Best sub £100 barbel rod

Christy

OK, so I've recently become attracted to barbel fishing, and have decided I want to add a nice barbel rod to the armoury! B) Now I'm looking to spend £80 - £120 - I'm a lifeguard, don't judge me, :lol: on one and here are my requirements:

• It must be 12ft long,
  • Must have a screw-down reel seat,
  • Must be able to handle 8 - 12lb lines,
  • Must come with atleast two interchangeable tips, one avon, one quiver,
  • Must look attractive.

Please post your suggestions, preferably along with a link to a tackle shop to confirm the price, no: "Well it costs £200 but my mate Billy said he got his for £100 off ebay!"

As always, I'd like to thank you for your help! ;)

Edited by Christy

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following my problems with the Greys rod rings I made an emergency purchse of a Fox Warrior XT. Having had a few battles in the past couple of weeks I have used it I am pleased with my purchase. This rod came from flea bay and was delivered for less than £80. (cheaper than the 2 "lifetime warranty" replacement sections from Greys)

I have a pair of Wychwood 1.75lb tst rods and can't praise them enough, they're not two tops though just the Avon but its got a softer top 18 ins or so that show up knocks and pulls very well and handles those three foot twitch's with ease

I bought mine locally so can't give you a link but can tell you they'll handle lines in the range you mentioned, I use Stren in 11lb and its a very good combination to handle big fish and you never feel out of control when barbelling with the Wychwood rods

I can't think of any situation where I'd need to swao the Avon type that mine is for the quiver so you might be making your choices harder and more costly by looking for a two top option rather than a good blank with just one top

Mine are 12ft and slim but with plenty of power there when you need it

Never had a problem with the rings either

Should also mention that you'll probably get two rods of that ilk for around the £100 you're looking at, I paid £80 for the pair at my local shop a few years ago

I must admit I really like my 2.5lb Wychwood carp rods, I'm using one with 12lb mainline ATM for my barbel fishing. The avon top is for using an alarm and for trotting or free-lining baits, it just makes it a lot more dynamic...

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Following my problems with the Greys rod rings I made an emergency purchse of a Fox Warrior XT. Having had a few battles in the past couple of weeks I have used it I am pleased with my purchase. This rod came from flea bay and was delivered for less than £80. (cheaper than the 2 "lifetime warranty" replacement sections from Greys)

Ooh, they do look nice and good value to, what's their optimum casting weight and how far can you cast a lead?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Got me there Christy on the casting weight as just about all my barbel fishing is done by under arm casting, however the rod has an action very close to the £200 greys rod with its 1.5lb tip fitted and I use that in the close season for lake work and that chucks 2.5oz a good distance. I think I should add that one of my older rods is a Wychwood and that handles ok too but is a bit chunky and has fewer rings than my other barbel rods

Some on here have had problems with both Fox and Greys

I have quite a few Barbel rod but the ones I reach for most are the wychwood excellent rods I use the lighter one for chub very often.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

The drennan series 7 range would be fine for a mixture of species including barbel. I'd go for the 1.25lb test myself but they come in 1.5lb test also so you takes your pick. You can pick them up brand new for around 80/90 nicker.

Some of the older carp rods you see on ebay are brilliant for barbel fishing but they don't have the quiver section you seem to want.

The drennan series 7 range would be fine for a mixture of species including barbel. I'd go for the 1.25lb test myself.....

I've got one of those, very versatile. In avon mode it's good for trotting too.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back