Hmm thinking new pin today!

AddictedToScopex

Ok fellas. Got one for all you pinheads here.

So im in the market for a better centrepin (already!) and i'm not sure where to start looking (by which i mean brands and models). I am Finding the grice and youngs to be a little slow to get going on the trot and on the cast so thinking a specific trotting reel would be better as i have heard the G&Y is not the most ideal for the job as it is. As always I have a budget as I would also like to get myself some waders this month which got put on the back burner after some lovely person smashed into the side of my car. Im looking to spend no more than £70 so i know im fairly limited but the waders are crucial. It may even be a case of finding a reel and waiting till next month to get it as i would rather have the waders to be able to access some swims i have had my eye on. Basically does anyone have any advice and examples of what i should be looking at as the next step up?

Enjoy :P

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Ok fellas. Got one for all you pinheads here.

So im in the market for a better centrepin (already!) and i'm not sure where to start looking (by which i mean brands and models). I am Finding the grice and youngs to be a little slow to get going on the trot and on the cast so thinking a specific trotting reel would be better as i have heard the G&Y is not the most ideal for the job as it is. As always I have a budget as I would also like to get myself some waders this month which got put on the back burner after some lovely person smashed into the side of my car. Im looking to spend no more than £70 so i know im fairly limited but the waders are crucial. It may even be a case of finding a reel and waiting till next month to get it as i would rather have the waders to be able to access some swims i have had my eye on. Basically does anyone have any advice and examples of what i should be looking at as the next step up?

Enjoy :P

I’d save up a bit and buy a new AN ‘pin. Mine starts up better than any other reel I’ve owned. Alternatively a Sheffield, a better value reel, but heavier (in particular the drum).

I wouldn’t suggest that you buy another used bearingless reel. The G&Y is presumably in good nick but there’s one aspect of its performance you’re not happy with. It’s possible that you’d buy another reel with the same characteristic.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Okuma VT1002.......simples! :D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Damn tigger thats like the list of naughty films you find at the local dvd shop lol. I really dont know what to do now. Do i sack off the waders so i can hold one of those shiny beauties or do i get the waders and wait for the reel. Lifes decisions are hard!!!

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I noticed that you do not show any options in your centre pin list for any young’s pins? When buying a pin say for light stick float fishing is it a question of what you pay what you get as in are the better pins more expensive or would I just be buying the name? I am a little of a tackle tart and like my brands never used a Okuma product are they quality products or just cheaper alternatives. Go for the waders access is everything makes fishing the stick so much easier.

I noticed that you do not show any options in your centre pin list for any young’s pins? When buying a pin say for light stick float fishing is it a question of what you pay what you get as in are the better pins more expensive or would I just be buying the name? I am a little of a tackle tart and like my brands never used a Okuma product are they quality products or just cheaper alternatives. Go for the waders access is everything makes fishing the stick so much easier.

If the okuma cp's weren't up to the job I wouldn't have reccommended them. The youngs reels are very good and I have several myself but as regards usability the okumas are as good as anything out there...in my opinion.

Tiggers response was accurate the Okuma is a good quality pin that will do everything very well and at a reasonable price.

The Youngs reels are also perfectly adequate the price tag is larger and the design is a tad different just be aware that the newer Youngs reels seem to be getting made in China though the price tags are the same as when they were made in Redditch....

The Hardy reels are also adequate but stupidly overpriced.

The new Adcock Stantons also seem to be good but again are rather pricey.

If you want a future collectable and are prepared to lay out a lot of money and wait for years you could also go for a Chris Lythe pin but again in the real world they don't do anything that the Okuma doesn't do.

If you go for an Okuma avoid the baseline Adventa and go for the Adventa Pro which is the VT 1002 or the Sheffield.

For different reasons I would avoid the Kennet and the Trent models in the case of the former a badly designed line cage and the latter an unecessary star drag system which adds weight.

There are a lot of older pins on the secondhand market some will be perfectly good reels others will be garbage avoid the trap of "it spins forever"as this is meaningless in the real world.

Caveate Emptor in that market!

So you pays your money and makes your choice but before you do spend some time with someone who can use one properly to show you how to handle one and then you will appreciate the value of these reels and enjoy having them.

Avoid doing what many have done buy one and then be too stupidly proud to get help in learning how to use it then wind up flogging it later ....blaming the reel!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan