Spodding: Braid/Mono

Rigg'd

I know using braid for marker floats is essential, but is it really necessary for spod reels and rods? Can't you just use mono, im sure it will cast the same? :blink:

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes of course you can. Braids only two advantages (IMO) for spodding are that being a thinner diameter for any given BS it casts further but youve still got the strength to avoid loosing your spod, the other is that as it lasts for many years it works out cheaper than changing mono every year. Of course one messed up cast and you can ruin it and then it ain't cheap!

As long as you use a shock leader (dont bother with the tapered ones just get some heavy mono) you can use down to 8lb mono mainline.The standard formulae is to use 10lb BS for every ounce of weight to be cast eg a 4oz (full) spod would need 40lb and a 5 ozs 50lb.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes of course you can. Braids only two advantages (IMO) for spodding are that being a thinner diameter for any given BS it casts further but youve still got the strength to avoid loosing your spod, the other is that as it lasts for many years it works out cheaper than changing mono every year. Of course one messed up cast and you can ruin it and then it ain't cheap!

As long as you use a shock leader (dont bother with the tapered ones just get some heavy mono) you can use down to 8lb mono mainline.The standard formulae is to use 10lb BS for every ounce of weight to be cast eg a 4oz (full) spod would need 40lb and a 5 ozs 50lb.

cheers!

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

Being thinner, braid tends suffer less from crosswinds, too. You can get cheap spools here.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I know using braid for marker floats is essential, but is it really necessary for spod reels and rods? Can't you just use mono, im sure it will cast the same? :blink:

You don't need to use braid for marker floats, I use mono on my main marker rod all the time, you just need to appreciate the feel is different because mono is more stretchy.

One of the downsides of braid is it's tendancy to tangle. Some of the brands float and can therefore get moved by the water in an opposite direction to the wind. Cast a spod over that and it's a nightmare in the making. I remember fishing with a mate who did just that and he ended up losing everything and wasting a good hour or more in the process.

Rob.

You don't need to use braid for marker floats, I use mono on my main marker rod all the time, you just need to appreciate the feel is different because mono is more stretchy.

One of the downsides of braid is it's tendancy to tangle. Some of the brands float and can therefore get moved by the water in an opposite direction to the wind. Cast a spod over that and it's a nightmare in the making. I remember fishing with a mate who did just that and he ended up losing everything and wasting a good hour or more in the process.

Rob.

braid is mainly used for the feel as well as long lasting life also if you had to use a mono in the weeds spodding or braid i know what i would use (braid) i don't like to lose my equipment

Rob.

Allthough I now use braid for feature finding etc I do tend to agree with Rob.Like he says its just getting used to the "feel" regardless of line or rod used. Im not a lover of leaving marker floats out whilst baiting or fishing as they create a snag smack bang on your feed! I much prefer marker poles as these dont cause a problem and once placed can be left out till the end of the session without any potential problems........trouble is you need a boat to place and recover them!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Allthough I now use braid for feature finding etc I do tend to agree with Rob.Like he says its just getting used to the "feel" regardless of line or rod used. Im not a lover of leaving marker floats out whilst baiting or fishing as they create a snag smack bang on your feed!

I will (reluctantly) do without them when fishing, because they create too much of a snag hazard, but I like to at least know exactly how appallingly inaccurate my baiting is. :lol:

Is that the formula for the shock leader? How long should the shock leader be? I was planning on starting light spodding i.e. with a small spod and I doubt the distances would be over 50m if even that far so would I still need a shock leader?

Cheers