Commemorative plaque for Two Tone

poledark

Be interested if you can find the other one John. I just cant see that it was possible for any of the carp stocked to be triploids. It certainly wasnt common practice back then even in trout farming (where it originated) I dont even think the knowledge and practice were developed 40 years ago!

I think its possible that people have confussed the terminology. For those who dont know a triploid fish is created at the egg stage.The process destroys the cells that determine the sex of the fish. This means the fish grows up "sexless" The advantaghes with the reared trout it was developed for were that they grew quicker and bigger (as they didnt waste ebergy producing milt or eggs) and were never out of condition.

Im not sure this would have been about back when TT was born but may be wrong.Also I had not heard of carp in this country being produced (all though one of the old rumours regarding the origins of the fish said they came from a European farm).

A naturally sterile fish maybe (cant ever recall seeing thgem carrying spawn or spawning and there certainly isnt a load of smaller carp comming through) but a created triploid I doubt.But be interesting to find out.

Quite an important thing really.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How old, and how long it's been in the water, seems a bit of a mystery, Budgie. I've done a bit of research, (nothing very intense), but until you mentioned that you'd had it at 28lb, I couldn't find a reference to it being less than a low 30. I'm therefore not surprised when you say they have regularly move fish from water to water. Without any definite records, surely it could have been put in at any time, and at any weight.

John.

Ive no idea what size the fish were stocked at but like I said reneber Paul catching 30's in the early 90's.Thing is back then a 30 was a much "bigger" fish than it is now so I cant see Faversham moving big carp from their waters.I had all ways assumed they would have been 8-11lbrs (same as they had removed to stock other waters)

Unfortunately I havnt got any contact details for Yorky these days so cant ask him.

I'm no biologist, but, I understood the process to be, when the eggs were subjected to 'trauma', such as sudden heat, cold, or agitation, this caused the normal passing on of a genetic key from each parent, to change, and a third was produced. Hence 'triploid'. The fish could be basically either male or female, but unable to reproduce.

I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall them doing this with trout in the late 60s Budgie.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes thats right John. Im just undecided as to wether it was late 60's or early 70's.Either way still very close to the time when these fish would have been spawned (taking that they were/are 35 years to 40 years old as believed) And once again I cant remember any carp being created this way but once again its not 100%.Allthough I cant discount it for definate my money would have to be on a confussion of terms still.

It's official.

Those anglers attending the service of a dead fish are a national laughingstock....and once again, the normal folk out there who occasionally wield a rod, are also dragged into the joke!

Next time, leave the realtree egos at home, and tell the media sod off.

Yep, like the silly cow on the one show who ended by saying that "they spent years trying to kill him......................"

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It's official.

Those anglers attending the service of a dead fish are a national laughingstock....and once again, the normal folk out there who occasionally wield a rod, are also dragged into the joke!

Next time, leave the realtree egos at home, and tell the media sod off.

Which idiot invited the press? What on earth where they expecting, a minutes silence on national TV? Once again I'm ashamed to be a fisherman, I hardly dare go to work tomorrow.

Of course they're going to make you look like a bunch of t**ts. At best a bunch of sad gits at worst a bunch of evil fish torturers. Worst of all now we all look a stupid as the mourners. I sick to the back teeth of trying to explain / apologise for them to non-anglers who assume I'm just as sad.

Rich

I'd consider a quick fumble in the lillypads with a saucy mermaid, but not a fat old carp.

Perrrrlease Wayne, i recon both of those would have suffered with bad breath. Yuc. B)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

As expected we were all made to look a bunch of sad idiots again. When will they ever learn?

Just been reading a few indignant posters on the Cemex forum, according to them, it's the fault of the presenters for not understanding, and not treating the matter with the respect it deserves. :blink:

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John