Marco Cortesi Signature centrepin reels

noelg

Hello Rob Ward,

Have you considered this could be a one off and to look at the replacement first before rejecting the reel altogether?

Yes, please read my post #26 on this subject.

I returned the reel this morning for a refund. Lets see what happens now.

Regards,

Dave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I have just experienced a totally different side of Dragon Carp Direct, for which I must hold my hands up in respect and say well done.

As I reported earlier, I returned the faulty Cortesi reel for a full refund. I have just had a phone call saying they are transferring the money to my account. It was polite, quick and efficient. 10/10 for that Dragon Carp Direct.

Regards,

Dave

Hi all according to Dragoncarp direct these have been tested by Angling times and their link brings me to this forum but no results found any ideas on how good they are.

no idea how good or bad they are, but i saw one go for silly money on the 'bay last week, like 50 quid or something. needless to say there are more this week

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

• 1 month later...

According to the Dragon Carp Twitter feed, these are back in stock...

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

and it's arrived today - I'm really impressed for the price. at a first glance it's easily comparable to my Okuma Aventa pro for quality, in fact I think that it even spins a little bit better.

theres a small amount of play in the spool, but the my Okuma has a similar amount, and even my Youngs BJ has *some* play on the spool!

Handles appear to be fixed with a screw, so could be removed without resorting to a dremel for those that prefer batting :)

But overall it appears to be a smart looking and useable reel

Looking forward to trying it out on the bank! Sadly as it's a birthday prezie I've now got to give it back to the wife to be wrapped up for next month!! so it won't see running water till June (It might see a tench pool or two before that though!)

On the downside, shame that it requires a screwdriver to remove the spool, especially as two small parts dropped out when I did take the spool off - could be dodgy if you need to give it a quick clean or remove trapped line on the bank.

Second when I took it out of the box it would hardly spin at all - on taking the spool off I found a blob of brown sticky stuff (some sort of glue??) between the spool and backplate, took 5 mins to clean it off and now it spins really well - so clearly they are still not testing them much before posting.

lastly it seems to have been supplied "dry" I can't detect any lubrication in the bearings or on the spindle, the ratchet "cog" could also have done with a smear of grease. Shame as not being useable straight out of the box makes it harder to reccomend it as a "first" pin to a beginnner.

Mat

Mat

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your comments.

I haven't been put off the idea of a centre pin reel at all. But as suggested above, it has left a bad taste in my mouth. It was mostly the fact that they knew they had some bad ones but decided to send them out without checking them anyway that I can't live with.

Of course, if I had been lucky enough to get a good one I too would be singing the reel's praises on this forum.

C'est la vie!

Tight lines all

As I already said I have the Marco Cortesi, however in regards to the comment about cheap means poor quality control. About fifteen months ago I was given a new reel costing several hundred pounds and that was total crap I had to return it and the maker took nearly four months to replace it and then when it arrived without any apology letter the new one was as bad as the one I had returned in the end it took over seven months to get a decent reel. Which goes to show its not just the low priced reels that lack quality control some of the more expensive ones can too.

So never think expensive guarantees top quality and great quality control and good after sales service - no matter which company nor how much you pay nor how little they all can make mistakes and the odd one can slip through. I have had similar problems with rods so perhaps all manufacturers should look to their quality control - it cant cost that much to check a little better.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

About fifteen months ago I was given a new reel costing several hundred pounds and that was total crap I had to return it and the maker took nearly four months to replace it and then when it arrived without any apology letter the new one was as bad as the one I had returned in the end it took over seven months to get a decent reel. Which goes to show its not just the low priced reels that lack quality control some of the more expensive ones can too.

What reel was that watatoad ?

I am not saying as I don't think a little slip up is worth trashing a companies name, plus I have had good service from the company and have had several of their reels over the years.

So at the moment I am assuming it was just a hiccup and a shipment of really poor bearings, although normally their service is fine this time it was not, but as I am about to write to them again if the service is poor this time I will tell who it is (I am speaking of a major reel company).

You see I believe that everyone has off times even the best and the most expensive, just click on my company website (st-clair-group.com at the bottom of my signature)and you will understand more of where I am coming from on that point.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God