I need a lot of help!

Roland

Hello Everyone,

Im Ben and I live in Hertfordshire. Yesterday I went fishing for the first time in 12 years and found that I have a lot to learn. The location, Stanborough Lakes near Welwyn. Weather, Not bad. Did I catch anything? Nope.

Fishing has already got it's wet fins locked around me and i'm hooked. Off I trundled with my new fishing set (thanks Argos), a pot of pellets and a sandwich for me. Frustrating thing was that it took me nearly an hour to get a rig setup correctly with a little help from the lake baliff. The floats I had did not have anything printed on them so I was setting up rigs blind (again, thanks Argos!). Tying knots was bloody difficult too.

So I cast my line to about 15 feet out (I have a question on this), watched the float like a hawk for 20 minutes to no avail, reeled in, replaced the bait and cast out again. Repeat for 5 1/2 hours. Although it was bugging me that nothing towed my line all day. What made me feel better was that no one else around the lake seemed to be cathing anything either! I contemplated seeing if I changed my bait to my peanut butter sandwich might yield something!

So highlights from the day:

1. As the lake has a woodland trail, the amount of lovely ladies and their prams walking round or jogging was high :lol:

2. I saw a rat having a fight with a magpie, endless entertainment there!

3. A big carp swam up to my swim along the reeds then dived. A great sight while trying to remember how to create a half blood knot!

So I have a few questions and please be patient as you may be able to tell I'm a bit new at this.

When I left, a guy a couple of swims down was float fishing, his float was nearly 40 feet away. how did he do this? do some floats have greater bouyancy that can be weighted more? If so, if there a way to tell which will do what?

Is there a "rigs for dummies" book or a very basic how to float fish book that you could recommend?

Why do fish like fruity baits? When I went to the tackle shop I saw pineapple pellets etc and didnt quite understand it.

My kit came with a catapult which I used a little (more to feel like Bart simpson or Dennis the mennace), Should I throw bait with it around my float? how often?

Anybody in Hertfordshire recommend a lake for novices like me? I live in Elstree and don't mind half an hour away.

who would win a fight? A right or a magpie? :lol:

A bit long but I need your help, All I caught yesterday was a twig!

Ben

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone,

Im Ben and I live in Hertfordshire. Yesterday I went fishing for the first time in 12 years and found that I have a lot to learn. The location, Stanborough Lakes near Welwyn. Weather, Not bad. Did I catch anything? Nope.

Fishing has already got it's wet fins locked around me and i'm hooked. Off I trundled with my new fishing set (thanks Argos), a pot of pellets and a sandwich for me. Frustrating thing was that it took me nearly an hour to get a rig setup correctly with a little help from the lake baliff. The floats I had did not have anything printed on them so I was setting up rigs blind (again, thanks Argos!). Tying knots was bloody difficult too.

So I cast my line to about 15 feet out (I have a question on this), watched the float like a hawk for 20 minutes to no avail, reeled in, replaced the bait and cast out again. Repeat for 5 1/2 hours. Although it was bugging me that nothing towed my line all day. What made me feel better was that no one else around the lake seemed to be cathing anything either! I contemplated seeing if I changed my bait to my peanut butter sandwich might yield something!

So highlights from the day:

1. As the lake has a woodland trail, the amount of lovely ladies and their prams walking round or jogging was high :lol:

2. I saw a rat having a fight with a magpie, endless entertainment there!

3. A big carp swam up to my swim along the reeds then dived. A great sight while trying to remember how to create a half blood knot!

So I have a few questions and please be patient as you may be able to tell I'm a bit new at this.

When I left, a guy a couple of swims down was float fishing, his float was nearly 40 feet away. how did he do this? do some floats have greater bouyancy that can be weighted more? If so, if there a way to tell which will do what?

Is there a "rigs for dummies" book or a very basic how to float fish book that you could recommend?

Why do fish like fruity baits? When I went to the tackle shop I saw pineapple pellets etc and didnt quite understand it.

My kit came with a catapult which I used a little (more to feel like Bart simpson or Dennis the mennace), Should I throw bait with it around my float? how often?

Anybody in Hertfordshire recommend a lake for novices like me? I live in Elstree and don't mind half an hour away.

who would win a fight? A right or a magpie? :lol:

A bit long but I need your help, All I caught yesterday was a twig!

Ben

Ok i'll give it a go at answering some of your questions from my point of view:

1-He probably had a float called a loaded waggler, a float with a weight at the base of it which can give you the weight to cast it very far, they are normally slightly bigger and more buoyant and you can tell it is a loaded waggler by the weight or bulge at its base, just ask someone at your local tackle shop for one. They are useful at casting further out and can be very effective.

