ALONG THE EAST COAST IT ALIVE WITH SMALL CODLING

big_cod

When they tow the same piece of ground, day in day out Peter they wipe out local stocks. Plus you dont just have those 4 boats. Trawlers from across the UK and even Europe come here at certain times of year. The area can not withstand the attention it gets. At least if they were lining they would do away with discards. As one ex trawler skipper said to me the other week. Under 10 meter Boats working lines should be free from quota. He could see it was the way forward.

Glen you are **** into the wind he doesnt get it and never will fish stocks in reality are so far down these days its a good job there is only 4 or 5 trawlers left here at whitby what about the faroes they have a tremdous cod line fisherie plus they one hell of a haddock fisherie you tell me this peter why does the fareos have such a big limit for trawling are they stupid or do they they know it makes sense fishing for prawns is completly different and needs to be looked at but then again ask the local prawners from hartlepool what they thought about all the big irish and scottish triple riggers hammering it off sheilds and hartlepool a few years ago and the anser you wouldnt want to print so to put it bluntly its called over fishing and those grounds are just starting to recover from the hammer they got a few years ago.

paul

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they tow the same piece of ground, day in day out Peter they wipe out local stocks. Plus you dont just have those 4 boats. Trawlers from across the UK and even Europe come here at certain times of year. The area can not withstand the attention it gets. At least if they were lining they would do away with discards. As one ex trawler skipper said to me the other week. Under 10 meter Boats working lines should be free from quota. He could see it was the way forward.

Hi Glenn

I always find this wiping out the stocks talk pretty hard to comprehend. I find it bizzare that you can wipe out the stocks day in day out for decades but they are still there.......beats me........:unsure:

Are there not rules and regs in place to prevent the big boys and the foreign trawlers from fishing inshore? What about quota, they have to fish within it, so if anything, all the blame should be placed on the managers if it ain't working. For a few years there has been three or four year classes showing, have they all disappeard? :g:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Glenn

I always find this wiping out the stocks talk pretty hard to comprehend. I find it bizzare that you can wipe out the stocks day in day out for decades but they are still there.......beats me........:unsure:

Not that difficult Stevie. The figures are in the public domain.

You will find those figures along side the same ones that say there are no cod on the Grand Banks.

I fish to live and live to fish.

You will find those figures along side the same ones that say there are no cod on the Grand Banks.

Yip, they can never ever recover they said....unfortunately they did, big time......the biggest problem they have now is the huge quantities showing up as bycatch in other fisheries........most inconvenient to the doomsday scenario peddlars........ :rolleyes:

Are they pre or apres manipulation figures glenn? Paul seems to be the man on scene regularly, I much prefer on the scene up to the minute reports......what was the title of this thread again...... :unsure:

For a few years there has been three or four year classes showing, have they all disappeard? :g:

Hello Barry

No they have not disappeared, I recently spoke to two different people from Whitby who say the complete opposite to what Paul and Glenn are saying, one rung me to ask if there was a way of catching bass with out catching cod because he was catching his cod quota in a day or so. they are knee deep in them.

Further south here it is shaping up to be the best cod fishing in living memory, once things warm up a bit and the cod stop feeding on herring and get their heads down on the bottom the anglers here abouts will have the best fishing they have ever had.

I will also stake my life on there being a massive year class of codling produced this year, perhaps as big as the 62 -3 one that will provide good cod fishing for the foreseeable future.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Barry

No they have not disappeared, I recently spoke to two different people from Whitby who say the complete opposite to what Paul and Glenn are saying, one rung me to ask if there was a way of catching bass with out catching cod because he was catching his cod quota in a day or so. they are knee deep in them.

Further south here it is shaping up to be the best cod fishing in living memory, once things warm up a bit and the cod stop feeding on herring and get their heads down on the bottom the anglers here abouts will have the best fishing they have ever had.

I will also stake my life on there being a massive year class of codling produced this year, perhaps as big as the 62 -3 one that will provide good cod fishing for the foreseeable future.

Evenin Wurzel, nice to hear, i've had me chance of this winter cod fishing and for me i was pants, didn't beat the wind, moving onto the summer fishing already. The only other chance i will have on the ground is two or three goes to see what size they are on the varne and the brittle star bank off weymouth, tried both last year and they were ok, however i would like to see it continuing to see if the average size can go up, now that would be interesting. As you say, and as this has been the coldest winter for thirty years, it does look good, say's i rubbing me hands. Still up for a day out and i promise to tipy toe around the deck (Steve)in a 20 foot swell and make the tea :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hello Barry

If i not mistaken the person might be talking about has been catching plenty of bass his best 3 boxes for the day but mainly schoolies he is useing smaller meshes than rest of the netters as they are useing cod nets and have had a far better stamp of bass quite a few into double figures if you are useing bass nets with small meshes arnt you only allowed a 20% bycatch of cod the netters have had a few good shots between 1.50 mile out to the 2 mile fish which are gathering for spawning and are full of roe .

There is a a lot of very small codling we had a very cold winter last winter and last year saw a fairly good run of meduim sized cod which when they spawned must have had a good hatch rate i think a cods worst enemy with the larvy is a whiting they eat a lot of the hatch but luck would have it peter there is hardly any whiting left these days to what there was good news for the cod you can say what you like but the 2-4lb class is missing lets hope it will be a big year for small fish all you will get everything is allright again FOR NOW remember peter with the very hard winter fish have moved well south your part of the north sea must be different to everybody elses if as you say its so good here at whitby why dont you come back up and show the netters here how to fish and kick there arses i have seen them not even bother landing some days not enough to fill the bottom of a box the general trend its getting worse every year so lets hope with that marvarlous cod recovery plan its now showing signs that things are now at last begining to turn around but dont hold your breath like you peter i have seen fishing that would make peoples eyes pop out of there head its nice to be optomistic so lets hope 2010 will be a good year for all tight lines and good fishing.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg