Short rods

Sportsman

Depending on the taper Dave it would be a bit better but still not as good as a proper match/float rod blank.Line pick up on the strike is going to be obviously impaired by the lack of length but the fine tip and relatively stiff middle section of a proper match/float blank will help this a lot as well as giving better protection for fine hook lengths and small hooks.

You would be able to pick up a float/match rod (ready built) for a lot cheaper than a half decent blank! Just strip off the rings you dont need and splice the length of the rod you require back into the original handle.

OK See what you mean. I have an old Shakespeare 13ft match rod laying around that I never use. Now where did I put that hacksaw :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

One problem I would imagine you would have using a short rod for chub would be keeping them away from the nearside bank to stop them getting to snaggs. I've foung the extra lengh of a rod even on small rivers is more of an advantage than disadvantage.

I'd try and stick to 11ft or over.

Edited by Tigger

One problem I would imagine you would have using a short rod for chub would be keeping them away from the nearside bank to stop them getting to snaggs. I've foung the extra lengh of a rod even on small rivers is more of an advantage than disadvantage.

I'd try and stick to 11ft or over.

The beauty of fly rod blanks and small streams (that I've found) is that distance striking and playing of fish is not usually an issue. The problem is usually access and, as Tigger mentions, fighting fish out of a tight hole.

Where the fly rod comes into its own is the total flexibility, obviously I use cane but I would imagine it works with other materials to a point. I tend to use a stronger line than normal, say 6-8lb as opposed to 4-5lb. You don't have to worry about bullying the fish and the rod action acts as a great shock absorber along its whole length. It works really well (for me) on narrow streams in inaccessible situations.

Some of the little chub streams that I've fished you'd be stood 7' back from the bank with an 11' rod :D

Incidentally, Allcock's made a fly rod called the Sapper. They varied in length between about 9' and 10' I believe. They also made a float version, same blank but a longer handle. If anyone's got one and wants to sell it, let me know before I alter my fly version :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I suppose if you could only really use a short rod, one which would most likely be suitable would be the greys G-lite spin. I use one for perch and have had pike just under double figures on it. It's a nice soft action and is great for playing fish under the tip.

Mitchell manufacture the 10ft Match Premium rod at a very sensible price. I have used mine quite a bit and caught some good fish from a small overgrown stream and can recommend it as nice handling shortish rod off the peg. At around 30 quid it is the price of a set of rod rings. You get what you pay for I guess but it really is hard to fault if 10ft is short enough.

I have no regrets and really had my money's worth

I love stalking with small rods, especially where overhead space is limited.

Yes control is tricky so plan carefully.

Options for a small rod

Cut down a large rod and add a handle.

Start from scratch with a top section from a blank rod.

Combine sections from different rods... this is the most fun. I have taken a floppy top section from a cheap ABU match rod and put it on a bottom section from a spinning rod. This produces a rod that has a soft spring in the top section to soak up the early run and then it hits the rigid mid section to help control the fish.

"Muddlin' along"