Bait coming off my hair rig....why?

stooby

Hi all,

I'm sure it's something I'm not doing right, but at the weekend I tried tying my own hair rigs, the first one I done was fine, and I managed to catch with it, however after that it seems as though I were getting line bites and small takes (not enough to strike with) then no action... so I'd reel in and realise the bait was gone???? I done this a number of times and the same thing was happening.

I was using Halibut pellets with a hair rig stop on the end with a sixe 16 hook just above the pellet... could it be smaller fish pecking away at the bait eventually causing it to break up and come off? or is it something else blatently obvious? which I'm assuming it is as like I said this is hte first time I've used them.

Cheers,

Stooby...

Hi all,

I'm sure it's something I'm not doing right, but at the weekend I tried tying my own hair rigs, the first one I done was fine, and I managed to catch with it, however after that it seems as though I were getting line bites and small takes (not enough to strike with) then no action... so I'd reel in and realise the bait was gone???? I done this a number of times and the same thing was happening.

I was using Halibut pellets with a hair rig stop on the end with a sixe 16 hook just above the pellet... could it be smaller fish pecking away at the bait eventually causing it to break up and come off? or is it something else blatently obvious? which I'm assuming it is as like I said this is hte first time I've used them.

Cheers,

Stooby...

I had similar problems in the past when i first started using pellets. I find the usual hair rig stops are not very good for pellets as they cannot be dug into the pellet as you would with a boilie or meat and therefore the bait stop can very easily just fall out and the bait slide off the hair. Particularly if fish are nibbling at it. There are special pellet stops you can buy or simply tie a bait band onto your hair but use the band as the length of the hair if you get my meaning. Just do a half blood knot to tie your band to your line and then slide your hook down your line to where you want it to sit. The band will go through the middle of the pellet and so you want the point of your hook just about the top of the band. To bait the rig you simply drill a pellet and then pull the band throught the pelle using a baiting needle. As the band stretches on the way through the pellet when you let go it contracts trapping itself inside the pellet very securely. Try making a rig up and test it out. Its great. You may need to experiment with the size of your band but i find most sizes except really thin small ones are fine.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I had similar problems in the past when i first started using pellets. I find the usual hair rig stops are not very good for pellets as they cannot be dug into the pellet as you would with a boilie or meat and therefore the bait stop can very easily just fall out and the bait slide off the hair. Particularly if fish are nibbling at it. There are special pellet stops you can buy or simply tie a bait band onto your hair but use the band as the length of the hair if you get my meaning. Just do a half blood knot to tie your band to your line and then slide your hook down your line to where you want it to sit. The band will go through the middle of the pellet and so you want the point of your hook just about the top of the band. To bait the rig you simply drill a pellet and then pull the band throught the pelle using a baiting needle. As the band stretches on the way through the pellet when you let go it contracts trapping itself inside the pellet very securely. Try making a rig up and test it out. Its great. You may need to experiment with the size of your band but i find most sizes except really thin small ones are fine.

Check out the luncheon meat rig on this page. It shows what i mean.<<<CLICK HERE>>>

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

you could try a lasso hair rig

its very easy to do just create you're hair rig as you normaly would but put on a rubber float stop on the hair first

then put you're bait between the loop on you're hair rig and pull the float stop down to the pellet.

keeps a nice firm hold on the bait, i managed to get 2 pellets on doing it this way and these pellets were so soft you can squeeze them till the juice comes out or make them flake apart.

just like this:

korum-easy-mono-hair-rig1.jpg

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Lasso rules OK.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If you are using braided hooklengths you could try super glueing the pellets. I always fix mine that way now although I use mainly Elips and glue 2 back to back. I always found that if a pellet stop held the pellet it had to go so far into it that the effective length of the hair increased too much

I've only used pellets on a handful of occasions (old fuddy duddy) and I just used a dust shot pinched on the hair.....no problems!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Maybe your making the hole through the pellet to big. I use a small drill and the knot on my hair loop is often a tight enough fit to keep the pellet on it without anything else, I sometimes knot the loop twice to enlarge the knot. The esp drill and needle are good being quite fine.

Maybe your making the hole through the pellet to big. I use a small drill and the knot on my hair loop is often a tight enough fit to keep the pellet on it without anything else, I sometimes knot the loop twice to enlarge the knot. The esp drill and needle are good being quite fine.

They are pre-drilled pellets so I could try and make the knot bigger to give it an extra hold, and I will also try the other suggestions above, thanks for all your help everyone!

I'm going for a couple of hours tomorrow after work so I'll let you know how I get on with the ideas!

Cheers,

Stooby...

They are pre-drilled pellets so I could try and make the knot bigger to give it an extra hold, and I will also try the other suggestions above, thanks for all your help everyone!

I'm going for a couple of hours tomorrow after work so I'll let you know how I get on with the ideas!

Cheers,

Stooby...

Try getting the pellets you drill yourself, if you do as I said then you won't even need any stops, just a case of pulling the hair through or part through the pellet and bob's your uncle !