4lb river perch or 30lb river pike

tiddlertamer

I'm a useless predator angler spending most of my time long trotting for silver fish.

But both perch and pike fascinate me.

I love catching 'stripeys'.

I step back in awe when a big pike lunges at my long trotted prize of roach, dace or chub.

Which fish would you most like to catch and why?

The 4lb river perch or 30lb river pike?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a useless predator angler spending most of my time long trotting for silver fish.

But both perch and pike fascinate me.

I love catching 'stripeys'.

I step back in awe when a big pike lunges at my long trotted prize of roach, dace or chub.

Which fish would you most like to catch and why?

The 4lb river perch or 30lb river pike?

Thats a very interesting one, I fish for perch alot and feel a little unlucky in always missing out on the big ones, in that way I'd like to slowly work my way up to 4lbs not get there all at once.

As for pike I almost never fish for them (once in the last 5 years) as I don't like treble hooks and snap tackles. I do find pike fascinating tho and catch a fair number whilst perching, I lost a very big one a few years ago on perch gear. So I'd love to see a biggie but I wouldn't mind if someone else caught it.

All in all I'd go for the perch but after 5 or ten years whilst catching snipers bigger ones getting towards 4lbs one ounce at a time!

Does that make and sense, am I wierd?

Rich

It is a difficult choice as they are both fish of my dreams, I think if I had to choose it would be the 30lb pike as I feel they are far rarer than a 4lb perch these days.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

It is a difficult choice as they are both fish of my dreams, I think if I had to choose it would be the 30lb pike as I feel they are far rarer than a 4lb perch these days.

lyn

Yes i would say the same 30lb river Pike the stuff of dreams to be sure ,But i did have one approaching this mark follow my lure last week at Speen Moors so i am heading back after her on Saturday hopefully ,that is assuming that she is still in residence in that swim and has not disappeared into the maze of side streams for spawning ,To early yet?? Budgie?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Tough call but although 4lb perch may not be that rare in the south of the country, they are about as common as hens teeth in the midlands. It's be the perch for me.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Tough call but although 4lb perch may not be that rare in the south of the country, they are about as common as hens teeth in the midlands. It's be the perch for me.

Perch for me to.

I know of waters up here that have 30lb+ pike which includes my local river. As for river perch, I would be happy with a 2 pounder and wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for a 4 pounder.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I'm like Richard, I like to work slowly up to the monsters, and for that reason it has to be the perch.

My biggest pike is 18lb (caught a looong time ago) and to jump from that to a giant of 30lb is...well, it would feel a bit wrong if you know what I mean! I wouldn't feel like I really deserved it! This happened with bream, and it's quite an odd feeling, your PB being twice the size of your second biggest.

With perch though, I have now been fortunate enough to catch a few which are approaching the magic '4', so I would feel like I'd earned it. I know a couple of river stretches where a 4 is possible, but even though big perch are relatively common these days, a 4lber is still a very rare fish indeed. Only a handful of genuine 4s are caught each year.

It would of course be caught in the half-light of a damp, overcast, mild evening, with a proper boy's perch float sitting in the slow water behind an overhanging tree and a big lobworm as bait.

Hmm, I really want to go perch fishing now :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Being a newbie to the fishing world, I've not caught either yet! - but I'll probably choose the Perch, like others have said, start smaller and work my way up... plus, with the gear I own at the minute I doubt I'd be able to land a 30lb pike! :)

Cheers,

Stooby...

I think this season will probably be one of my best shots at actually catching a 4lb perch. I had a couple of really good perch earlier in the year which, if I recaught on the final weekend of the season, would be over 4lb. These two:

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

Right at the back end of the season, they pack on weight, and turn into a completely different shape, like this one:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/post-a6078-.html

What I wouldn't give to get either of the first two (especially the second one!) when they look like the third! Yikes!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music