The correct way to tie spade end hooks

Krids

Hi all

I am in need of some help/advice.

Today I was fishing down my local pit where had a steady 4 hours fishing on corn. Caught a few tiddlers and hooked into 3 5-6 pound carp and didn't land a single one :(

I think this is because of my useless knot tying or the hook length may have been too fine?

So what I am asking is what knot is best to Yerevan attaching spade end hooks and also what knot is best fore eyed hooks for good measure.

Thank you for your time

Kris

Hi all

I am in need of some help/advice.

Today I was fishing down my local pit where had a steady 4 hours fishing on corn. Caught a few tiddlers and hooked into 3 5-6 pound carp and didn't land a single one :(

I think this is because of my useless knot tying or the hook length may have been too fine?

So what I am asking is what knot is best to Yerevan attaching spade end hooks and also what knot is best fore eyed hooks for good measure.

Thank you for your time

Kris

For spade end hooks i recommend you get yourself a matchman hook tyer. They are great and come with instructions on how to tie them. For an eyed hook i usually use a half blood knot without tuck.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I would do as said and get a matchman type hooktyer for spade ends. You can use them for eyed hooks as well and get a good neat strong finish, you can use the tag end for a hair rig as well.

If you can master the Snell knot for spade ends it is brilliant and very strong, but it takes some practice for small hooks.

For eyed hooks (and swivels) I usually use a palomar knot - strong as a strong thing that's strong, but only if you can get the line through the eye twice. Otherwise the uni-knot is probably best.

I don't find the bloodknot very reliable, but a million fly anglers use it, tucked or not, and seem to manage.

Edited by Wag

Where's the 'ANY' key?

I could never get the hang of those hook tier things - always found it easier to tie by hand.

I've never used one of the hook tier things having done the same as you and always tied by hand. I've never had to go smaller than size 18's but I would imagine it may be easier tying the smaller hooks,20's, 24's via a hook tier.

+1 for the palomar knot for eyed when you can double pass the line, if not, I use the 'Dumhof Knot' which is like a standard spade knot, just you pass the hook thru the eye first.

Never used a hook tyer myself, but if you have the patience you can learn to tie a snell knot or whatever variation of spade knot by hand, just as quickly as eyed hooks.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I could never get the hang of those hook tier things - always found it easier to tie by hand.

Me neither. I think the key is to try a BIG HOOK first then scale down. The hook tyer is more complex in my view.

I used to tie 24's to 1lb line in winter in my teens - fishing a single feeder or pinkie for bits on a pole. I can't imagine doing that now!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I used to tie 24's to 1lb line in winter in my teens - fishing a single feeder or pinkie for bits on a pole. I can't imagine doing that now!

As an experiment, I recently tried tying some flies on very small spade end hooks that I'd first tied to nylon - 22s and 24s included. I can still do it!

spades.jpg

scale1.jpg

scale2.jpg

Now threading eyed hooks in low light, that's something that's got a bit difficult of late.