New PB Bream Yesterday + Photos

natty

Today I decided to fish a slightly harder lake than usual, in the hope of a larger carp. The venue I chose was Swanborough Farm in Lewes on the carp lake.

I had planned to fish one rod on the surface and have one rod legered, but when I arrived at the lake, I was unfortunately greeted by a very rough lake, along with extreme winds - not ideal surface fishing conditions.

A change of plan was necessary and I found a nice swim with open water out in front and a reed bed to one side. I decided to leger both rods and fish one with a double Polar Pellet hair-rigged, along with a PVA bag of the new Carp Vader Polar Ice feed pellets. On the other rod I had a single 12mm Schnitzel Wurst jelly pellet hair-rigged along with a PVA bag of Schnitzel Wurst feed pellets.

Both rods were cast out and I as I was finally setting down after organising all of my tackle, I was rudely disturbed by a bite on the Polar Pellet rod. The fish swam straight towards me and I thought it must be a bream, but up popped a nice mirror carp of around 8lb.

On the unhooking mat the carp was extremely lively, due to the very short fight, so it was quickly unhooked and returned, with out a photo - fish care always comes first.

As I was re-casting my rod, the other rod was away and a nice bream was in the net.

Here it is:

318606544.jpg

The bream action continued steadily on both rods and over the next couple of hours I landed no carp but I managed to land 11 bream, all averaging between 1lb 8oz and 3lb.

Finally a strike to a bite on the Schnitzel Wurst rod was meet with more solid resistance, I thought a small carp was the culprit but I was more than happy with a larger bream appeared in the margins. With a quick scoop she was mine and she looked very close to my bream PB of 5lb 1oz.

On the scales I was happily to see them read out 5lb 14oz - my first PB of 2008.

Here is the bream:

318606549.jpg

318606548.jpg

Before I had a chance to re-bait the rod I had the bream on, I had a very fast bite on my leger, once I struck the fish just kept going, I eventually managed to turn it and was slowly pumping it back in towards me, it began to head to the reeds, but with a bit of side strain it started to come back into open water, it felt like a decent fish, defiantly a double, perhaps even an upper double. I thought that I had just began to get the upper hand, when the hook pulled. To say I was gutted was an understatement, I had played the carp for a good few minutes and still hadn’t even seen it before it shed the hook.

I recast both rods and within 5 minutes my disappointment was partially forgotten about as once again the Polar Pellet rod screamed into life. This time there was no mistaking the outcome and soon enough I had a lovely common of 7lb 14oz on the unhooking mat.

Here it is:

318606546.jpg

318711712.jpg

Later in the day I added a couple more bream before packing up to bring my bream total up to 15. I finished the day with the 15 bream (including a new PB), 2 carp and the lost biggie. Overall, I was rather pleased with my day, it was just a shame I lost the large one I was after.

Overall, I was rather pleased with my day,

That may qualify for 'understatement of the year'. :lol:

Very well done.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

once again natty it looks like you had a great day. have you considered some kind of blog to record all of your outings in one easy to find place?

i can only hope my outings in the next month are as successful as yours have been!

Thanks for all of the nice comments :)

once again natty it looks like you had a great day. have you considered some kind of blog to record all of your outings in one easy to find place?

i can only hope my outings in the next month are as successful as yours have been!

I have recently created a blog with all of my sessions I have had so far in 2008. It is here: nattysanglingadventures.blog.com

Nice bream and carp Natty.Even nicer to see an angler who can enjoy and appreciate both.

Very true Budgie, all too often carp anglers who catch anything else regard them as nuisance fish.

Well done Natty, sounds like a great session !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

its also nice to see a healthy looking fish. that last image of the carp in particular looks like a nice size as well as in perfect condition. sleek and powerful and without a boily belly like so many fish.

Sounds like a top days session.

I actually quiet enjoy catching Bream while Carp fishing.

While catching your target species is good, the fun of not really knowing what you may end up on the end of your line may well be more appealing.

Anyway well done on a good days fishing and congratulations on your new PB.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek