Spodding and "The Spomb"

poledark

Ant, no special cast, simple overhead, but not to a clip. Opened every time, pretty nose heavy due to shape, so the red button releases on impact. I am not sure you could get it to land "on its side" unless you stopped it real sudden, but that is easily cured..............don't do it :) I found it opened when dropped from about 3 feet, although I didn't try it from less.

Incidently it retrieves very easily as well :)

I had to give it back to the guy who showed me it (his company makes them I believe, and he knows I design a few bits and pieces) so he thought I might like to comment. He is not a fisherman himself.

Trust me, I don't give praise lightly :) this thing works, and what if it does cost £10 ? unless you crack off then it should last for years. Most spods cost £7 or more anyway.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does it need to land nose-first with a sploosh? Can you feather it down so it lands quietly on its side?

It looks like a neat design but I'm struggling to see what benefit it has over a spod, apart from distance...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Read the comments on the website Andrew, if you don't believe mine.

For what it is worth (not a lot appparently) I think it would be extremely difficult to stop it in mid air so it lands with no forward motion. And why would anyone want to?

I don't believe bullshit, and I don't write bullshit.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Read the comments on the website Andrew, if you don't believe mine.

For what it is worth (not a lot appparently) I think it would be extremely difficult to stop it in mid air so it lands with no forward motion. And why would anyone want to?

I don't believe bullshit, and I don't write bullshit.

Den

Den, it was just a question about how it works! I've looked at the website but you've had a play with one in real life. It was the comment that you hadn't tried to use it clipped up that got me thinking - when spodding clipped up (I never spod 'freestyle', they'd go everywhere) I try to slow the flight so that it just hits the clip gently and falls to the water with a kind of light 'slap' (you know what I mean?). If this has to go nose-first wouldn't is make a big sploosh?

I doubt it would matter for tench (don't know about carp) but I wouldn't want that for bream.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Did make quite a splosh, probably due to it opening as it hit the water. It didn't "dive in" like a normal spod.

As you may remember, I gave away some spods last year, so you can guess my thoughts on spodding :) but if..big IF.....I did long sessions/or could gaurantee to get the same swim on consecutive days, then I would spod. I did also try it "underhand", and it still worked.

I don't do "reviews" as I feel that you need to use an item for a considerable amount of time before putting an opinion in print. I often read (some on this site) "reviews" done within days.or even before any real testing. and I give those little credence.

My first impression of the Spomb was "Ye gods,what on earth is this? some Chinese gimmick?" But when I looked closer I began to be impressed, so asked if I could try it out, and I was so impressed that I thought I would "break my own rule" and pass on my comments to AN readers.

Den

I can't see it's advantage over a normal spod. Just another type of spod in my eyes. It wouldn't surprise my if the opening mechanism gets loose after time and starts opening mid flight.

Why Im interested is that Ive found that for extreme range (for arguments sake anything much over 120m) normal spods just dont work! For some strange reason of physics they tend to empty/part empty 3/4 ways out.Ive tried plugging spods with groundbait but not only is this a pain but isn't 100% reliable.Feed spread all over the place isn't just wasted but IMO detrimental.

Ive brought and tried a couple of ones with rear "doors" on them as well but these have ranged from iffy to total rubbish! even the better ones dont last.Spodding is hard on tackle full stop but when you go extreme range its even more so.

Ive always argued that an anglers maximum fishing distance isn't what he can cast a bait to but what he can feed to.Even at a tenner Im prepared to give this bit of kit a go.Even if it only lasts a few baiting ups then fine Compare the price to how much the bait can cost and how important it is to get it in the right place and even to a Scrooge like myself a tenner ain't so dear!

Like Den said the real proof is in a season of use but as a starting point I would rather take on his opinion than some advertising blurb or brain washed tackle tart!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There are three key advantages that I can see over a normal spod which are

1) With it opening in half, it should allow the complete evacuation of its payload whereas with a normal spod, you can and often do get entrapment.

2) Unless you are using a spod which is capable of reversing direction after it has landed. ie pointy bit first when retrieving then you are generally pulling in against the resistance created by the spod coming in backwards wheras with the Spomb and by the way it is designed it will close on itself and with the shape that it is will be much easier to retrieve.

3) With it opening fully it enables the effective use of mixed payloads whichcan be difficult with a normal spod

Virtually one spod for all

As you say Budgie it's not like you'll be loosing a fortune if it doesn't last. I suppose if you do a lot of distance fishing/baiting up then it's worth a stab, Since I don't a run of the mill spod will do for me.....for the moment anyhow.