Suffix Synergy

ThePiker

Hi ,

Have any of you had any experience of using Suffix Synergy in the lower breaking strains(8lb to be exact).I've just purchased a spool and intend using it to target Tench.How's the abrasion resistance?,how does it knot? etc etc....

Cheers,The Piker.....

I use the 12lb its very good in my opinion. It has been independantly tested and has the highest abrasion resistance of any mono!

As for knots I've had no problems but as all ways I'd be very careful as these are the most delicate parts of any rig!

Piker I have been useing the 8lb and 10lb for two seasons now for tench and barbel and can honestly say that it has never let me down. It knots well and is as tough as old boots. I think I'm right in saying that during independant testing it came out on top of all the other mono's available today. I also use the 15lb for my pike fishing, you can tow a battle ship with it, well certainly a 16ft boat with two anglers on board.

Alan.

Alan, I assume you're talking about abrasion resistance tests here?

Of course abrasion resistance is only one of many factors to consider, although in certain situations it can be vital. On most waters though other factors are more important. It's really a case of balance as (all other things being equal) an abrasion resistant line won't be as supple, which will for instance affect presentation, handling and casting.

I haven't used Synergy so can't comment on it personally. However, Jim Gibbinson did a lot of bench tests of a wide variety of lines for Carpworld and summarised the findings in his book, Gravel Pit Carping. Synergy came out well, but not I seem to recall top, for abrasion resistance. It's also a low stretch line so particulary suited to long range fishing.

However, bench tests tell only part of the story. IMO they just give us a short list for various different purposes, which is exactly what Jim provides in his book. In the final analysis you need field testing as well. That's the beauty of Forums such as these, as you get feedback from lots of people who've used the product - but not me I'm afraid!

Nearly forgot - see Jim's recent piece on line in the articles section of Angler's Net. Perhaps someone can put up a direct link as I've forgotten how!

[ 14 March 2002, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Personally I hated the stuff...... I lost 3 or 4 good fish on the 10lbs line...... I even had the line part on a take, before I even struck !!!!

I'm not sure if it was just a bad batch or my knot tying abilities.... however, I never had any problems previously... neither have I since I moved back to my favourite line...

I know people rave about the stuff and that it's got some great reviews... but I for one won't ever be using the stuff again!

Simon

Many thanks for the reply's guys.It has got more good reviews than bad,so I will stick with it and see how I get on.As for you Bobby me lad,it's good 'ol Maxima for you when you come over,(I know you hate the stuff,that's why your getting it)See you Monday B :D ob

I got lumbered with two bulk spools of 8lb Synergy, one I bought for myself and one for a guy at work who disappeared from the scene.

I found it to be awful,lost several carp in Hornwort where normally I'd just pull them out easy on Berkeley Big Game.These were not enormous fish, 5-10 lb taken on floaters on the edge of the weed, a swim I've fished often early in the season just to put a bend in the rod,and never lost one there before.

It keeps the broad beans upright though. :)

I can't get on with Pro-gold either. :rolleyes: