tench with red spots

Andy_1984

andy macfarlane and myself were fishing a pond, andy had 2 tench one of which was littered with tons tiny red spots. the location of which i cannot remember but maybe andy does.

the only reference i could find was "Red Pest" but only pictures i could find with fish with this "red pest" were large red blotches but these spots on andy's tench were tiny prickly spots.

any ideas ?

one thing i thought of myself were the amount of leeches in this pond if that helps trying to figure out what these spots are

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I've caught tench at Yateley which had a definate red hue to their underbelly - a variant known as vermillion tench so I'm led to believe!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

When I looked at the fish, I didn't see anything that suggested the markings were a result of parasites or disease and the more I've looked online, the more I believe the marks are a result of natural pigmentation.

Also, the water is relatively small and even smaller, is the most productive bay, which contains a fairly large head of tench. I would think with the tench living in such a confined area, the disease would be far more prevalent. Instead, we only know of the one fish I caught and the one that angler we met had caught.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I caught a good one Friday that was completely red spotted from about half way down but brushed aside the initial idea of disease and assumed it was from spawning. I went on to land about a dozen more Tincas but no more had the marks so I am a bit concerned I have returned an unhealthy fish(apart from the fact it fought like a demon!)

I am no expert but red spots can indicate a bacterial infection. In some fish you get Hemorrhagic Septicemia which are red spots or blotches under the skin. Carp are known to suffer from Herpesviruse. I don't know if it affects tench or if what yours have got is something similar? Plus there is that disease called red disease in Tench but although I have heard of it I have never seen it.

http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forums/archi...hp/t-42147.html

http://old.vri.cz/docs/vetmed/49-1-19.pdf

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I caught a 3lb chub last year that had a huge red tumour on it's tail - in fact it had no wrist really, just this huge red lump the size of a golf ball. It didn't seem bothered - it pulled like stink.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I don't think it's red disease. Like I say, it didn't resemble a sore of any type and no other fish had it, in a very confined area.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I remember reading an article in one of the monthlies last spring, which described (and had photos of) that condition. They reckoned it wasn't disease, just a strange (and rather pretty) environmental adaptation. Get some photos next time you go!

I've also caught chub with tumour-type things, plus various fish with all kinds of injury from predation (several chub last year which had their tails pretty much chewed off and were still bleeding, and a trout which was sliced almost completely open - I was amazed it was still feeding). I always put them back. Nothing is wasted in nature.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If I happen to catch another, I'll be sure to take pictures next time. I didn't take any because didn't think it was anything to be concerned about. I'm quite vigilant when it comes to fish diseases, so the fact I didn't take a picture also suggests it was nothing to be alarmed about.

The markings were actually very pretty.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...