annual licence scrapped{not a wind up}

Andrew

Jangar I am happy with paying the annuallicence fee cos in my eyes its value for money which is a rare thing in this day & age.

Just question but what would you say if i told you of a person who has sigle handedly been trying to get the EA to scrap the licence for under 14's ??

Would you be interested in supporting a "campaign" to do this?

The person who's been trying believes this may help bring a few more youngsters into the sport, i for one would support it the question is who else would??

[ 23 February 2002, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: ALAN FAWCETT ]

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current system is crap!

I started back fishing after several years gap in October, I found that

1) I had to pay in full £20.00 but it ran out on Mar 31st!

2) I went to the Internet, cos I had fishing lined up next day and needed to meet a friend before P.O. opened!

I got my licence validated in time , BUT I could not take advantage of the disabled 1/2 price deal to which I am entitled as I needed to visit a P.O. to show proof of my disability claim!!! (Have they never heard of a link to the Government Register, without the embarrasment of Proof in a Public Place!)

So I ended up paying £20.00 for a valuie of less than £5.00 of fishing time!.

OK next year I can prepare, but the current system does not allow any flexibility, to conscientious returners like me and encourages People , by its unfairness, to risk licence evasion!

Interesting. Ous licenses here also go April 1 to April 1, and even if you buy a license on mar. 30, you pay the whole bit.

We do, however have daily, licences for those who may only go out once or twice in a year.

I have heard no one complain here, as we just buy a new one each year around the first of April.

BTW, I have to ask, but what is a TV license?

Please don't tell me your government acualy requires you to get a license to own a television(I am sure this must be something different).

Nightwing:

what is a TV license?

Please don't tell me your government acualy requires you to get a license to own a television(I am sure this must be something different).

Er Nightwing, In the UK you have to buy a TV licence if you have equipment capable of receiving a TV signal. It costs around £120 per year.

The revenue collected supposedly goes to the BBC to finance the programme making.

The BBC channels are free from commercial advertising and, not being reliant on pandering to commercial competition, the argument goes that they can make programmes concentrating on quality, education and minority interests. (Although they do get criticism when they fail to attract the viewing figures of the commercial stations so tend to go head to head on programme scheduling anyway).

Whenever you buy a TV, your details are sent on to the TV licensing authority, who keep a database of all addresses, and which ones have bought sets, and who has failed to get/renew the license.

They have powers of entry to check for illicit sets, and use detector vans to patrol the streets looking for the emissions of unlicensed sets.

People who have decided not to own a set have been given a hard time by the authorities who cannot comprehend that idea!

(Though to be fair, 99.9% of people caught without a licence also claim to not own a set!)

At least a single TV licence now covers you for all sets in a family house, although if you live in multiply occupied premises (eg student accomodation) you need your own individual licence.

So given that we all pay a TV licence, and there are millions of anglers, shouldn't we all be writing to the BBC demanding some more decent angling programmes, to be made by the BBC?

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

quote:

Originally posted by jangar:

[QB][/QB]

Couple of things here, last year I had to buy 5 licences for our trip to Yately. I got them on line and it was so easy compared to most other types of shoping I have done online. We had confirmation instantly and the hard copy arrived 3 days later. It was realy excellent and saved us a days fishing and a lot of time/hassle.

If anyone is interested, over here in Holland we get a reminder in late November and if we pay by direct debit before the middle of December (I think), we get a discount.

The licence arrives before 1st January and runs for 1 year. This method is perfect for me as there is always some nut who calls up and says lets go for a couple of hours.

The youngsters under 15 using only 1 rod/pole do not need the national licence but do have to pay (usually reduced) for private waters. A lot of private waters insist on an adult being with the youngsters. This is for the owners, youngsters fish and other anglers protection.

On the spot fines are normal and if you do not have any money with you they will either wait for you to go to the "hole in the wall" or confiscate your gear until you pay. Excellent system.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

I had a D.D. form about 3 weeks ago from EA. I hadn't asked for it, but have used it.

I don't know if they are trying it out with concessionary licence first, but I'm all for it. :D:D:D

Del.

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Alan good for the youngsters in holland not needing a licence till 15yrs old, i'm all in favour of that, its one thing getting the younger lads/lasses into fishing, another thing keeping them, might be better if they made it 16 when they left school.