Are MCZ's A 'Done Deal'?

Elton

It would be worth asking them. They are much more open and above board than the AT, and, while I certainly don't agree with them all the time, they are at least willing to debate issues rather than think they are right and you are wrong. This is a link to their website which may help fill in some of the blanks in your knowledge of them. http://www.ssacn.org/

Thanks Seafoods, a lot of info and some really good links especially regarding some of the latesr MCZ drafts that the AT haven't bothered informing RSAs about!

How many members do they have, i couldn't find that bit :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Seafoods, a lot of info and some really good links especially regarding some of the latesr MCZ drafts that the AT haven't bothered informing RSAs about!

How many members do they have, i couldn't find that bit :)

I think they only have around 500 paid up members - but enjoy broader support than that among the average RSA. Their positive high profile seems to attract good press from the media for RSA's and most folk would throw in with them if push came to shove. Strangely I reckon as they are seen to be doing things in the 'right manner' with RSA's at heart most RSA's up here don't feel 'the need to join' as they are 'doing ok' - opposite of the AT.

Wasn't the SSACN just an offshoot of the SACN?

Steve - sort of but NO - we came about when those of us who were involved in conservation activities for the Scottish Federation of Sea Anglers, SACN (Scotland) and Save Our Sharks decided to come together and create a new and independent body - the Scottish Sea Angling Conservation Network. We have been a registered Scottish Charity for a couple of years now.

We're quite happy to try and answer any questions, emailing contact@ssacn.org will guarantee a response.

Especially in that both SACs (and Special Protection Areas (SPAs)) cannot take account of social or economic considerations and are based entirely on the scientific case for protection.

Marine Conservation Zone draft comments sought by Defra

Friday, 05 February 2010 11:34

DEFRA is asking for comments on its draft guidance for selecting Marine Conservation Zones.

A second draft of the guidance was published on Defra’s website last week, along with other guidance notes. Defra wants to receive comments on the guidance before it is finalised this spring.

The guidance deals with the selection and designation of Marine Conservation Zones.

It explains proposals to use the power contained in the recent Marine and Coastal Access Act to designate Marine Conservation Zones as part of a wider network of marine protected areas (which will also include European protected marine sites).

It also explains how Defra intends to take account of social and economic considerations and the approach it will take in setting conservation objectives for Marine Conservation Zones.

The guidance also explains the duties placed on public authorities in relation to Marine Conservation Zones by the recent Marine and Coastal Access Act.

And it provides further guidance on the general offence of intentionally or recklessly damaging the features of Marine Conservation Zones, which applies to all zones throughout inshore and offshore waters.

To comment on the draft guidance, email marinebiodiversity@defra.gsi.gov.uk This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or telephone 0117 372 8339. In Wales, email marine@wales.gsi.gov.uk This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Alternatively, comments can be mailed to Defra Marine Biodiversity Policy Team, 1/05 Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Bristol, BS1 6EB or Welsh Assembly Government, Marine Branch, Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3NQ

I believe that the MCZ's are a different project to SAC's and SPA's. Socio economic impact will be taken into account with SAC's and SPA's when the time comes to consult on proposed restrictions, but at the moment the job of Natural England is just to identify where the sites will be. No one, not even Natural England, knows what restrictions might be put in place on SAC's and SPA's, so no one knows yet what the socio economic impact might be on different stakeholders.

Yuk, I've used the words 'socio economic' and 'stakeholder' all in the same post. Phleeww! I'm off to wash my fingers.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I believe that the MCZ's are a different project to SAC's and SPA's. Socio economic impact will be taken into account with SAC's and SPA's when the time comes to consult on proposed restrictions, but at the moment the job of Natural England is just to identify where the sites will be. No one, not even Natural England, knows what restrictions might be put in place on SAC's and SPA's, so no one knows yet what the socio economic impact might be on different stakeholders.

Yuk, I've used the words 'socio economic' and 'stakeholder' all in the same post. Phleeww! I'm off to wash my fingers.

All these acronyms for all these different plans confuse me Steve, why couldn't they just bring in one thing instead of all this nonsense - not enough quangos needed I suppose.

All these acronyms for all these different plans confuse me Steve, why couldn't they just bring in one thing instead of all this nonsense - not enough quangos needed I suppose.

I know, it's a nightmare. The way it's going, the whole ocean will be taken up with some closed area or another and there won't be anywhere left to go.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I know, it's a nightmare. The way it's going, the whole ocean will be taken up with some closed area or another and there won't be anywhere left to go.

Only where the Angling mistrust have been sticking their nose in steve.

Letter to the ngo's.

Dear Sirs, as there is no evidence of damage caused by the rsa to any habitats, please do not arrange any zones to be restricted for the same.

End of discussion as far as i'm concerned.

Please send to relevant persons.

Hot air on forums counts for nothing.

Please send to relevant persons.

Hot air on forums counts for nothing.

Done your's then or you just here for some sport. Guessing that i haven't sent any off are you?

At the moment, i'm being ignored by the mcs as my views don't fit in with there's, no surprise there. How you getting on?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..