I know we needed some rain but....

Tigger

I've used heavy backleads to combat the weed catching on the line and it's usually worked well. Only problem then is weed clogging on the line when you do get a hook up which makes it hard to feel the lunges if the fish so spoils it really.

Yes i know what you mean. When I had that 9lber on the pin i had about 2lb's of weed on the line in the end and i couldnt feel the fish as much as i would have like. I had to play the weed as much as the fish lol. maybe it helped me maintain pressure lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished the Mole last night and it was pretty low and slow - also fished my local club pond on saturday and the water felt as warm as a bath!

Hopefully the rain due Thursday and Friday will freshen things up a bit!

Yup - waters are low and slow in the south.

Had some rain about seven/eight days ago but that has all washed through.

I fished the Hampshire Avon on Sunday and it was gin clear. Good for fish spotting. Not so good for fish catching! :rolleyes: Needed a bit of colour in the water.

Surrey angler has it spot on - we need the rain predicted for Thursday/Friday to freshen our rivers up.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I was a little disappointed when i fished the ribble last Sunday. There was a nice flow again, but I'd hoped the rain we'd had would have got shut of more of the green stuff than it had. Don't think it will be a problem after todays rain and yes Ian Ive had enough now too.

Going to give the ribble a try in the morning,,hopefully it will be running off a bit,,,came back from the Trent yesterday after a dissapointing 24 hours,,,hardly any water in it,,managed one barbel and a couple of bream though

Going to give the ribble a try in the morning,,hopefully it will be running off a bit,,,came back from the Trent yesterday after a dissapointing 24 hours,,,hardly any water in it,,managed one barbel and a couple of bream though

Ive not seen the ribble for a few days, but one of the mates said it was well up last night and its raining hard now. So fetch some big leads with you. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Here in Suffolk we are melting in the heat and the rivers are dropping, the flow is reducing, I guess I'll have to go fishing again tomorrow under the shade of a few trees catching what little wind there is about, at least the fish are feeding well. But there are so many Perch in the Stour around Sudbury they drive you crazy.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Ive not seen the ribble for a few days, but one of the mates said it was well up last night and its raining hard now. So fetch some big leads with you. :)

Went down this morning for 4 hours(slept in), :angry: ,had to be at work for 12.The river was (dare i say it)perfect..It was nicely coloured and the weed was minimal,,just a bit round the feeders,not enough to cause any problems..I managed to catch two small chub and just as i was packing up a nice barbel around 8lb,as this was my first session on the Ribble this season i was quite happy with what i caught,i just didn't let my face know..

IMG_1891.jpg

I went down the ribble last night only to find i had forgotten to pick up my new bigger leads. Wasnt very happy when i plopped a 2 3/4 ounce lead in only to watch it get dragged half a mile downstream. Had a very strong flow with all sorts of debri being carried down and just didnt have the gear on me to cope with it. Oh well. Lesson learnt lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Went down this morning for 4 hours(slept in), :angry: ,had to be at work for 12.The river was (dare i say it)perfect..It was nicely coloured and the weed was minimal,,just a bit round the feeders,not enough to cause any problems..I managed to catch two small chub and just as i was packing up a nice barbel around 8lb,as this was my first session on the Ribble this season i was quite happy with what i caught,i just didn't let my face know..

IMG_1891.jpg

Nice one Welly. :thumbs:

I trotted it for about 4 hours using maggot yesterday, but i managed to used up all my 4 pints of maggot in that time. It can be a bit expensive fishing maggot at this time of year, but good fun.

I caught a lot of small dace, a few small roach and chub, 2 small barbel (3-4lb) and some better chub (5lb 3oz the biggest).

post-10964-1280044030_thumb.jpg

Had another go on the river today and following a wet friday night it was in fine condition with a few extra inches of water and a touch of colour. I had a change from trotting maggots and trotted bread flake and fed mashed bread instead. £3 for 3 large white loaves beats £10.40 for 4 pints of maggots and i still had about a third of my bread left after my 4 hour session.

No dace this week or roach, but 11 chub with 2 fives (5lb 2oz & 5lb 8 oz) and 4 barbel best of which went 9lb 4oz. :)

Sorry about the pictures they were done on my phone and i was stood in 3 feet of water as the banks were to steep and over grown for me to get out easily.

post-10964-1280688732_thumb.jpg

post-10964-1280688775_thumb.jpg

post-10964-1280688808_thumb.jpg

£3 for 3 large white loaves beats £10.40 for 4 pints of maggots and i still had about a third of my bread left after my 4 hour session.

Brilliant session well done Lutra, obviously no need for any southern chalk streams where you are.

That equation makes a lot of sense, particularly if you live 500 yards from bread and 10 miles from maggot (like I do). I've used liquidised bread for feed but whenever I mash bread on the bank I can't get it to sink. Is there a method?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back