Fixed Spool vs Mulitplier

JBee123

Good to see you posting Tim.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Nothing to do with being a 'purist', simply, based on many years of piking, the finest tool for the job!'

Bit of a generalisation there Peter isn't it? I'd love to see you cast some of the tiny french shads I have with a baitcasting reel. Impossible!

I agree that a multiplier probably has a greater number of advantages with a wider spectrum of lures, but they are no use at all with the very smallest lures.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

slodger:

'Nothing to do with being a 'purist', simply, based on many years of piking, the finest tool for the job!'

Bit of a generalisation there Peter isn't it? I'd love to see you cast some of the tiny french shads I have with a baitcasting reel. Impossible!

I agree that a multiplier probably has a greater number of advantages with a wider spectrum of lures, but they are no use at all with the very smallest lures.

I really, really don’t understand where these assumptions that you can’t use multipliers for light lures are coming from. It is an assumption that is at the best of times totally incorrect as lures as light as 1/8oz or lighter (with a properly balanced outfit) with ease can be thrown around, still maintaining all the benefits Tim described.

The fact there is not a single quality multiplier really suitable for throwing light lures (1/8 to 5/16oz or 3.5 to 8.5 grams) available here in the UK does not mean it doesn’t exist.

In fact, if you look outside the UK there are some absolutely amazing multiplier reels and suitable rods available.

http://www.dealtackler.com/

MegaBass, Daiwa and Kistler all makes stunning baitcasting rods suitable for lures in the 1/8 to 5/16oz weight range.

The reels normally regarded as the best available for throwing the really light stuff are Daiwa Liberto Pixy, Daiwa TD-Z 103H Custom, Daiwa Alphas 103 Ito-Ai and Shimano Scorpion 1000 with the Daiwa Pixy reel widely regarded as the best there is. The only ABU reels really suitable is the Morrum SX1600C Ultra Mag or SX1600 Forell, but personally I find them to perform better with lures weighing 5/16oz or more.

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/

Later this autumn Daiwa will introduce the Presso reel, which is meant to cover even lighter applications than the Liberto Pixy. I have for obvious reasons not had the opportunity to try it out, but if the performance of the Pixy reel is anything to go by it should be something truly exceptional.

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/

I really cant undestand how a multiplier can outperform a fixed spool reel in terms of casting and acuracy for a beginner. The free line release from a good quality dual lay fixed spool reel has to be far more accurate at both short and long range with any weight of lure.

As regards to quick release on casting, models are available with one handed line release on fixed spools, a pull of a lever puts the line under your finger and ready to cast. So the fact you may save 5 minutes angling time in a day goes right out of the window, particulary since this is advice being given to a novice multilplier user as they would probably spend most of the day sorting birds nests.

A fixed spool reel will cast any weight of lure over any distance...with years of experience and a desire to try new things..yep move to a multiplier ..but for general ease of fishing stick with a fixed spool as the problems will far out weight the benifits.

Sorry to be controversial here Newt but I would be more than happy to to take anyone on in a casting competion with any weight or distance using a fixed spool reel and would beat a multiplier user every time ...now theres a challenge!

But to a novice the advice would have to be get a fixed spool...and move to a multiplier when you have run out of challenges with the fixed spool.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

You're right of course. For a beginner a fixed spool set up is far easier to use. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a better tool for doing a job though. For many of the reasons given above a multiplier is better for most lure fshing applications once you understand how to use them properly.

BTW, I believe the beachcasting distance records are still held by multipliers.... :-)

Tim

will agree with that tim...but show me a lure you can cast over 60 yards and I will show you how to cast it more accurately using a fixed spool.

I do believe shore casting records have Nothing to do with accuracy (ie lobbing it under a bush) just out and out distance...in fact I dont think they are actually held on water so have very little relevance to this discussion.

Less drag = more accuracy ...simple physics...once the spool gets to speed a multilpier has minimal drag ...but on short range stuff the even payout of line from a fixed spool will win every time.

Another point is that to get anything like decent performance from a multiplier you have to be prepared to shell out quite a lot of cash...but with a fixed spool reel you can pay from £5 to £150 for a reel. The actual difference between them is very small except in the long term. I have no idea what multipliers cost but a good shimmano with a good rear drag clutch can be bought for under 5o quid. Star drags on reels suck when you have a good fish on and need to adjust settings quickly...rear drag or lever drag is the way to go to ensure more fish on the bank.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I find I'm far more accurate with a baitcaster than a fixed spool. If you're better with a fixed spool than a multi, fair enough.

I wonder why multipliers are so popular with people who do a lot of lure angling?

Tim

Fastd:

Sorry to be controversial here Newt but I would be more than happy to to take anyone on in a casting competion with any weight or distance using a fixed spool reel and would beat a multiplier user every time ...now theres a challenge!

Well Yee Aha!!! A challenge. Posted Image

Can you make it to the weekend fish-in at Steve Burke's lakes at Wingham next spring?

This gives me the perfect excuse to make sure I bring a couple of rods and reels with me too. :D:D

Steve - maybe we can have some sort of fun lure casting comp?

Fastd - since putting the lure out where you want it is only half the job, lets do some serious soft plastic work too - eggbeater vs. baitcaster. I'll even teach a couple of eggbeater fans to use the baitcaster for the retrieve part and let them decide which gives the best feel since if you can't detect a take, you aren't real likely to hook the fish.

But your earlier points are well taken. Certainly it is easier for a novice to begin lure angling with fixed spool than with baitcaster.

But as to the high cost of a baitcasting reel, I can't really agree. Certainly if you are a professional with your livelyhood riding on your results you can spend serious money but I'll be bringing this reel matched with a 6½ ft and a 7 ft rod.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

slodger:

Not a generalisation, Slodger. As I said, for pike, not for species requiring the smallest of lures.

That said, I agree entirely with Vidar re suitable, balanced outfits. There is a place for small lures in piking, and I regularly use such baits, especially since the advent of plastic worms, with an EON pro for perch and pike.