hi from steve (newbe)

maxpower

I think you be better off with a sheffield than either of those, just my opinion.

I would agree with that, but add that my main reason for disliking the Trent (I've not used one mind) is the drag adjuster. It prevents you sticking your fingers through and winding. It also looks fiddly to adjust on the go, I wouldn't want to stick my fingers in to adjust it mid battle..

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of the Y2080

J W Young BJ Centrepin 4.5inch do you have one ?? i can get one for £220 i only want one centre pin so i want to make shore i pick the right one !!!

I'm sorry to disappoint you mate but there's no such thing as "only want one" when it comes to pins!............after you've bought your first one you'll be addicted, they're worse than alcohol or nicotine, believe me :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I've found the best way to justify repeat centrepin purchases is to point out the impossibility of covering a range of fishing situations with line of a single breaking strain on the reel.

By and large it's impossible to buy spare spools, so you just have to bite the bullet and have half-a-dozen or so pins, loaded with lines of 2-10lb bs...

:D

Speaking as a pin user since I started around 50yrs ago, I don't believe the perfect pin exists. It might do for some but not for everyone. Over the years I have had several pins, but now my faithful Match Aerial (bought new in 1968) is the only one I still possess. I had help from Andy, who kindly supplied a couple of parts to replace worn ones, but apart from that, it has never caused me any problems, and still runs well after 40 plus years.

Andy by the way is the guy who developed and makes the AN pin. Just to show how diverse the opinion is regarding pins, he got in touch with those of us he knew used pins, while designing the AN pin. I didn't envy he's impossible job of trying to please everyone. Because we each have our own 'style' we placed priorities on different aspects of the finished article. I like an adjustable drag, many others don't. Some wanted to be able to use their fingers to reel in, some of us didn't. Some don't like handles, some of us prefer handles. I'm not keen of the open back and would sacrifice a little more weight for the extra cover, to others it made sense to lose that weight, I could go on. Andy to his credit came up with a very good looking reel, that I've heard works very well, (I've never used one). But as I said it's not the 'perfect' reel for everyone. So Max, I don't think you wil find your perfect reel by just asking other people, the only way is to try them yourself, and find which suits you. You might have to have a few to cover different situations, but you'll only find out by trying them.

I would go with those who have said that buying/borrowing a reasonably priced decent reel first, and getting used to actually using one. Then you will be in a better position to make a decision for yourself.

Good luck mate

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've found the best way to justify repeat centrepin purchases is to point out the impossibility of covering a range of fishing situations with line of a single breaking strain on the reel.

By and large it's impossible to buy spare spools, so you just have to bite the bullet and have half-a-dozen or so pins, loaded with lines of 2-10lb bs...

:D

That's one thing about the youngs reels, you can get spare spools if you require them. I got two Purist spools, brand spankers off the bay for 50 ripp's, I kept one and gave the other to my friend. Even so though it's nice to have a few different reels to use.

hi

I am thinking of having a go at centre pin fishing BUT which reel can you honistly tell me what would be the best reel to start with ???? i was thinking J W Young BJ Centrepin 4.5inch or OKUMA TRENT CENTREPIN REEL

there a big difference in price the OKUMA seems to have a big following but i like the look for J W YOUNG :wallbash: PLEASE HELP

This might help you decide Max, the Trent is a Sheffield with drag.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/tackle-and-bai...-bob-james.html

I've since figured out why the Bob James is manufactured with ballraces as well as a grubscrew bearing so ignore that bit.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Im not saying which reel should be better for you but just incase it has any 'bearing' on your decision (excuse the pun):

you can buy both spare spools and replacement Bearings (you can also buy 'ceramic' bearings) for the OKUMA Sheffield, both for a reasonable cost if you decide to go that way.

I also think that you can get extra spools for the AN pin.

The following link has some spare spools for the Sheffield for £60 and replacement Ceramic Bearings for the Sheffield for £12

Spare Spools/Bearings for OKUMA Centrepins

but whatever you decide to get good luck.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• 2 weeks later...
Im not saying which reel should be better for you but just incase it has any 'bearing' on your decision (excuse the pun):

you can buy both spare spools and replacement Bearings (you can also buy 'ceramic' bearings) for the OKUMA Sheffield, both for a reasonable cost if you decide to go that way.

I also think that you can get extra spools for the AN pin.

The following link has some spare spools for the Sheffield for £60 and replacement Ceramic Bearings for the Sheffield for £12

Spare Spools/Bearings for OKUMA Centrepins

but whatever you decide to get good luck.

if i had seen this i think i would have gone for the sheffield ho well i have been thinking i well need two reels one for 3lb line and one with 5 lb ha ha :D:D:lol::rolleyes: