Any Significant Purchases During the 2009/2010 Season?

Rusty

So what kit did you buy during the past season which has either proved very good or disappointing? I don’t mean consumables but equipment or clothing which would have needed a bit of research and thought before splashing out. I have a few close season decisions to make (collapsible but telescopic landing net and boots) so I thought others experiences would be helpful.

I’ll kick off with this superb device;

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/b...windpro/product

Expensive but this has enabled me to take everything I need to cook food and make hot drinks in one small rucksack. As always carrying the water is the problem (I did consider a Kelly Kettle) but keeping everything else down to a minimum makes it entirely possible to eat well and stay mobile.

Then it was one of these;

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/tackle-and-bai...-float-rod.html

Mine was built by Bob the Rod at Fosters of Birmingham and what a brilliant job he did. You can choose blank colour, type of rings, whipping colour/edging and reel seat all for £170. Wanting something a bit different from the usual black I went for a maroon blank, dark brown whippings trimmed with copper and a traditional cork handle with sliding reel fittings (plastic disappointingly, I took it for granted they’d be aluminium). I also had fly rod rings fitted to the tip section to try and prevent icing in the colder months and it’s certainly helped.

As regards performance I’ve yet to really test it but I have caught similar sized fish on my Drennan DRX 14’ float rod and the difference is obvious, the Harrison just feels like it has a lot more in reserve. A second one will be on order shortly (first was a pressie).

Finally for the ‘successes’ I bought a couple of Peacock handwarmers. Not much to say other than they do the job brilliantly well. They don’t produce searing heat unless you take them out of the pouch (not advised) but if used as intended i.e. left in your pocket rather than held, you’ll always have somewhere warm to put your hands.

I suppose my ‘failure’ would be my Leeda neoprene chesties starting to leak after a year. They did get a used every trip and had to put up with a lot of walking and falling so at £40 I’m not too disappointed. They’ve been replaced with a set of Ron Thompson neoprene chesties so we’ll see how they do.

Over to you.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes, two that spring to mind. The first is my one-piece waterproof/windproof thermal romper suit:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...ISHING+SUIT.htm

This turned out to be a really excellent purchase, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I fished throughout the severe winter, and thanks to this (plus moonboots and a wooly hat and decent gloves) didn't once feel cold. I haven't had it long enough yet to know if it's built to last, but I've been very grateful for it over the last few months!

The other is the new bivvy that took so much faffing about to get right - the Trakker A-Lite and wrap:

http://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/trakker-a-lite-bivvy

Again, I haven't had it long enough to comment on longevity, but it's a great bit of kit that suits my session fishing perfectly. Light, easily transportable, quick to erect/pack away, very roomy. As yet, I can't think of a negative comment about it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My main new purchase was a new TFG Bivvy, it really does go up super fast. One of my better buys.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

My main new purchase was a new TFG Bivvy, it really does go up super fast. One of my better buys.

Dales I got one and I do like it.

I just this morning got a TFG windproof, waterproof and breathable hooded fleece, it looks good but I'll have to reserve judgement till it gets some use. It's on offer at the moment reduced from 120 squids to 50 sqid so worth the gamble I suppose.

Dales I got one and I do like it.

I just this morning got a TFG windproof, waterproof and breathable hooded fleece, it looks good but I'll have to reserve judgement till it gets some use. It's on offer at the moment reduced from 120 squids to 50 sqid so worth the gamble I suppose.

My old bivvy used to take about 30 minutes just to thread the poles through the loops. For the price a very nice bit of kit.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I seem to remember you also got a stalking belt. Did you find this worked well?

Ah yes I'd forgotten about that, the Fladden belt. It works in that it does accommodate everything I need for a trotting session but on mine the catch has proved a bit weak, often when I bend down it’ll come apart. The weak catch also stops me from adjusting it tightly enough to prevent it falling down around my backside which does become irritating. But it was cheap and just about gets a thumbs up so I’ll save that particular Christian John

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Ah yes I'd forgotten about that, the Fladden belt. It works in that it does accommodate everything I need for a trotting session but on mine the catch has proved a bit weak, often when I bend down it’ll come apart. The weak catch also stops me from adjusting it tightly enough to prevent it falling down around my backside which does become irritating. But it was cheap and just about gets a thumbs up so I’ll save that particular Christian John

I have a couple of those belts Rusty and you could swing on the buckle on mine. Maybe your's is faulty bud....it must be ? You should have sent it back as soon as you found it wasn't as it should be and got another one.

I think the plastic sliding feet you got on your harrison are better than the metal one's rusty, they won't damage the reel feet like metal ones can.

I needed a new rod for trotting a stick/avon/balsa down a local stream after Barbel, Chub and quality Roach but at the time I was a little strapped for cash and couldn't afford a Harrisons 15ft float rod which is what I really wanted.

I was advised by an angling friend to look at the '13ft Drennan MKIV Tench Float Rod' which as well as the fish it was designed for (the Tench) is also a great rod for trotting small streams for Barbel etc. and it costs a mere £125.

It has a misleadingly fine blank with a fine responsive tip and performed brilliantly for trotting a stick downstream after Barbel, Chub and larger Roach and has a line rating of between 2.5 to 8lb Mono or Braid.

It has handled Barbel up to 9lb for me without any fear of bottoming out and I can honestly reccomend it; especially if you havent got a bottomless wallet.

My only misgiving is that they don't also sell longer versions too.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Nothing for Coarse Fishing, but my 7' 3# fly rod has been fun for catching stockies from the put and take Trout fisheries. I might even get a chance to use it on the moorland burns, in Northumberland, this season.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.