Where do they go

terry t shirt

It Occured to me that the species we target tend to have windows in the year where we target them.

Tench being a classic example we get them late spring early summer but come august they seem to decline/ dissapear. If it was the weather i could understand but that doesnt really make sense as its still warm so i assume they must still be feeding so where do they go.

The tench is just an example i know some lakes i fish seem to have no roach/rudd until july august then its a fish a chuck. Bream i've always tended to target sept / oct so why are they harder to catch at other times of year(excluding winter)

Ideas?

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

It's hard one and something I have often thought about. I have not come up with a reason for it but was wondering do fish tend to shoal up to a certain extent at certain times of the year which is when we tend to be targeting them or at least seem to catch them in bigger bags and then do they break up into smaller groups and so almost seem to disappear as they are spread out in a water in smallish groups and so you only tend to pick off the odd fish. But it does seem sometimes like they have just up and left only to return the same time next year.

Could it be that at certain times of the year they get preoccupied on certain food stuffs and so do not touch anglers baits, it may explain why Tench seem abundant in Spring and early Summer, but when natural food items are plentyful by late summer they do not seem to get caught as often.

To be honest I think I am clutching at straws and am at a lost to understand why :rolleyes:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Good question and tench are probably the species for a definite cut off date. Would barbel fall into that category too? I've never fished for them in winter.

They must still be there during winter so perhaps their metabolism slows right down and they hole up in a comfortable spot with minimal feeding activity.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

They must still be there during winter so perhaps their metabolism slows right down and they hole up in a comfortable spot with minimal feeding activity.

i can understand the slowing metabolism in winter but that doesnt explain why in the height of summer a lot of waters appear to be devoid of fish yet we know they are there.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

It Occured to me that the species we target tend to have windows in the year where we target them.

Tench being a classic example we get them late spring early summer but come august they seem to decline/ dissapear. If it was the weather i could understand but that doesnt really make sense as its still warm so i assume they must still be feeding so where do they go.

The tench is just an example i know some lakes i fish seem to have no roach/rudd until july august then its a fish a chuck. Bream i've always tended to target sept / oct so why are they harder to catch at other times of year(excluding winter)

Ideas?

Certainly tench are easier to catch in the spring and early summer because they are shoaling up ready for spawning. Some of this is also because they need to feed up to produce the eggs and milt but some is also due to competitive feeding in the shoal. Small bream can be easy to catch when the shoal moves into your swim for the same competitive feeding reason. But you try catching them big ones though when they only go around in small groups <_< .

Tench can be caught all year round though. One of my fellow Tenchfishers caught at least one tench every month for 27 consecutive months but he did have to be careful where he fished.

Steve C.

not sure why tench get hard to find but there's a few swims where they can be caught all year round ,not so readily ofcourse but they're there if your lucky.

good roach generally like it cool at the local pond but this year have been caught in abundance in even hot weather.

if we knew all anglings secrets then it wouldnt be worth bothering with

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

This is a really good question.

The tench part has already been answered - they group up and feed hard in the build-up to spawning, then disperse and feed less hard, and this coincides with the summer bounty of natural food, so they can afford to be picky too.

On one lake I fish, there are no small roach, rudd or perch to be seen or caught until mid-summer, at which point they are everywhere. So they were either in the swims and not feeding on our baits, or out of fishing range. It is very strange. I think they must be out of range because small fish like that are normally hard to avoid. However, when they do come in close in summer and start to be caught a lot, it's clear that there are thousands of them, so for the rest of the year is there really a vast, dense shoal of these fish out in the middle? If so, why are there pike in the margins?

A similar thing happens in rivers each winter, the small fish shoal up and leave great lengths of water almost empty. I'm sure this is why you can then go and catch nothing but big chub, for example. It is simply because there aren't any tiddlers there to intercept the bait.

On waters where the fish seem to disappear during summer, I would bet that it's because there is a glut of natural, microscopic food, and preoccupation means our baits are ignored.

September and October are great months for almost all coarse species. They know winter is coming and the food is getting harder to find, and so become more vulnerable.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music