Adapting barbed hooks

medwaygreen

If i pinch off the barb on a hook with long nose pliers is the hook now barbless or because a small bump is left were is barb was would it be classed as micro-barb? :confused: :confused:

Also is this practice acceptable?

[ 12. September 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: medwaygreen ]

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I hope it's classed as barbless because I use them on fisheries with a barbless-only policy. There is certainly no barb left and I believe you can also buy barbless hooks with a slight bump in them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Pinched barbed hooks are good for holding on baits like Brandlings and other worms.

They are still easy to unhook .

I have heard that barbless hooks can cause more damage than barbed hooks due to the hook hold slipping and tearing the fishes mouth.

If the barbs are being removed in this way for your own ease of use I would classify them as barbless, however if they are being removed to comply with fishery rules then they are probably not barbless.

Some fisheries will test hooks on a piece of nylon stocking or a woolly jumper and if they don't come out easy they ain't barbless.

Thanks ajp good advise

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.