2-Buy yourself a copy of Tony Whieldon-Coarse fishing(fishing skills) Its available on amazon for about 3 quid, its a brilliant book that will get you all the relevant information on float fishing and the basics of coarse fishing in general. That is what i would recommend but there are hundreds of fishing books so find one that suits you.

3-Its just for attraction, carp, bream and even roach love a fruity bait and its just something to leak off and attract the fish. Its not just fruity flavours, there's hundreds and there all pretty effective.

4-When loose-feeding it is important to use the theory of little and often, dont throw in loads of loose-feed at once, just small amounts about every 5 minutes. Depending on what you are using id catapult out about 10-20 maggots every five minutes or so, but its different with whatever bait you use, sweetcorn and pellets can be more filling and you dont want to fill up the fish so id use less of these baits. Only use the catapult if you cant throw it accurately.

5-Sorry i dont know the area, im sure someone on here will help you though.

6-Id go with the rat, they have bigger claws :)

Just my advice but id start off with a light float set-up of about 3 lb line all the way through to the hook to start with, fish close to features like lilies, reeds and overhanging trees. Use maggots or sweetcorn as bait, you will catch roach and perch and the odd bream, start with that then when you get the hang of it go up to bigger stuff like carp. You will get the hang of it, just keep practising. And definitely buy a book on how to start fishing as its a good way to show you the ropes.

I hope this helps

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Dave, Thanks very much for the reply

I've just ordered this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing-Bas...e/dp/0600614018

went to the tackle shop this morning and bought a variety of floats some for longer casting. The chap in the shop also mentioned that shot sizes double up every time? so 2 x bb is 1 x aaa. Is this right?

also bought some scopex pellets and with the help of tescos, some luncheon meat & some corn. Unfortunatley I can't have maggots as the girlfriend would leave me :lol:

I was quite handy with the catapult yesterday as the float was only 15 feet away.

another question, if in the rare event I catch a fish, Is it recommended to always use the disgorger? or can I just unhook it manually?

cheers

Ben

A great first post Ben, and welcome to AN!

A big carp swam up to my swim along the reeds then dived. A great sight while trying to remember how to create a half blood knot!

I think there's a clue there, with the carp cruising in your swim...!

The big fish, or any fish, don't always sit 40 feet out waiting for you to ambush them...

I never fish much more than a rod's length from the bank, and consistently outfish the guys on our lake! They laugh at me, whilst they're casting out into the far distance and they see me fishing under my rod tip...I get lots of what they appear to think are very amusing comments when I cast out more than a few feet...

However, nine times out of ten I'll have the last laugh!

I find that particularly at the start and end of the day, the big fish tend to mooch around the margins...possibly mopping up left over bait, possibly just thinking it's safe? Who knows? However, that's where I've always had the most success.

The tackle shops would have us believe anything! Many of them aren't interesting in catching fish, just catching anglers, and we do appear to be easy to hook!

I can only speak from my own experience, but maggots, casters, worm and bread are always consistently good baits for most fish. Luncheon meat on occasions, but as for the fruity/spicy overpriced and overhyped stuff? Don't waste your money...

I stand by to be corrected!

Janet

+1 for fishing in the margins. What length rod do you have? What line do you have on now? The argos line is somewhat heavy duty if I remember right. Personally would recommend 4lb daiwa sensor (cheap as a cheap thing and loads of it too) to a 3lb hooklength as you may break off (personal preference, plus I don't know how good your reels' clutch is). I'd also recommend getting a book too and going straight to the knots section and make yourself some hook to nylon hooklengths up. Either just for practice or to build up a stockpile.

As I rarely float fish I can't really help much there but do remember to keep the larger shot towards the float as I find it helps casting and to make the line lay better without wrapping over the float and don't be afraid to vary the depth you're fishing to find the fish.

Welcome back,

Renrag

P.S. Magpie

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

With regards to you point of:

"When I left, a guy a couple of swims down was float fishing, his float was nearly 40 feet away. how did he do this? do some floats have greater bouyancy that can be weighted more? If so, if there a way to tell which will do what?"

I have a float called a Polaris, this is a free running float on the line with a bomb attached about 18" or so from the hook. Having the bomb on the line allows you cast at great distances due to the wieght. When cast out the bomb will then sink to the bottom of the lake and the float will lay flat on top of the waters surface. At this point, you simply put your rod on the rod rests and reel in the slack slowly, as you do this the float will self cock itself and lower into the water allowing you to have as much of the float visible as you wish.

The polaris floats allows you to fish on the bottom without ever having to plumb the depth first, a very handy piece of kit and I have had a lot of success with setup.

Many thanks,

Stooby...

Hi Ben, and welcome to the forum.

It would help if we knew how you set up your float, what rod and line you were using, and how your reel was filled.

