best centerpin under £100?

watatoad

Word of advise I would not recommend the Greys Bewick way to small for trotting on large rivers.

And the one I had was terrible not a solid reel at all in fact it felt like it would fall apart at any minute. The centre screw would also tighten up on its own accord and the plastic handles has play on them from new. I sent it back for a refund.

For the money you cannot go beyond the Okumas the Bewick is not in the same league.

If you can go a little bit more Allcocks match Aerials are the dogs -------

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word of advise I would not recommend the Greys Bewick way to small for trotting on large rivers.

And the one I had was terrible not a solid reel at all in fact it felt like it would fall apart at any minute. The centre screw would also tighten up on its own accord and the plastic handles has play on them from new. I sent it back for a refund.

For the money you cannot go beyond the Okumas the Bewick is not in the same league.

If you can go a little bit more Allcocks match Aerials are the dogs -------

Funny that...about your Bewick I mean. I really like mine and think it's good for small or large river alike. Maybe your's had been damaged some way before you bought it ?

Guest bbamboo

For what is worth I have a Greys Bewick and the Okuma sheffield.

If I had to chose I would pick the Okuma its a solid piece of kit for the money.

Just my opinion

For what is worth I have a Greys Bewick and the Okuma sheffield.

If I had to chose I would pick the Okuma its a solid piece of kit for the money.

Just my opinion

I also have both and I do like the sheffield, but saying that I like the Bewick n'all. Which is best....I suppose it's personal preference.

I've had an Okuma Aventa 1002 for several years now-in fact I think i bought it when they first appeared on the market in this country.It gets used for mullet fishing and has been subjected to mud and saltwater and being accidentally dropped on rocks etc.It's got a few scratches but,it runs just as good ,if not better ,than when it was new-probably because the bearings have bedded in.I do wash it thoroughly in freshwater and add a drop of thin oil after EVERY trip.

I can also recommend a Trudex-an ebay find that has also proved to be a robust and smoothly operationg pin.Both these reels will get spinning with the lightest of floats when trotting.

A mate has just purchased a Berwick and it does look and feel like a very competent reel but, it does appear to be a bit more delicate than the above.

Hope this helps.

thats worth it at the buy it now price

Can’t disagree with much of whats’ been said already. The Okuma Aventa Pro is excellent for the money and I am surprised no one has mentioned the Leeds. Also, if you are on a budget, you can do a lot worse than the Shakespeare Lincoln. I use my regularly and it revolves more freely than reels I own costing three or four times the money. Would personally be wary of buying a ‘pin from eBay unless you live close enough to the seller to look before your buy. I’ve had my fingers burned of flea bay before now as the seller’s definition of “excellent condition, spins freely with no wobble” may be different to yours.

With regards to a rod to go with it, it all depends on where and for what you are fishing. For the rivers I like the John Wilson signature trotting rod. Don’t know if they are still available, but they are lovely tippy rod and ideal for trotting.

Guest bbamboo

Can’t disagree with much of whats’ been said already. The Okuma Aventa Pro is excellent for the money and I am surprised no one has mentioned the Leeds. Also, if you are on a budget, you can do a lot worse than the Shakespeare Lincoln. I use my regularly and it revolves more freely than reels I own costing three or four times the money. Would personally be wary of buying a ‘pin from eBay unless you live close enough to the seller to look before your buy. I’ve had my fingers burned of flea bay before now as the seller’s definition of “excellent condition, spins freely with no wobble” may be different to yours.

I think the lincoln was recommended before.

Must say never seen one does it run on bearings that reel ?

Gary

Hi Toady, Mine is the mkII. I purposely didn't get the markI as they had quality issues and because of the screw adjustment on the pin. The way to quickly identify between the two is that the centre boss cab has three screws on the mark II.

I cannot understand the reply about the poor quality bewick because this one is very good. Also, the comments about it being fragile, well, i described it as good for light tackle and small to medium rivers. I have also dropped mine twice allready and it is fine.

The original question was for a centrepin for small to medium rivers, thats why I surgest the bewick, if it had been asked for a pin for large rivers I may surgest the okuma, i wouldn't as i dont like them, but they are good for the price. I have a BJ and purist for larger rivers. I wouldn't surgest the Trudex or Rapidex as i don't like the handle positions as i catch my knuckles on one when winding using the other.

The Bewick is a plain bearing pin reel and so should get better with age. I set mine up spinning with an airmain on it at work for a few hours and it now runs like a dream. Despite its size it is becoming my favourite and the other day I switched from my Alcocks Aerial to the Bewick due to its casting ability, lack of line bed problems and weight. I wish the Aerial had a slightly wider drum otherwise, if you could get a good one for under £100, I would recommend it for the larger rivers.

Other considerations are distance between reel foot and spool rim and ease of maintenance. Unfortunatly the okumas hace a screw to undo before you can remove the spool for cleaning, this does put me off them a bit. I often put mind down and get fine grit in the workings. A quick removal allows me to clean it out more easily. I got snow in the bewick which froze up. A frozen thread may have been a lot harder to undo.

I knew this would happen you xyz''...hehehe

You have got him hooked he has caught the centrepin plague, is going to buy an

Okuma Aventa pro.

a speedia

and a 1960's aerial or two as he put it, hehehe

EDIT

He says he's going to buy one a month because he can use them and keep what he likes and sell any he doesn't although he pointed out that he will need several for different lines...about to be a poor s*d he is.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God