ALONG THE EAST COAST IT ALIVE WITH SMALL CODLING

big_cod

Poor Paul could be insulted by that comment!!

All good intensions clive but in reality they will probably give that poor angler who has never seen a cod this winter a 2 fish bag limit before they do anything constructive it will all work it out for itself in the long run it might end up like the grand banks sooner than you think lets hope not for everybody sake its good job we didnt target wurzells soles or there would be bother :angry:

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good intensions clive but in reality they will probably give that poor angler who has never seen a cod this winter a 2 fish bag limit before they do anything constructive it will all work it out for itself in the long run it might end up like the grand banks sooner than you think lets hope not for everybody sake its good job we didnt target wurzells soles or there would be bother :angry:

paul.

I guess you are about right there Paul, Us anglers breaching our bag limits will be much easier targets to boost their crime statistics, just like speed cameras. At the end of the day every fishing location will be plastered with Big Brother cameras.

Did you watch the End of the Line, Wurzels favourite programme??

Anyway I'm 60 tomorrow and off to Iceland for a few days winter holidayand to find out how to look after fish stocks. Don't join the EU I guess

I guess you are about right there Paul, Us anglers breaching our bag limits will be much easier targets to boost their crime statistics, just like speed cameras. At the end of the day every fishing location will be plastered with Big Brother cameras.

Did you watch the End of the Line, Wurzels favourite programme??

Anyway I'm 60 tomorrow and off to Iceland for a few days winter holidayand to find out how to look after fish stocks. Don't join the EU I guess

Have a good one clive we are out again today chaseing those ellusive cod and oh dont try to decimate those icelandic cod stocks when you are up there. ;)

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

Mornin Wurzel, couldn't open the first link was it in word? Only got works set up on mine. <_< Liked the size of the second lot. Hope they got big freezers. Wonder if the missus will let me book a long weekend or something. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I wish it would.

Grand_Banks_Cod_come_back.doc

www.bigfishcharters.htm

Look at the off shore charters.

Isnt it just longline fishing these days which are fished commercially in those areas its the only way to go have a look this then and this was from the shore my best cod was 20lb 3oz in 1978 from slatwick beach to the south of whitby but we never caught this size from the shore.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=14077.0

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

Isnt it just longline fishing these days which are fished commercially in those areas its the only way to go

No it's not Paul, how many prawns are caught on long lines or soles, plaice, lemons, whighting, or even coal fish and haddock, how many lines would the Kristanjo or the Good Intent have to work and how much cod would they need to catch to maintain their present income, what about the super stars from Peter Head? are you saying they should all turn to long lining for cod?

You are not living in the real world, You've got four boats left at Whitby out of about twenty that were there when I was there, no matter how you put it they are not a threat to your sport.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Mornin Wurzel, couldn't open the first link was it in word? Only got works set up on mine. <_< Liked the size of the second lot. Hope they got big freezers. Wonder if the missus will let me book a long weekend or something. :)

Hello Barry

I've copyed and pasted for you.

It seems to me that it is in the interests of many to keep the lid on information about the Grand Banks cod stocks.

Canada

Every time the role of overfishing as the main cause for stocks‘ depletion is disputed, the demise of the Northern cod is used as a proof of overfishing. But, it is quite possible that it was an oceanographic-climatic shift that brought down the cod. Catch data from the past show striking similarities between Greenland and Labrador. Both cod stocks collapsed, with a one year interval, in 1969 and 1970.

In 1990, just before the moratorium, the Canadian stock showed all symptoms of starvation, the fish had low condition factor, low liver index, showed reduced size at maturity, big fish were disappearing (dying) at a higher rate than small fish, etc. Interestingly, non commercial species also disappeared. Arctic char in Labrador suffered from starvation and high natural mortality. Landings drop suddenly 1969 at Greenland and a year later at Labrador This has been related to cold water anomaly moving south from Greenland.

Now cod is coming back in Greenland and according to Wappel (2005), at the coast of Newfoundland cod is plentiful.

. .

From the hearings in Newfoundland September 2005:

" We have a large inshore stock in Bonavista, Trinity, and Notre Dame Bays that has been increasing yearly, in my view. Inshore fishermen cannot fish for any species with nets without having large bycatches. Last year, in a three-week blackback fishery, approximately 400 tonnes of cod were landed as bycatch. This year it was cut down to a two-week blackback fishery. We landed 1,000 tonnes of northern cod out of that fishery. In my view, this is a very positive sign of rebuilding — more fish spread over a larger area."

In fact, in Bonavista and Trinity Bay, the cod, as far as I'm concerned, is just as plentiful as when John Cabot landed there, if not more so. When the capelin come in there, the cod roll on the beaches chasing the capelin. In the years when there was plenty of cod, before the moratorium, we never saw that. Now I don't know if it's the actual overabundance of cod in the area that's causing it. They’re not starved to death. They're healthy looking fish, and large fish, right."

Douglas Sweetland

"Fishermen are getting cod in lobster pots. They're getting them in herring nets. That never used to occur before."

Jacob Hunt

I fish to live and live to fish.

No it's not Paul, how many prawns are caught on long lines or soles, plaice, lemons, whighting, or even coal fish and haddock, how many lines would the Kristanjo or the Good Intent have to work and how much cod would they need to catch to maintain their present income, what about the super stars from Peter Head? are you saying they should all turn to long lining for cod?

You are not living in the real world, You've got four boats left at Whitby out of about twenty that were there when I was there, no matter how you put it they are not a threat to your sport.

When they tow the same piece of ground, day in day out Peter they wipe out local stocks. Plus you dont just have those 4 boats. Trawlers from across the UK and even Europe come here at certain times of year. The area can not withstand the attention it gets. At least if they were lining they would do away with discards. As one ex trawler skipper said to me the other week. Under 10 meter Boats working lines should be free from quota. He could see it was the way forward.