Spool sizes and 100m line - confused!

Spindle

I've just had a look at one of the latest Diawa brochures. In it they show the Phantom match reels, and quote the spool size as 190m of 2lb line. On the same page they show a picture of their new Match Winner line (on spools of 100m) with the words "Perfect for use with the new Phantom match reel" (I'm writing this from memory). Obviously a bit of innocent sales-blurb. However...

If a reel holds 190m of 2lb line, then obviously I will be OK if I bought the 100m of, say, 5lb line, which will fill the spool more, but what if I want to use 2lb reel line, which I would guess is very common in match fishing. I obviously can't buy 190m of their new line, so what do I do? Do I buy two lots and knot one to the other? I don't think so!!! Do I bulk fill the reel with old line first? Bit crap in this day 'n age.

And if I was a beginner, would I know to do this in the first place? Or would I take the brochure at face value and go buy the 2 lb line to fit to my new reel, only to unknowingly under-fill it and reduce it's casting ability???

What do the match fishermen do? :confused:

Yeh, but the question is, why do Daiwa sell 100m of 2lb line in the first place if even the reels they sell that are designed to use this line require more in the first place??? Maybe for their match reels they should standardise on stating what line you would require to fill it with 100m of the stuff (eg. 100m of 5lb for this reel, 100m 3lb for that reel etc.)

Hunter is right, to fill it properly you need two spools. Wind the 2lb line on an empty spool then tie some other line to it the continue till your spool is filled, then tie the end to another spool and start winding. When you are finished your 2lb line will be at the top and the spool will be full.

Next time you change your line you just strip it off till you get to the backing and then add your new line as normal.

If you only have one spool then used something like electrical tape and guess, you might have to wind the line on and off a few times but once you get it right its right and leave the tape in place. If you go to far it doesnt really matter your not going to be casting 100yds with 2lb line anyway, depending on where you fish you might be able to fill your spool up to 4 times with 100yds and with fine lines its better to replace regular anyway, before anyone says something if you only fish canals 25yds is more than you need, most of the time.

Scott.

The Fishing Directory

spindle is right.

He's saying the advertisement is for apples.

The company is selling oranges.

It is not uncommon in angling gear marketing for the left hand to have absoulty no idea what is happening in the right hand.

Probably in the ad a smaller diameter spool is available and it won't take 100% of the mass markedted quantity.

I have a question although I don't want to highjack this thread. Other than reel preformance is there ever, under any circumstances, a need for 190 yards or even 100 yards of 2 lb line?

Phone

Go in to your tackle shop and buy some a bulk spool of cheap line and use this back up your main line. 190m of 2lb line? I'd say 140m will never even get wet!

oh p.s. if you really do want more than 100m lots of lines come to the tackle shop in boxes of 100m spools, however they are all one long bit of line on several spools so you can buy two or three joined spools!

[ 12 March 2002, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Richard Capper ]

Or get the PowerPro line in 10lb b/s which will have 2lb diameter and you can easily get spools of 150, 300, 500, 1500 yds to suit your needs.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Some good advice above, but instead of a second spool yuo can use a purpose-made line-winder/drier.

I made mine with dimensions calculated so that each turn of the winder represents exactly one yard of line (and its wide enough so that even 50 lb mono doesn't build up the diameter significantly).

It cost me about 20 p to build from wooden lathes and bits of garden cane. I now know EXACTLY how much each of my reels hold - very useful for things like backing on fly reels etc.

BTW I would not go finer than 4 lb for the main line - if I need something finer at the business end. I just tie on a leader of the finer material (dare I say with a double grinner knot for long lengths or a water knot for shorter pieces ?)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Spindle,

Match men either use special shallow match spools or they use some kind of backing to pad out the spool.

One point, if only putting 100m of line onto a reel that holds 200m results in bad casting, why would you want to put 200m of line on in the first place? (As opposed to padding the spool)

By the time you have used the first 100m, you will be in the same predicament as you would have been only putting a 100m of line on the reel in the first place.

For me a 100m is plenty for the type of fishing I do and cuts down the cost of replacing my line when I feel I need to, seeing as I only need to replace 100m.