Baitrunner Reel advice

rabster

Guest allibee

I have to say I read a thread the other day on another site regarding a guy who brought Okuma reels.

He got a belting run on one and the bale arm fell off as he was playing it in. I suppose like all things you get what you pay for

It's nice though that you have a more positive experience

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've not had a chance to check out the link Steve Burke has provided as i'm literally off out of the door for a days fishing - meeting up with the Shimano fans - looks like they were right all along. :D

Cheers

Personally I'd go with Shimano. They're proven quality, and for me the rear drag adjustment is preferable - personal choice.

I've tried Quantums, didn't like the front drag and poor line lay. Tried Daiwa Regal Z's, didn't like line lay. Looked at the John wilson Baitfeeders on E-bay, Brand new you could kit yourself out with a pair for £50 - just PM the guys who sell them regularly. Colours are a bit, shall we say - Gawdy ?, though if you're considering Maver Tica's this can't be an issue! lol.

I remeber my local tackle shop, actively pushing the Tica's a few years back, I thought they were a bit "plasticy", didn't strike me as a reel that would last the test of time - that's just an observation not based on any experience of them.

I have quite recently bought an Okuma Genic fixed spool reel - not a baitrunner, It's superb, and excellent value for money. So if this is typical of Okuma products - don't ignore them. Okuma Baitfeeder reels are always on E-bay.

Between us my son and I have tried a few over the years, inc Diawa, and Silstar.

For me Shimano everytime.

Okuma stuff is very good value, my two beach reels are Okuma as are my saltwater and Pike fly reels. These fly reels are a class above the usual low end Magnums, yet cheaper. I have not tried their freespool reels my self.

i have an okuma epix pro bait feeder which is the same as the baitrunner....i got it for £70 with a ron thompson c14 feeder rod at the tacle show thingly at the nec...what a bargin.

the reel is size 50 and is exceptional, bnest reel i have ever used. but then the i have not used the shimano baitrunners

hmmmm really

A Daiwa Regal Z will do the job for half the price of a shimmy, Rear drag, adjustable 'free spool' and nice chunky lever on back for FS.

(again not 'cr@pping' on shimmy ) but mine gets loads of abuse and hangs in there just fine!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

allibee:

Fair points but I would still say that the 8000GTE will be the best of them as once you spool up you don't have to worry about moving to bigger waters - Wraysbury oceans/ressies excepted - but buy smaller and you wont have the cover for the bigger waters, and will still be in need of something for the job. Unless one intends to stay on 4 acre waters forever that is.

Also it depends what one is angling for I suppose, obviously a 4lb line will take up less space on the larger capacity spool than say Pro Gold in 12lb which is the kind of line and bs the 8000 is made for, or 390 yards of 10lb line, so you'd need to provide extra backing for lighter lines where as on the spare spool you can fill it with your larger bs/diam line to keep your situations covered.

The 5000re doesn't come with a spare spool

Good point about being able to use the bigger sizes on all carp waters, Alibee.

I also use the 5000 size for species like tench. Quite by chance, I found 2 of the old style Shimano 5010 GT Baitrunners at a boot sale yesterday. I promptly bought them and sold my 5000GTEs to AN regular, Alan Pearce. I was even able to swap the spools over.

Comparing the two, the 5010GTs aren't nearly so free running, but the clutch on the GTEs does seem to be better. The nice thing is that both Alan I are happy with what we've ended up with. :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

toggle:

A Daiwa Regal Z will do the job for half the price of a shimmy, Rear drag, adjustable 'free spool' and nice chunky lever on back for FS.

(again not 'cr@pping' on shimmy      ) but mine gets loads of abuse and hangs in there just fine!

Thanks for that, Toggle. I hadn't realised that the Daiwas had a rear drag. I see from their website that Daiwa have just brought out a new, smaller size that looks interesting. Mind you the price is a lot higher!

If anyone can help me find a couple of 40 size DAM free spool reels, I'd be very grateful. I've got one and still prefer their handling to both the old and new Shimano Baitrunners.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net