Big 'nuisance' carp to Mark Barrett!

Peter Waller

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as this business of naming goes, i reckon that it will end up as either "wits fish" or "wits forty". wit being my nickname.

but if i was pushed i would call it lucky!!!!!!!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Wit's Whopper

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

When the write-up and pictures have been safely published in the various angling publications, would someone please put details and a picture or two on here?

I have no access to the other sources and there are probably some other posters in the same situation.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i hope that has worked.

right the full story for those that have requested it.

" the reason why i was fishing for carp in the first place, being mainly a predator angler in the first place is that on the opening night of the river season i was zandering on this drain and everytime i cast in i was spooking off carp from the area.

this was to good an opportunity to miss so myself and a couple of mates began pre baiting the river with a combination of pineapple nash boillies, maples, hemp, corn and pelletts (trout and pineapple) at a rate of 20 litre bucketfull of particle every two or three nights for three to four weeks. we baited heavily for the first two weeks, gradually steping back when it got nearer to actual fishing time.

our first session on the water was a complete blank, so on the two mile walk back along the drain, we baited a different area, but not too far from our original area. on our first trip just over a week ago we did a three night session and on the first night i had a fin perfect common of 14.14 which totally beat me up, it fought like mad!

i was very chuffed about this fish as it was immaculate, almost certainly uncaught and with no name! and had made all the long walks worthwhile.

that afternoon i had to go and play cricket, so i left all my gear with a mate and came back late as we had won after a big run chase. i got back about 9.30pm and recast quickly before it got dark. i had been using pop ups on both rods, but the common that i had caught had been hooked on the outside of the mouth and as i was using dynamite sticks over about a dozen pouches of mixed pellets and corn. i wasnt sure that the fish had actually taken the bait, so i decided to swap the pop up for a bottom bait. however in the rush to get the rods in i forgot to put on backleads. huge mistake.

the fish in here are very spooky and tight lines through the water are a kiss of death. hence that night passed by without incident.

the next day i had a wander up and down the drain stalking pike and looking for carp and watching the harriers across the fields from the drain. a very enjoyable, if somewhat fruitless day as far as catching goes!

about 5pm i re did both the rods and recast them, one to a channel made by the lillies and the other in a cattle drink. about 8pm a huge thunderstorm broke and i dived under the brolley as it was really coming down. something made me look out from under the brolley as i did my cattle drink rod dropped back. i ran out un waterproofed expecting a bream or tench and hit into the run which had come back up the drain towards me. the fish had got into a light patch of lillies but soon came free and plodded up and down the drain a bit before i managed to bundle it into the net. i cut the line above the leadcore leader and tried to lift the net out and couldnt!

i had to brace myself and heave and lifted the fish over onto the mat. i knew then that i had a biggie, but to be honest, i was thinking 30lb. i tried to weigh the fish on my avons but they kept bottoming out. thinking that i had bought 32lb avons i rang my mate up who was about 100 yards down the drain to bring his bigger scales down. unfortunately i cant write his comments!!

he came down about half an hour later and we hoisted the fish up on the scales with the help of a storm pole where we got a weight of 43lb 14oz. we then began the dance of the gibbering idiots!!!

after a quick photo session, which was very awkward as the fish was so bulky and really made my arms ache i can tell you!!

the fish went back happily and it was time to chain smoke fags and chain drink tea for the rest of the night!!!

my abiding memory other than the fish will always be watching the sun come up in the last of my dry clothes, drinking a tea and having a fag, perched on my mates bucket outside his bivvy, as the egrets and marsh harriers began their days work.

bootifull!!!

well there you go guys thats the entire story.

tight lines to you all and thanks for all your kind words, it has been very humbling.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk