All Rivers Flow South?

Guest rabbit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommo

Seems your explanation is feasible, But why do generally( if you like) all rivers flow in a southerly direction in England???

Perhaps someone can explain in geographical terms, for I guess thats where the answer lies.

Ken.... just go 'with the flow' on this one !!!accept what I say (and your dad) is correct. Put the ATLAS away mate, I'll send you a PM if it helps.

The Tees,Wear and Tyne flow Easterly and the Eden flows West and around all of those four rivers we have other feeder rivers that flow into them that go either North or South depending upon which side of the river they generate from. Water can only flow downstream so consequently where we have rivers flowing East/West and hilly ground areas then feeder rivers naturally find their own way in,ie north or south of the primary river

Chris.... Right

Cheers mate now I can go to work and leave the rest to argue that you and I are wrong. Was it the AT clue??

Anyone know why the sky is blue?

If you're looking for a geological answer for the general trend, there are two.

1. After the ice sheets melted, the land that had litereally been pushed down into the eaths mantle by the weight of 2Km of ice, started to slowly rise. As the country was only glaciated north of the line between Bristol and the Wash, the North is rising and the south sinking.

2. The Severn is the major river in the country. it flows south. There isn't enough water left over for a significant (other than the Trentb - which you seem happy to disregard) river to flow anywhere else.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Cheers Ken I knew someone would provide the 'geo' answer, so your dad and I were right then? As far as the Trent is concerned it was probably re-coursed in the 17th Century :D

Rivers that flow S to N in England (or as near as dam it)

Great Ouse

Eden

Medway

Wandle

Torridge

Taw

Yeo (NE?)

Trent

Not many I suppose. Possibly due to Ice Age flow largely from North?

[ 29. September 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]