Magazine articles

Anderoo

I thought that was the point

The general public see anglers as nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Most anglers see Waterlog readers as especially nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Waterlog readers see Waterlog contributers as extremely nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Waterlog contributers see the Waterlog cruciverbalist as cataclysmically nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch :lol:

Hmm - I so much wanted to like Waterlog , beautifully produced and a quality publication all round.Shame about the writing , too much of which is not so much esoteric as Chris Yates parody . Chris can do whimsy but few others can.I cancelled my subscription as I found it near unreadable.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that was the point

The general public see anglers as nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Most anglers see Waterlog readers as especially nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Waterlog readers see Waterlog contributers as extremely nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Waterlog contributers see the Waterlog cruciverbalist as cataclysmically nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch :lol:

Well I've certainly not got close to cracking one of your crosswords yet!!! Maybe I should have said TOO esoteric at times...!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'm not complaining about adverts, by the way - a magazine needs ads, and I certainly don't begrudge them that. In fact I often flick through the ad pages. It's adverts disguised as copy/photos that I can't bear, references dropped in nonchalantly every other paragraph and logos that 'happen' to be in every photo.

For me it leaves a very bad brand impression. Pallatrax-sponsered anglers are one of the very worst offendors, and I have developed such an aversion to the brand that I could now never actually buy anything made by them. Kind of the wrong result from their point of view, I'd have thought! Even Tony Miles (how could you? :rolleyes: ) name-drops Pallatrax.

Whether the companies themselves pressure/incentivise the writers to do it or whether they simply feel obligated, I neither know nor care. I just find it all a shame.

I might write to the editors of the two mags mentioned to see what response I get.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sums it up for me that Anderoo! Dont mind the adverts to keep the cost down but Im not going to pay for them! and thats what we are doing when they are dressed up as so called articles!

Strange that the game magazines that have always been heavy on advertising dont ever cary the same "advertarticles" that the coarse mags seem to entirely consist of now isnt it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The habit dies hard

For the Bitterling feature in AM I used an old bamboo roach pole, about five feet of 3 lb maxima, a homemade quill float and some size 26 hooks to 12oz nylon I have had for about 20 years. I didn't look at the makers name

To my surprise, the make of hook was mentioned in the feature, and was "news" to me ! So I went to my tackle cupboard and checked, and yes the reporter was right.

I've already forgotten what make they were, so I don't expect any sponsorship remuneration........ :)

However, I will say that in the three features AM have done on my species hunting, they have reported things fairly and accurately. The staff I have dealt with do seem to have a good grasp of angling across the spectrum.

Can't say the same for the national press that have pirated parts of those features tho'.............. :angry:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I sometimes think that maybe I'm being to hard on the mags and its simply that Ive just "out grown them" Now that may sound conceited but do you know what I mean?

But that said all I need to do is pick up some of my old "Anglers Mail Annuals" and read some of the stuff in them (remember the annuals contained the most "commercial" articles and no where near as in depth stuff as the paper often did) and compare!

Ive said it a million times,I have no problems with advertising,I have no problems with people saying exactly what gear/bait etc they used (even if it is gear from their sponsors) but just hate product placement "advertarticles" that are wrote purely to showcase products rather than inform or entertain.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I wonder what the likelihood is of getting an article about this subject published in one of the mags? ;)

I had another go at that chub article yesterday. He favours hooks to nylon. Guess which brand? Guess also if there's a big picture of a few packets of them?

Aargh!

Could it be - in some cases, at least - that some writers simply struggle to fill the word count without this padding? That writing 1,500 words, or whatever it is, on feeding and watercraft (the only things that will actually help me) is too difficult?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Could it be ...... That writing 1,500 words, or whatever it is, on feeding and watercraft (the only things that will actually help me) is too difficult?

Actually maybe it is. I think the very best anglers just kind of know what to do and when to do it. If its a subconcious sort of thing I reckon its must be quite hard to explain it to other people?

Rich

Actually maybe it is. I think the very best anglers just kind of know what to do and when to do it. If its a subconcious sort of thing I reckon its must be quite hard to explain it to other people?

Rich

Julian gave it a good stab with regards to carp fishing:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/carp-fishing-a...watercraft.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE