Safe Fishing

leedsunited

I have been fishing on canals and rivers on my own since I was 12, im now 17. I have never had any trouble with people.

However the parck 3mins from my house I have had a knife pulled out on me, my bike stolen, idiots on mopeheads showing off.

Luckily enough I can handle myself

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also 17 n will go fishing on me own where i know i wont get trouble, well managed day ticket fisheries etc. I have had trouble in the past but there isnt really much you can do to avoid it. Just choose the more sensible fisheries n do keep your mobile handy.

steve.

steve.

One of our club baliffs was doing a check on one of our waters and came across 2 lads fishing. One of the lads pulled an air rifle out of his rod bag and made menacing suggestions. The baliff did the only sensible thing left used his mobile phone and called the police. I am not saying this is likely to happen a lot but it just shows you never know. As a baliff myslef I all ways apprase the situation before I approach anyone. Taking an agressive attitude as has been mentioned above can only inflame a situation, its far better to be safe than sorry and be able to fish another day.

clubs can have a role to play here ,our lake is fully fenced in and most of the youngesters are very well behaved .parents seem ok to drop them off and pick them up .fishing in a fairly safe enviroment enjoy it cheers big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

Jason Speck:

I do feel very sorry for you younger kids.I always fished alone as a teenager mainly on the canals that ran through North London and the Lea around Tottenham Locks.And not once was a troubled.

Regards Jason

i too fished those very places,never got any hassle,even if someone did start,stand your ground and dont back down, dont be intimidated.i have had more agro on the train when going fishing rather than while fishing!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• 2 weeks later...

I would simply say this - always fish in twos whether you are 10 or 100 years old. Its more fun with company anyway.

Doesn't matter if you are in the busiest, friendliest place, things can happen anywhere.

Be safe - it's a jungle out there!!!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

how many of us put anything back into our fishing? Its easy to critasize a society for its members but we are all members of the same society. I work with young people, I think Ive only met one who did not enjoy fishing trips. Share what youve learnt, if the youngsters of today dont have a reasonable attitude to wards us try and change it they will be the posters of the future. I spent this summer teaching on a local fishery,(so much so Iam now on my summer hols) kids turned up come rain or shine. They might not become total maniacs like the rest of us but I venture that they willask what someone has caught rather than throw stones in the water beside them.

In our club we operate a junior section, which is part of the child safe campain. It means that young children can fish in safety and the parent know that the person in charge is approved by the police. They hold regular matches during the summer, and often get to waters that normally they would be unable to visit. So I would suggest join a good club especially for the younger members, not only is it safe but you can learn alot from the old hands.