Baitrunner Reel advice

rabster

I'm in the market for a new baitrunner/freespool type reel.

The water I do 90% of my fishing on is about 4 acres, with a number of islands, so no huge casts are required.

So, I'm looking for a reel that feels nice, with a smooth clutch & that can also cope with fish to 25lbs plus (not as the norm - but there are some in there)

My fishing pals can't see any further than Shimano, so much so that I'd quite like to try a different brand.

I've got my eye on one of these, which I can pick up for about £60.00

Posted Image

Which is a Maver Tica Sportera Hit 'n' Run.

Has anyone had any experience of using one of these reels? Or can anyone recommend anything else?

Cheers.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allibee

Everyone tries to copy but no one can emulate Shimano baitrunners

Yer mates are right!

Shimano 8000gte, pinnacle of baitrunner perfection ... and you can get the new one for £74.99 with spare spool

Rabster...I own 4 Shimano Baiterrunner Long Cast's, I have four extra spools (kinda of a ****** having to buy the extra spools I know)with 25lb on and the originals spools with 15lb Soft Steel on. Two of the reels I picked up on Ebay brand new for just over £90!!!!!!

These reels have never ever let me down and I would whole heartly recommend them as "allibee" pointed out all the rest try to emulate the Shimano series.

Stay with em nothing comes close!

Bankside

I can't comment on the Maver reels as I've never handled them let alone used them.

I have a love/hate relationship with Shimanos. I don't like their latest Baitrunners, at least not the top of the range GTe models. I find that with the anti-reverse off they're too free-running for my taste, resulting in tangles. I also dislike the position and design of the anti-reverse switch itself, again a cause of the odd tangle. However, you should bear in mind that I'm very clumsy!

On the other hand I do like the rear drag and the excellent line lay. I'm not aware of any other free spool reels with a rear drag apart from the now discontinued DAM models (the latest DAM ones are front drag). Ideas anyone?

Whatever reel you buy check how easy it is to get it serviced and repaired. A reel that is cheap to buy may work out expensive in the long run if when it needs some spare parts you can't get them and have to bin the reel. Shimano are excellent in this respect.

However, unless you expect to also fish much larger waters I don't agree with Alibee's advice to go for the 8000 size, and even then the 6000 size may well be preferable. For smaller waters the 5000 size should be more than adequate and is both lighter and less expensive. For a further discussion of this point see www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...t=013321#000011

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

doesnt try to be the best, therefore never will be! for £70 you can get a very very good shimano that will last you years

Guest allibee

Fair points but I would still say that the 8000GTE will be the best of them as once you spool up you don't have to worry about moving to bigger waters - Wraysbury oceans/ressies excepted - but buy smaller and you wont have the cover for the bigger waters, and will still be in need of something for the job. Unless one intends to stay on 4 acre waters forever that is.

Also it depends what one is angling for I suppose, obviously a 4lb line will take up less space on the larger capacity spool than say Pro Gold in 12lb which is the kind of line and bs the 8000 is made for, or 390 yards of 10lb line, so you'd need to provide extra backing for lighter lines where as on the spare spool you can fill it with your larger bs/diam line to keep your situations covered.

The 5000re doesn't come with a spare spool

[ 10. July 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: allibee ]

I purchased a pair of okuma interceptors for barbel fishing. To say I'm impressed is an understatement.

To qualify that I have used shimano since they came into the country. I still have and swear by a pair of the original Triton 3500's. How ever the interceptor to my mind is as good and is a lot cheaper. So much so I will look at okuma before any other make in the future.