Marco Cortesi Signature centrepin reels

noelg

Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate it.

I telephoned Dragon Carp this afternoon and was a little annoyed by the information I received. The girl there said that they get a percentage of bad one which are normally filtered out before despatch. However I got one that had not been checked as they had not had time to do that with the large shippingl batch that mine was included in.

That tells me that Dragon Carp are putting getting orders out in front of customer satisfaction. That is not the attitude of a company I want to deal with.

I would be interesting to hear from any others that have received a bad one.

After a thorough inspection, my reel is a definite "pup" -

There is too much play on the spindle. The bearing feels rough (almost as if it has grit in it) and the spool will not spin for anywhere near the length of time written of by the magazine reviewers, or in Dragon Carps adverts. There is also a large gouge in the spool edge, just where a thumb would be when long trotting.

At certain times whilst the spool is spinning you can hear a metallic ticking - obviously something is catching internally, and that must be another factor inhibiting the free run of the spool. Finally, the clicker knob is very loose and does not inspire any confidence.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't buy one of those reels as I can't see how they can be of any quality for the price. Hopinc...send it back, get your cash back and buy a reel you'll be happy with.....of course that's just my opinion and I don't want to upset people who've bought them :).

Well overall the feedback I have seen is excellent and the ones that have actually used them to catch fish have reported no problems and are great to use.

Perhaps those that spend huge amounts on 'pins that are merely collectors items or obsessive over what is merely just a straight forward piece of engineering cannot get to grips that something so good could be had for a mere £30? Why don't you buy one a put it to test against your hugely overpriced collection and see how it compares...on second thoughts :rolleyes:

Also at this price folk can sample the delights of trotting with a 'pin, so that's a good thing don't you think?

Firstly I use ALL of my centrepins so have no collectors items. I've seen a lot of good reports about these reels but equally a lot of bad reports about them. It's no use struggling with a cheap poorly made item as it will put you off centrepins forever. In my opinion you get what you pay for.

You seem to be making alot of assumptions about me. Get your facts right before you start gobbing off TM (Miss Marple).

Edited by Tigger

At this price point it is inevitable that some rogues would surface. To cut costs to this extent something has to suffer whether it be tolerance control or inspection and assembly quality.

I am more concerned about a company that, knowing they have some faulty merchandise, would rather send them out in the hope that they get lucky, rather than slowing down delivery by 24 hours and guaranteeing customer satisfaction. To me that's a no brainer - the customer should always come first.

Tigger, thanks for your support, unfortunately it is not just as simply as you suggest. I must first give them the chance to replace the reel before I can ask for my money back. If I then get another one that "is not of merchantable quality" then I have the right to a refund.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

. If I then get another one that "is not of merchantable quality" then I have the right to a refund.

If the reel isn't fit for it's purpose then you are entitled to a refund. You don't need to accept another reel in replacement, unless of course you want to give it a try.

Just been checking on my cusomer rights - Tigger is correct, I can ask for a refund. This section regarding purchasing online is highly applicable:

You've MORE rights buying online (or telephone/catalogue) due to the Distance Selling Regulations. This gives a legal right to send most goods back within a week, for a full refund (including outward delivery costs), even if there's no fault. Though you'll usually need to pay for the return delivery.

Obviously because there are faults and damage to this reel I am also entitled to my postage back.

P.S. - It's packed up ready to return tomorrow and I am asking for a full refund.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

I have one, I'm delighted with it, but it needed a bit of work.

Take the screw off, take the reel to bits, rinse the bearings out with lighter fuel, re-oil: reassemble, spin; if it wobbles in the hand, balance it by putting "heavy metal" or simmilar round the back of the spoke that always ends up on top.

Mine went from "pig" to "dream" in an evening.

I do hope you havent been swayed by the negative comments on here (some by someone who doesnt actually own the reel!). I can tell you for definite that for the money it is a fantastic reel. I am a recent pin convert and wanted to get a brand new reel and as I didnt have a spare £200 I decided to take a punt and I am glad I did.

As I said I was using a 1970's Grice & Young Royal Avon Supreme previously and the difference between that reel and this new one is amazing. The bearings run so smoothly and there is no play at all on the spindle. It would be a shame for you to miss out on a decent reel to get you started with centrepin fishing.

But I suppose a bad experience with a seller can often leave a bad taste in the mouth and spoil your opinion of a product. A lot of people on here now have that reel and I havent heard many negative comments about it on here. Most were singing its praises not too long ago.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk