Record Rudd

lutra

Mark, you must have tiny hands :) my average sized hand measures almost 90cm across the unspread knuckles. That is 3.5" (not 4" as I thought) Still a damned great Rudd all the same. One hand is slightly spread so is easily 4"+. and the other has a gap between two of the fingers, so again is a good 4"+.

But never mind, he is a carper, so must be either mistaken, has dodgy scales, or is simply telling lies????????????

The only other question I would ask is, why take the risk of providing a photo if it is such a lot smaller than claimed?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the photo was better quality and not held out so far then it might be easier to tell.

I dont think the guy is lying but I do think he may be mistaken. Carp anglers these days ( as in the many who just carp fish and come straight in to it)are not used to catching lots of other species so dont really know what weight to expect. Weighing the smaller species is a lot harder than the bigger ones eg the weight of a wet carp sling (not subtracted or allowed for) makes no great odds for most when weighing 20lb + fish but that weight can nigh on double the true weight of a perch,roach or Rudd etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

my average sized hand measures almost 90cm across the unspread knuckles.

Den

Blimey !! that's nearly a yard. Don't wanna get in a bare-knuckle fight with you then!

Seriously, I know you mean 90mm (or 9 cm) - in fact my hand is fractionally larger than that. but a big mystery attaches to mens' hand and glove sizes.

Whenever I try to buy a pair of leather gloves (for holding binoculars when bird-watching in winter - although when fishing in winter I suffer without gloves) the shop rarely has a pair large enough. Now my hands are not huge. When I played rugby I envied those chaps who could pick up and run with the ball in one hand - I couldn't.

So there are plenty of big-handed guys out there - wonder what they do for gloves?

The rudd? - well, it's a size to be pleased about - I don't care what it weighs.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The rudd? - well, it's a size to be pleased about - I don't care what it weighs.

Dave, I don't think anyone else would care what it weighed either if he wasn't trying to say it weighs 5lb+ and is a new British record.

Dave, I don't think anyone else would care what it weighed either if he wasn't trying to say it weighs 5lb+ and is a new British record.

Still don't care :whistling::whistling:

Don't care what he says

Don't care about "British Records" either which, in these days of photo fakery, self-appointed experts on fish recognition, imported fish attached to a line and "witnesses" summoned, fish artificially bred for fatness, and other shennanigans too numerous to mention, have long become meaningless.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Still don't care :whistling::whistling:

Don't care what he says

Don't care about "British Records" either which, in these days of photo fakery, self-appointed experts on fish recognition, imported fish attached to a line and "witnesses" summoned, fish artificially bred for fatness, and other shennanigans too numerous to mention, have long become meaningless.

Never thought of it like that Dave...but of course you are absolutly right ! :)

I agree as well

The whole big fish( record fish) thing is a total farce anyway.

Frank Sawyer was one of the first to point this out in the 60s and it got a lot worse from then.

Gary

There are a couple of pics in this weeks Anglers Mail of Rudd over 3lb. One of them is 3lb 10oz. The guys hands will show that it is a lot smaller than the claimed 5 lber.....or to put it another way, the 5lber looks a lot bigger than the 3lb 10oz one.

Budgie, why would you doubt that a carp angler would be unable to weigh a small fish properly? I would have thought that in the case of a potential record claim, most carpers would be very careful how they weigh a fish. We are not talking estimates here, the fish was weighed and witnessed and photographed, and the weight was very likely double checked.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic