Free pass - River Severn?

Waterman

My lovely Mrs has given me the nod for a weekends fishing and I'm trying to decide where to go. If you consider that last season I got in something like 2 short sessions, you can imagine how important it is that I make the most of it! I'm toying with the idea of driving up to the Severn, I spent a week there a couple of years ago for the first time and got in some fantastic fishing. Can anyone suggest somewhere on a day ticket but hopefully not too busy and with somewhere cheap to stay nearby?

[ 20 May 2002, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Waterman ]

Mike the Anchor at Kemsey is only about £20 per night B&B and the stretch's we fished for the AN fish in's are both day ticket venues.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

The Ironbridge area is worth a look as there's loads of B&B's (or even a Travelodge) because it's a tourist area. Easy to get to as well as it's straight off the M54. You could even bring the wife as there's loads of tourist stuff to do.

I'm a bit out of touch as I moved south a couple of years ago but I can give you a few contacts and some info - mail me privately if you're interested :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

If you,ve seen Matt Hayes on the tele fishing by that slipway, that's at Arley, just upsteam of Bewdley. There's some free water there, or even better, day tickets for the B.A.A.who have both banks there, as for accomadation there's a couple of local B&Bs or plenty in Bewdley. Good Barbel,Roach,Chub and of course Essox. if you need more info mail me.

A BAA card is the obvious choice but if you don't want to do that there is some day ticket water at Bewdley.

Just drive up Northwood Lane (next to the Texaco garrage in the town) and park next to the aquaduct. The water is ustream (between the car park and the BAA water at Trimpley) with tickets avaiable at one of the local farm houses. It's both quieter and more varied fishing than either Stan Lewis's stretch (day tickets from his tackle shop on Lax Lane) or the Harbour Inn stretch at Arley - not sure if the tickets are sold in the pub or on the bank.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Tony

How come you've never fished the Severn for eels then? some gooduns up here y'know when I was a kid I used to sell mine at 5 shillings, 25p a lb. got 6 quid one night, My cousin caught a 4 1/2 pounder some time ago at Diglis Worcester They taste good too.

Thanks for the info everyone, it would be good to get something sorted out properly before I set off as I'll have about a 2 1/2 hour drive up on the Friday evening so I don't need to be poncing around when I get there trying to find a bed for the night waisting time that could be spent in the pub!

Having fished the Hampshire Avon all my life (a hard water in comparison I think)I couldn't believe what I'd been missing out on all this time when I did come to fish the Severn. I fished a short day ticket stretch by a lock not far from Bewdley and the barbel fishing was second to none not to mention the bags of big roach to be had. I'm still weighing this up against finding a nice still water down south and staying on the water for the weekend. It's a long old hall up there for someone that rarely goes further north than Hounslow but the fishing really is my "bag". Decisions decisions.

Waterman Try Stan Lewis tackle shop on river front at Bewdley he also has a b&b Address is as follows

S R LEWIS

1-4 SEVERN SIDE SOUTH

BEWDLEY

WORCESTERSHIRE

DY12 2DY

PHONE 01299 403358

HE HAS WATER ON RIVER SEVERN +POOL'S in local area

Cheer's Larry

http://www.larrysworld.co.uk

mailto:larry@larrysworld.co.uk