Royalty going syndicate?

Paul Boote

"I am not a number, I'm a free man!"

Seems that I just can't escape from the AngNet Village.

The following posted this morning on a flyfishing forum by 'cacangler':

"The Royalty is not going syndicate

Southern Fisheries are the new lease holders

The fishery changes hands on 13/03/06

Course fishing will not change.

The CAC bid was actually higher than that of Southern fisheries, the Royalty was lost due to bad fishery managment, committee apathy and blind complacency.

Soon to be Redundant Royalty bailiff"

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful start to the day. Peter and Paul (no Mary ?) get it entirely wrong and its Margaret Thatchers 80th birthday.

Happy birthday Maggie, you're sorely missed in Downing Street.

[ 13. October 2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll:

What a wonderful start to the day. Peter and Paul (no Mary ?) get it entirely wrong and its Margaret Thatchers 80th birthday.

Happy birthday Maggie, you're sorely missed in  Downing Street.

As big-hearted and generous in spirit to your fellow fishers as ever, I see, Argyll...

AngNet-ers:

Try my reply #43 today on this forum page -

http://flyforums.proboards53.com/index.cgi...28948394&page=3

Then proceed to page 4 of the same thread to discover why I am generally agin fishery takeovers with their inevitable somewhere-down-the-line ticket-price hikes.

[ 13. October 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

As big-hearted and generous in spirit to your fellow fishers as ever, I see, Argyll...

Thats how I hope most find me Paul.

But in lieu of a simple 'hey I got it wrong' from you, I thought a bit of a ribbing was on the cards. Your hastily put together synopsis of the situation was picked up on a number of other forums and wrongly reported. Real wars often start just like that.

When you find Peter Waller being quoted about the Royalty fishery on barbel forums then its time to get back to some form of reality.

[ 13. October 2005, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

Malcolm Johns:

Wher is Mary? (have to be of a certain age)

So much for 'Angling Unity'

As for sea trout; Northern rivers knock the Avon into touch, and we have big barbel, chub and dace.

Ah, Malcolm, but then the contagions and plagues of the 'hothouse' English South have a nasty tendency to very quickly migrate Northwards...

'Then proceed to page 4 of the same thread to discover why I am generally agin fishery takeovers with their inevitable somewhere-down-the-line ticket-price hikes'

If you were more aware of the history of the Royalty you would know that in 2001 when CAC were granted the lease from the then local water authority we had.......guess what? 'Shock horror, whats going to become of the coarse fishing' CAC had to put out a statement saying ...guess what? 'nothing will change'....and that was greeted with some derision and panic stories about game anglers flashing the cash. Never happened.

CAC even without the Royalty are amongst the most water rich clubs in the country, with some fine fishing on the lower and middle avon and some sought after chunks of the stour, plus a catalogue of other river beats and stillwaters. So as an organisation they are not exactly going to collapse overnight. Besides their members who want to fish the Royalty will still be able to do so at a cost no higher than the rest of us.

They are also one of the most expensive clubs in the country with membership costing around 150 quid a year. Game fishing day tickets on the Royalty are also pricey (well to me they are) and whilst this water is improving, its salmon tally this year is still only 77. Split between the number of members and non members that fished it this season, I would say that most went home dissapointed and a good few quid lighter. So who in their right mind would pay big bucks for exclusive game rights to the Royalty?

There are rarely reported any clashes between individual coarse and game anglers and largely with their feet firmly on the ground, I do believe that they understand that they each are financially supportive of the others ability to fish and no one group would ever be able to make it financial viable as either just a coarse or a game fishery. Those are the hard money facts. Thats why your vision of the future was never going to take off.

You might not like prices going up but thats progress for you. Southern fisheries are talking about making improvements, some of which I supect that regulars will appreciate and probably not be too upset about having to pay a couple of quid more for. It never ceases to amaze me how anglers will happily put thirty quids worth of petrol in their tank, pay a fortune for exotic baits, additives and the 'right rod and reel' and then moan about paying ten quid for a day fishing.

Come and join us in 2005 Paul, it doesnt hurt a bit.

[ 14. October 2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'Horrors of horrors Lee. This is a recent royalty barbel caught by Lord Wallis of Billinghurst.'

Certainly been made easier to catch a barbel from the Royalty since CAC took the lease. In years gone by you had to be off well before dark. Could only use a single rod too when I first began fishing it.

Cant see where any problem has been caused by Peter n Paul airing their worries. Personally I was obliged for having the subject bought to my attention, as I no longer subscribe very often to the weeklies. The fact that they SEEM to have been unduly concerned is just a relief to me.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

argyll:

Come and join us in 2005 Paul, it doesnt hurt a bit.

Those who know me know me to be someone who has always been (and still is) some WAY AHEAD of the rest of the Angling Pack - doing 'serious' centrepins, bass, mullet, salmon, sea-trout, barbel, roach, dace, grayling, Indian mahseer, Congolese Goliath tigerfish, trout, sea-trout and dorado in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay and Southern Brazil, Thames Trout before any of you saw so much a mention of them as the hot, new, must-do thing in the comics...

If you had seen and experienced what I have in recent years - above all, encountered, known and tried to treat with constructively some of the unseen, unknown 'monsters' lurking about behind the scenes at the top end of our pastime (forever pulling the strings, to ensure that things continue work out their way)- you would be worried - not for me, but for your pastime!

Join you in 2005?

Been there and done it, and already moved some way on.

I'll see you when you catch up.

[ 13. October 2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]