If fishing a waggler, you should have at least 2/3 of the total shot either locking your float, or directly beneath it. The rest are used to present your bait as needed, and to register the bite. Better to use a float that's slightly too heavy, than one that's too light.

If your rod is too stiff, or too short, it won't cast a light float very well. If your line is too thick the resistance on the rod rings will reduce your casting distance.

If you're using a fixed spool reel then having too little line on the spool will also restrict casting. Having too much usually results in tangles.

Once you've sorted all that out, then it's just down to, plumbing the depth, (I usually start with the bait just on the bottom, and adjust deeper or shallower, to suit the fish).

As it's been said, start feeding little but often, (it's easier to put more in if needed, than take it out if it's too much :D). How the fish respond, will dictate if you need to add more bait, or lessen the amount of feed.

Janet is right that you don't need to cast far to catch fish, margins are natural feeding areas, and a sharp drop off of the lake bed is a good area to start. There are many 'How to' articles on the net, just google 'float fishing still water' and you will find plenty of articles and pictures to guide you.

John.

PS, There seems to be a rat theme running through your post, (Roland Rat, Ben Michael Jacksons rat, and the rat and the magpie). Is this a coincidence or are you a rat fan? :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Ben, and welcome to the forum.

It would help if we knew how you set up your float, what rod and line you were using, and how your reel was filled.

If fishing a waggler, you should have at least 2/3 of the total shot either locking your float, or directly beneath it. The rest are used to present your bait as needed, and to register the bite. Better to use a float that's slightly too heavy, than one that's too light.

If your rod is too stiff, or too short, it won't cast a light float very well. If your line is too thick the resistance on the rod rings will reduce your casting distance.

If you're using a fixed spool reel then having too little line on the spool will also restrict casting. Having too much usually results in tangles.

Once you've sorted all that out, then it's just down to, plumbing the depth, (I usually start with the bait just on the bottom, and adjust deeper or shallower, to suit the fish).

As it's been said, start feeding little but often, (it's easier to put more in if needed, than take it out if it's too much :D). How the fish respond, will dictate if you need to add more bait, or lessen the amount of feed.

Janet is right that you don't need to cast far to catch fish, margins are natural feeding areas, and a sharp drop off of the lake bed is a good area to start. There are many 'How to' articles on the net, just google 'float fishing still water' and you will find plenty of articles and pictures to guide you.

John.

PS, There seems to be a rat theme running through your post, (Roland Rat, Ben Michael Jacksons rat, and the rat and the magpie). Is this a coincidence or are you a rat fan? :unsure:

John.

Thanks John,

I was using a 4lb line, 14 hook. Rod and reel were part of a cheap 2xl set I picked up from Argos.

I just had a go at making a rig in the lake at work with the more bouyant float and heavier shot, casted out over twice as long as I did yesterday.

I will try far out and the shallow (thanks Janet) tomorrow.

And no i'm not a rat fan :lol: the avatar probably explains the name better now B)

Ben

When setting up I a swim look for obvious fish holding features lily’s reeds and over hanging bushes. These would be the place to start.

It is very important when selecting the right type of float to use on the day by knowing how deep the water is you intend to fish. the different depths of water in front of you and the distance you intend to cast will determine what type of float to use.

Firstly you need to identify depth; you do this with a plummet which is a weight that you attach to your hook and sits on the bottom of the lake. Start with a distance of about 4 feet between your hook and your float if the float sinks than you need to increase the distance between hook and float. (good tip for pluming up is only use very light anchoring shot like a number 4 ether side of the float enough to hold the float in position but not to effect it). If the float lies flat on the water than you need to decrease the distance between hook and float. You no when you have the right depth when the float sits up in the water like a missile.

Once you have found the right depth adjust the shot around your float until it sinks down leaving the tip exposed enough for you to see a bite, but not enough for the fish to notice the buoyancy of the float when it takes the bait. Add some very small shot (dropper) say a number 8 about 10 inch’s from the hook to help sink the line.

Don’t try and cast too far. Casting comes with experience start close in (the fish will still be their) and when you become more confident move out further if needed.

When your float lands put the tip of your rod in the water give a sharp flick to sink the line and reel the float into position. Tip put bank sticks in position before you rest your rod.

Feeding is all important start of buy a little and often basis say 10 to 15 maggots every couple of minutes this should bring fish around your bait.

Maggots may not catch you the biggest fish but they should get you bites and hopefully fish when you are a little more rehearsed in your technique you might try for larger fish. You need to learn the basic first.

When casting it should be in one smooth motion with not much effort involved ( I see a lot of people thinking they are sword fighting, Zorro was not a fisherman) don’t try to cast to the horizon.

the rat should Prevail. hope this helps