions on recreational angling are on the cards as well so the NAC might become a historical club!

I know you have a hatred for all things official but commonsense and a lot of work by scientists/ecologists etc appears to be having a hand in producing some very sensible legislation to protect eels (and many other species).

I, along with a number of others took the original post on this subject as condescending, patronising and not a little insulting. Perhaps the new legislation might affect the NAC more than they realise. As a group though (not that you'd believe it from this thread) anglers can only improve their stature amongst the non-angling public by being seen to make an example by taking the lead.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I couldn't find any absolute figures on eel consumption in Europe either on Google or within my literature. I have figures varying between 9-18,000 tonnes of adult eels p.a. but this includes their use as food, for re-stocking and for export outside the EU. No break down of figures I'm afraid.

To my knowledge, once out of the estuaries they utilise natural deep channels etc. to reach deep water thus making them a difficult target to catch using nets anyway. The estuaries are the areas that they are/were trawled.

Some of these strategies have actually been implemented already with limits on exports recently introduced (under CITES), restrictions on catching in Holland and I believe some Scandinavian countries. Re-introduction of elvers is already happening this is set to increase to 60% of total catches by 2013!

Overall, eel management plans seem to be achieving something positive. Restrictions on recreational angling are on the cards as well so the NAC might become a historical club!

I know you have a hatred for all things official but commonsense and a lot of work by scientists/ecologists etc appears to be having a hand in producing some very sensible legislation to protect eels (and many other species).

I, along with a number of others took the original post on this subject as condescending, patronising and not a little insulting. Perhaps the new legislation might affect the NAC more than they realise. As a group though (not that you'd believe it from this thread) anglers can only improve their stature amongst the non-angling public by being seen to make an example by taking the lead.

Anglers are so far down the list of threats to any fish stock, that any so called 'leading by example' is nothing more than self flageration. The trouble is, the fanatics want to punish us all to satisfy their self righteous tendancies, not just themselves. And far from endearing themselves, and us, to the non angling public, they are just driving a bigger wedge. The line between compulsory catch and release and a total ban on angling is getting finer almost by the day.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Anglers are so far down the list of threats to any fish stock, that any so called 'leading by example' is nothing more than self flageration. The trouble is, the fanatics want to punish us all to satisfy their self righteous tendancies, not just themselves. And far from endearing themselves, and us, to the non angling public, they are just driving a bigger wedge. The line between compulsory catch and release and a total ban on angling is getting finer almost by the day.

I don't disagree that anglers are so low down on the list as to be a negligible threat but, the non-angling public may not be as well informed. Acknowledging that there is a problem and supporting all eel conservation measures publically cannot do angling any harm.

There has been no objection (to my knowledge) to shad protection and the recent ban on deliberate angling for them.....I have fished for Twaite shad for years, and great sport it was too. If laying off for a few years helps eels, shad or whatever species andcommercial concerns have the same restrictions then I have no problem with that.

All it takes is a national newspaper to pick up on a negative aspect of anglers and an endangered species and we are all tarred with the same brush.

Currently I don't fish for eels and wouldn't use them for bait. I don't condone the commercial exploitation of eels for bait if they are taken from the wild as whole fish...if they are commercial by-products then that is a different matter as and until legislation rules this as illegal/unsustainable.

If you are referring to the NAC as the "fanatics" then I tend to agree with you (is that a first? :) ). If you want to protect eels then protect them, don't fish for them.........as I don't fish for Shad.

I wait to see what the NAC say if eels are put under the same legislation as Shad, I hope they (eels) are from a conservation point of view. I also hope that alll of the recommendations proposed so far are imposed under the eel legislation, time will tell.........the fyke nets may be empty but my glass is still half full!

Edited by Worms

I,m not changing my rigs or hooks when i target eels. Mind you i gave up fishing for them silly little ones years ago, so you can rest easy with me Mark 7. I normally use 10/0 bronze with 250lb mono trace for mine. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I don't disagree that anglers are so low down on the list as to be a negligible threat but, the non-angling public may not be as well informed. Acknowledging that there is a problem and supporting all eel conservation measures publically cannot do angling any harm.

I think the non-angling public would be pleased to see the back of eels. Outside of Anglers, conservationists, tree huggers and cockney pie and mash shops the eel is about as loved as Spiders, Snakes and Rats.

When ever any non-anglers find out I fish the two questions I am nearly all ways asked are:

1. How do you pick up maggots, I could not bring myself to touch them.

2. What do you do if you catch an eel, I would have to cut the line and then go on to describe how much they hate eels.

I think the general public are more likely to encourage us to cull them at every oppurtunity and one way to keep the general public happy would be to use them all as Pike bait :D

I think the non-angling public would be fans of eel as bait.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Has anyone used small circle-hooks for eels?

Hi Leon

Is there anything you don't use circle hooks for? :D

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek