ALONG THE EAST COAST IT ALIVE WITH SMALL CODLING

big_cod

Here of whitby there seems to be a hell of a lot undersized codlings from 3-8" long it is fantastic opportunity to protect these small fish this comeing year unless they caught before they become a decent sized fish every year many thousands of undersized codling are slaughtered throughout the herring spawn period this would mean a disaster for these small codling it has never ever been a better time to change the way in which small cod need protecting then it is now is the time there is defernetly a cycle of fish missing this year the 2 -4lb range that is across the board whether from a trawler to an angler on the beach they are like rocking horse muck every small codling dumpted would in 1or 2 years soon grow to be a decent sized fish commercial fishermen have to make a living whether to close down a fisherie in certain areas has to done so be it compensation of some form should be looked at but for the good of everybody this year would be a massive opportuntiy for all to protect this vast explosion of undersized codling .

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think something like your post would have been better stuck in an email and sent to Defra, The Angling Trust and Natural England. All you will get here is the same old people going round in circles. If your serious about making a difference Paul you need to choose another way.

Here of whitby there seems to be a hell of a lot undersized codlings from 3-8" long it is fantastic opportunity to protect these small fish this comeing year unless they caught before they become a decent sized fish every year many thousands of undersized codling are slaughtered throughout the herring spawn period this would mean a disaster for these small codling it has never ever been a better time to change the way in which small cod need protecting then it is now is the time there is defernetly a cycle of fish missing this year the 2 -4lb range that is across the board whether from a trawler to an angler on the beach they are like rocking horse muck every small codling dumpted would in 1or 2 years soon grow to be a decent sized fish commercial fishermen have to make a living whether to close down a fisherie in certain ares has to done so be it compensation of some form should be looked at but for the good of everybody this year would be a massive opportuntiy for all to protect this vasy explosion of undersized codling .

paul.

Not being a great believer in Immaculate Conception, there must be an awful lot of bigger cod getting Jiggy Jiggy somewhere out there Paul.

Protection would be a good idea for this class of fish for sure, how that can be achieved without closing the entire area down to all, with the social and economic costs which that would bring, I have no idea.....apart from adopting the Scottish Government Cod closure scheme anyway, which as far as I am aware DEFRA and the Englandshire SFCs seem oblivious to..........:unsure:

When the sum of the discards is equal to or exceeds the saleable catch then you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that action needs to be taken

The only real protection you can give to the year clas's 00,01 and 02 is to close the fishery in order to protect future stocks and help the cod recovery plan

It only needs to be done when the herring gather to spawn and would only need to be in force for about four or five weeks making a no fishing box in the name of stock conservation could and should be a priority under the new IFCA's who'se remit is considerably broader than the old SFC's. They can give weighted consideration to the damage done on this or any other juvinile fishery under the new proposed remits and should be able to plan in advance of herring spawning time to action any plans they make by publishing advance notice of possible closure of an area without causing any financial hardship to any of the local boats

By closure of this particular juvinile fishery it would mean that there is potential for all inshore fishermen who line or net or cast a line for fun to benefit as increased stock levels will show within a couple of years if the closure is an annual occurance

By closure of this particular juvinile fishery it would mean that there is potential for all inshore fishermen who line or net or cast a line for fun to benefit as increased stock levels will show within a couple of years if the closure is an annual occurance

Good idea Brain, close the fishery down for 6 weeks Big cod can go on holiday, have a paint up or if need be sign on the social to tide him over.

I fish to live and live to fish.

....apart from adopting the Scottish Government Cod closure scheme anyway, which as far as I am aware DEFRA and the Englandshire SFCs seem oblivious to..........:unsure:

Hello Stevie The closures cover all of the North Sea, we have had closures here in the Southern North Sea.

I think something like your post would have been better stuck in an email and sent to Defra, The Angling Trust and Natural England. All you will get here is the same old people going round in circles. If your serious about making a difference Paul you need to choose another way.

Another good idea Glenn, Paul is good at shooting himself in the foot.

Getting dizzy already.

Perhaps Clive has some accurate figures of undersize codling caught in this fishery, I think I read some where that (I can't find) it was only about 3% of the total discard of whiting, haddock pouting, and codling.

Hello Stevie The closures cover all of the North Sea, we have had closures here in the Southern North Sea.

Hi Wurzel

I should have been clearer, I meant a sensible fast moving, targeted area Cod Closure scheme, not the sledgehammer close the entire world approach.....or do they now have just such a sensible scheme down Sarf, sounds far too sensible for DEFRA..... B)

Hi Wurzel

I should have been clearer, I meant a sensible fast moving, targeted area Cod Closure scheme, not the sledgehammer close the entire world approach.....or do they now have just such a sensible scheme down Sarf, sounds far too sensible for DEFRA..... B)

It's worked out on how many cod caught in a 2 hour tow in the sole fishery, if it exceeds a certain amount,how many I'm not sure only that it ain't many that area is shut down for a few weeks then checked again and remains closed until the cod move on, there is no targeted cod fishery in this area anymore nobody has any quota other than the tiny amount allowed by the under tens.

Another good idea Glenn, Paul is good at shooting himself in the foot.

Getting dizzy already.

Perhaps Clive has some accurate figures of undersize codling caught in this fishery, I think I read some where that (I can't find) it was only about 3% of the total discard of whiting, haddock pouting, and codling.

Typical anser wurzel conservation is dirty word in your vocabulary or is it discards dont exist the fact is they do and are massive at certain times of the year sometimes decisions have to made which are hard but in long run it will benefit all commercial or angler ask all the anglers along our coastline what havent seen a cod this winter the writings on the wall wurzel but your anser is typical all today **** tommorow its been the working practices for some for years.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg