Tyre Chains for Snow & Ice

Newt

Are tyre chains allowed in the UK?

With all the snow, ice, and travel discussions current on forums, I haven't heard any mention of them and they are certainly far superior to any tyre including the ones with metal studs built into the tyre body.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Are tyre chains allowed in the UK?

With all the snow, ice, and travel discussions current on forums, I haven't heard any mention of them and they are certainly far superior to any tyre including the ones with metal studs built into the tyre body.

Yeah, we can use them but those that have them, can't find them.

Very rarely that the whole of your journey will be on roads that you need them. Not sure how long tyres would last with chains on snow-free roads.

I remember seeing one of the first Mini's in the 60s with snow chains on the rear wheels!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

They need to come off when the roads are clear although if you hold your speed down, driving a mile or three on clear pavement won't hurt them or the tyre.

The process of mounting and unmounting them is pretty quick. To install them simply lay them out in front of the tyres, drive forward until the wheel is at about the center, and hook the ends. Takes less than 5 minutes and removal is even faster since you just unhook and drive off of them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

halfords is sold out around this area so are in demand, no good for most places but surreys roads and infrastructure is so bad you can go for miles on snow ,at least the snows filling the millions of pot holes.

trouble is if councillors supping their 1907 Heidsieck see you managing to get around they will merely stop buying half the salt they need next year so they can buy more bottles for their tea breaks :rolleyes:

if they are sit at home burning tax payers fivers doing nothing now when they know the roads are rubbish what do you think they will do if they think (because your driving about with chains) they will do if they think you dont need it gritting?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As mentioned we really need them so infrequently as to be of next to no use. Plus most things if everyone else doesn't have them then you're still going to end up stuck behind someone.

People in areas that get more predictable bad weather would typically just switch to winter tyres for the winter season, and revert back.

As an aside, Amazon still have snow chains in stock and I may consider them just to leave in the car boot for emergencies.

Rob.

They were carried as spares where I used to work. Admittedly for HGV's what a pain to fit. Only once was I in a vehicle that had them fitted and was actually driven. Seemed to work well if the road was covered in a decent layer of snow. Typically though only part of the route was snow covered. the vehicle was driven approx 10 miles. The chains were scrapped when we returned as they were actually severly damaged.

Edited by grumpybum

They need to come off when the roads are clear although if you hold your speed down, driving a mile or three on clear pavement won't hurt them or the tyre.;

The process of mounting and unmounting them is pretty quick. To install them simply lay them out in front of the tyres, drive forward until the wheel is at about the center, and hook the ends. Takes less than 5 minutes and removal is even faster since you just unhook and drive off of them.

Hi Newt we would drive on the pavement but I think the pedestrians would be a little irate :D as it is the side walk over here :) . Saying that most people who are walking are on the road as this country is absolutely crap at snow clearance .How the older end of our society get about is beyond me.I personally am doing shopping for 6 pensioners who cannot get out safely and they only live 300 yards fom the supermarket

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

ive never understood why the brits dont make more use of chains to be honest. im not sure how much they cost there, but here you can even buy them in large supermarkets. i saw some advertised yesterday at under 20€.

I dont need to buy them for my area, but if i was doing a trip further away, i would just chuck them in the back, they dont take up any room.

There is also a thing like a "sleeve" that goes over a normal tyre. ive never used them, but apparently they are quick and easy to put on, and converts your normal tyre to a snow tyre n moments.

Yes we get them here too. But not quite so cheap I don't think? But then again we get some REAL snow!! Not like the UK??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))