Stockport Federation Of Anglers

SpecimenSean

Is anybody here a member of S&DAF? Are you pished off with the abuse, sorry i mean running, of this long established club? Lets make some noise!

After being told today by a baliff that he kills pike and having a talk with a few members on the bank, im wondering, does something need to be done and how do we go about doin it?

A few things the S&DAF have done or havent done.

Compstall - They let it be decimated by cormorants, and i mean DECIMATED. Then put fish refuges in only to take them out again when the yacht club made an objection. They didnt fight, they just rolled over. Walkers, bird watchers, yachters etc all take priority yet only a small percentage of those pay for the priveledge of being there, unlike every angler.

New House Farm - Tony Martin....another baliff and pike enthusiast..and i quote "if you catch one chuck it over that wall onto the train tracks" Nice...

Poynton Pool - Where to start....3 ft deep, 6 ft of silt. Cormorants eating everything. Bouys being put in to restrict fishing because of the residents in the million pond houses are worried about ledgering. You need a 4oz beachcaster and hell of a lot of effort to come anywhere near to the houses.....

Woodbank - 1000's of fish dead the last few years from oxygenation problems. Another few thousand netted and sold. Not baliffed for a long time. Left to rot really even though its full of decent fish.

Thats just a very small portion of what they do/dont do.

Points being, this a decent club, with a lack of support or interest from "the commitee". They are ruining and killing this club, and with a little effort, it could be very good again. I noticed in the members card today there are a few empty positions including chairman. I would like some advice from the older members, or anyone in the know really about what you would do, or how i should go about trying to make some change.

Also, if there are any S&DAF members here would like to add anything, or support this, please, MAKE SOME NOISE!!

Cheers

Sean

gone

Regarding the cormorants ...it's illegal to shot/kill them unless a licence has been granted. In my opinion they do naff all damage in most circumstances anyhow.

The amount of fish they consume is greatly exagerated.

Regarding the cormorants ...it's illegal to shot/kill them unless a licence has been granted. In my opinion they do naff all damage in most circumstances anyhow.

The amount of fish they consume is greatly exagerated.

40 nesting pairs and their offspring have really damaged the place. its well known the damage they've done, its even been in local news. thanks though...

gone

30 of your friends could probably vote off the committee at the next AGM and elect a new one.

If you have a genuine case, and if you can muster that many who care, and who will attend an AGM and serve on a committee - problem solved.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

30 of your friends could probably vote off the committee at the next AGM and elect a new one.

If you have a genuine case, and if you can muster that many who care, and who will attend an AGM and serve on a committee - problem solved.

I might just start walking the banks and asking people how they feel and see if i can get support that way. I know proabably 10 already that definetly will, including a baliff. I do note a bit of skepticism however, do you think this is a nigh on impossible task? If noone does anything, nothing changes! :D

Do you think its a good idea to just go asking people on the bank though?

gone

I might just start walking the banks and asking people how they feel and see if i can get support that way. I know proabably 10 already that definetly will, including a baliff. I do note a bit of skepticism however, do you think this is a nigh on impossible task? If noone does anything, nothing changes! :D

Do you think its a good idea to just go asking people on the bank though?

Sean the trouble is whatever anglers may say on the bank putting that into action via attending and voting at an AGM is another entirely ,as hobbies go we Anglers are a very Apathetic lot generally .

But as you say someone has to start the ball rolling so give it a go and see.... Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

haha i keep imaging this movie style scene of large group of disgruntled anglers marching into the meeting hall while the aged commitee look menacingly over their square spectacles.

I am definetly going to go for it, i was going to do something a few years ago but felt i was little young. Im still young-ish, but i feel very strongly about this and today has tipped me. Changes need to made or the club is lost. Huzzah!

Peter, i dont like the idea of just walking away. I learnt to fish on these waters and hope my kids will fish them too. But they wont if things dont change. For example, Poynton Pool used to be 9-11ft deep water, but now has 6-7 ft of stinking horrible silt in places. The deepest part anywhere in this 5 acre lake is now only 5ft with parts about 2. There is even a silt trap, they just never empty it!

Edited by SpecimenSean

gone

I hate to push this but i cant find answers to many questions.

Is there a "ruling body" i can turn to, someone who can force an abusive club to makes changes?

Does anyone think getting signatures if i cant get actual people would count for anything?

Do you think the angling press may help?

Can anyone else suggest ANYTHING else? Im feeling quite alone on this even though i know something needs to be done. Has anyone else ever been in, or heard of a situation like this?

Anything anyone can do or suggest to help would be much appreciated.

gone

Sean I did post a reply but it seems to have gone missing during the server change.

As others have said its one of the biggest problems of our sport that so many anglers are so apathetic.Plenty will moan,but do nothing about it! plenty will moan to you on the bank but wont even attend AGM's let alone stand up and be counted,and of course plenty will knock committees (whether they do a good job or not) but wouldnt dream of doing anything for the club them selves!

However like you say someone has to start!

It would be wrong of me as Im neither a member of the club or indeed know the facts to comment on the other issues but I can certainly help on the pike ones.First of all you need to write a letter to the committee informing them of the baillifs attitude towards pike.See what they say and if they do anything or indeed if they share his views.Let me know if all is not well and I can help you with the next steps.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!