salt, meltwater and fish

viney

how long does it take the fish to get used to the higher content of salt and meltwater in the rivers and begin feeding again? is there any variation between fish, if so which species will start feeding/adapt to the conditions before others? cheers matt

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends on a lot of things, but the simple fact is that some rivers deal better with it than others, even rivers which are quite close to each other. There are several rivers around me, some of which I won't even think about fishing for another week, as the snow melt will take time to work its way down, but a couple might be OK as soon as tomorrow, as the snow melt will run off much faster. The snow here melted much quicker than I was expecting, and it's pretty much all gone now (phew!). I would just fish for chub for the time being though as they're the most reliable species in dodgy conditions!

I've seen salt discussed on other forums recently, and would be interested in the views of ANers - does all the salt and grit washed off the roads actually make such - or any - difference? Or it is simply the cold, deoxygenated snow melt that knackers the fishing?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That depends on a lot of things, but the simple fact is that some rivers deal better with it than others, even rivers which are quite close to each other. There are several rivers around me, some of which I won't even think about fishing for another week, as the snow melt will take time to work its way down, but a couple might be OK as soon as tomorrow, as the snow melt will run off much faster. The snow here melted much quicker than I was expecting, and it's pretty much all gone now (phew!). I would just fish for chub for the time being though as they're the most reliable species in dodgy conditions!

I've seen salt discussed on other forums recently, and would be interested in the views of ANers - does all the salt and grit washed off the roads actually make such - or any - difference? Or it is simply the cold, deoxygenated snow melt that knackers the fishing?

that makes my decision for tomorrow alot easier! going to try an open feeder with liquidised bread in for chub rather than wading and trotting for grayling (gutted i wont be trying out my new waders though!) although its been said that the lambourn clears through quicker than the kennet? only got a few hours in the morning so i dont want to waste them!

that makes my decision for tomorrow alot easier! going to try an open feeder with liquidised bread in for chub rather than wading and trotting for grayling (gutted i wont be trying out my new waders though!) although its been said that the lambourn clears through quicker than the kennet? only got a few hours in the morning so i dont want to waste them!

Went to the Lambourne for a couple of hours this morning and had a couple of Grayling and bumped off a bigger one ,Was far from prolific though so Chub may well be your best bet ,lambourne was hardly coloured but was up a fair way Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

JV44 and I were at the Lambourn this morning, only for a couple of hours as the wind and rain got to us. I've never seen it so high, totally different to Friday when it was its normal clear self. We did catch, JV44 the proper fish and me the Minnows.

I'd say it's worth a quick drive by, it might recover overnight. If the Lambourn was affected by the fast snow melt the Kennet will probably be worse and it won't recover as quickly.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

JV44 and I were at the Lambourn this morning, only for a couple of hours as the wind and rain got to us. I've never seen it so high, totally different to Friday when it was its normal clear self. We did catch, JV44 the proper fish and me the Minnows.

I'd say it's worth a quick drive by, it might recover overnight. If the Lambourn was affected by the fast snow melt the Kennet will probably be worse and it won't recover as quickly.

lambourn is closest so ill have a look there first, its hammering it down so not feeling too hopefull!

I'm off to teh Kennet tomorrow. If it's awful, I may drop onto the Lambourn, or even a stillwater. MY GOD.

I'll let you know how i get on.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I'm off to teh Kennet tomorrow. If it's awful, I may drop onto the Lambourn, or even a stillwater. MY GOD.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Snap & snap - though not trice snap! :rolleyes:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I think the salt would not be too muchof a problem on larger rivers due to dilution rates. However, where i live in far NW highlands there are loads of roadside lochs with small feeder streams and small outflows. All the salt does wash into the lochs and as saline water is denser than freshwater it is possible that a layer of saline/brackish water might occur on the loch bottom. The aspect of road salt is what else it comtains, i have tried to find out but the powers that be won't let on as cyanide is thought to be present in it.

One problem we also found on a small stream next to a salt depot was that leaching caused a change in water quality, eutrophication took place and this then became blocked with weeds and overgrown vegetation, blocking access to Salmon and Sea Trout and smothering spawning areas.