A new rod for an old angler

watatoad

I am thinking of buying a Daiwa Tournament pro 13/15' rod to replace an old abu mk 5 anyone got any thoughts or knowledge of it?

The other 3 rods I am considering are.

Drennan Match pro 14'

or a

Preston Innovations Excel 14' float

or a

Normark avenger 14' match rod

I want a rod that can handle lines down to 1lb and up to say 6lb

Your comments and advice are appreciated

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I would vote in favour of the Normark avenger.Quality rod.

And me, but i think pound bottom might be pushing it a bit and for any rod that could handle 6lb bottom.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I know it's not on your list but I use a Shimano Speed Master AX Match 14ft Fast Action rod and it is fantastic. Can't stop extolling it's virtues. So light and easy to use I would recommend it to anyone.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

I am thinking of buying a Daiwa Tournament pro 13/15' rod to replace an old abu mk 5 anyone got any thoughts or knowledge of it?

The other 3 rods I am considering are.

Drennan Match pro 14'

or a

or a

I want a rod that can handle lines down to 1lb and up to say 6lb

Your comments and advice are appreciated

All those rods are good un's but I'm a fan of Normarks stable and the Avenger is a class act and my favourite.

I have had several mailed responses so I am adding 2 rods to the list which now reads

Daiwa Tournament pro 13/15'

TF Gears T.S.I.

Shimano Speed Master AX Match 14ft

Drennan Match pro 14'

And before someone suggests it I already have an ABU Suveran 13' match

Any Glassfibre or composite suggestions?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Can't comment on the others but I use a Drennan Ultralight Matchpro 14ft for much of my winter river fishing and can honestly say it is the lightest rod I have ever used and the superb action results in very few fish lost to bump offs and the like. Depends what you want to do as it would be no match for a big barbel for instance but will handle good chub without complaint and sets the hook well into lightning biting grayling and dace.

Any Glassfibre or composite suggestions?

For the length, line weight range and applications you want, carbon is a clear choice.

Glass and composite rods certainly have their place but this isn't it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President