Fixed Spool vs Mulitplier

JBee123

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it is well worth it.

Quicker to reset for another cast, easier on the arm/wrist if making lots of casts, better control over lure placement.

If fishing soft plastics where the 'take' might be the lightest of taps, retrieving with the line running through your thumb & index finger (hand holding the rod and hand placement just in front of the reel) will allow you to feel what is happening to your lure in a way that is impossible to duplicate with an egg beater - errr, fixed spool reel.

If you plan to order from a UK source, then the Abu reels are hard to beat in a 4500 or 5500 size depending on your needs and c3/d4 depending on your budget. If you don't like the round shape and want one of the streamlined looking reels, then one of the Daiwa reels is a good bet. Both companies make a variety in both right & left hand winds.

A look over the offerings Here will give you an idea of the sorts of reels that are available although BassPro is US so you probably can't source all of them in the UK but it should let you decide on the basic specs you think will work for you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Multiplier reels hold no real advantage unless you're pulling big lipped crankbaits and jerkbaits. The water resistance can make it hard going with a fixed spool, particularly if its a high geared reel. With smaller lures its probably a disadvantage.

What you will get with a multiplier once you've learned the basics is a better connection with the fish. If you're using braid you can feel every twist and turn. You'll also get a sense of achievement once your sense of direction improves. Definitely worth trying a multiplier for the pleasure that you'll probably derive from it. Best value for money is the ABU 5501C3...60 quid from http://www.snowlines.co.uk.

[ 30. September 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I accept the advantages of a multiplier for the heavier lures. However for lighter lures give me a fixed spool every time. I've yet to a find a small multiplier that'll cast as far as a fixed spool. And on the waters I fish long casting is a must.

BTW, talking of small multipliers I have a US-made South Bend 1581 with level wind for sale.

Any offers?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

'Multiplier reels hold no real advantage...'

Refreshing to hear an experienced lure angler make such a point!

I've been using both types of reel for lure fishing for a number of years now, and I think, as pointed out by Newt, there are one or two clear advantages over a fixed spool reel in certain circumstances. However I find a FS a much better distance casting implement for the typically aerodynamically challenged properties of lures.

As a fairly 'casual' lure thrower, I can't help but feel at times that the strongest of opinions in favour of the multi's, are somewhat purist driven.

Even so, practicalities aside, I mostly enjoy the aesthetic and utilitarian pleasure that I derive from using multipliers, and usually stick with them for that reason.

If you'd like to try a multiplier for yourself, and you're presently inexperienced, I'd advise you to always carry a back up 'Coffee grinder' for those occasions where you get in a muddle. At least in the short term.

[ 30. September 2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: slodger ]

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

slodger - you probably nailed it with the 'purist' piece. :D:D

I did a little more thinking here and came up with several more points in favor of baitcasters for lures with the exception of very light lures.

Presentation is a biggie I think. With a spinning reel you are usually going to be doing an overhand cast so the lure gains a bit if height and hits the water with a sizable splash. Much easier to have a more stealthy entry if using a baitcaster and doing a little side-arm roll cast so you can keep the lure close to the water surface and let it hit with almost no fuss. At times this makes no difference at all but at times, it can be the difference in catching and blanking.

That same sort of presentation is excellent for putting a lure deep into an area with low hanging obstructions like branches as well.

If you are fishing from a boat, you can get set and cast faster with a multiplier than with a fixed spool because there is less to fiddle with before you are ready to cast. No catching line with the index finger and pinning it to the rod handle then opening the bail. Just press the thumb release and cast. I'd estimate you save 2-4 seconds per cast and if you are doing 200 casts during the day's fishing that's 5-10 minutes more time with the lure in the water where fish live than in the air where they don't.

As to the distance casting part - I dunno since I rarely have occasion to fling a lure out toward the horizion but if I do need that then I agree that fixed spool is a better tool for it. Not only easier to do the long casts but at least for me, I'd usually be tossing a buzzbait or spinner bait over weed and would need a fast retrieve to keep it on or very near the surface and fixed spool is better for that as well.

[ 30. September 2005, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'd agree with all of that Newt.

Another big plus with Multipliers in my opinion, is the ability to stop a cast lure on a sixpence..... eh... a dime. :D

Brilliant for dropping your lure tight to snags/structure/reeds etc.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

One of the big advantages of multipliers for lure fishing is the way they manage the line. Cast out a lure with a fixed spool and the lure flies through the air with minimal resistance from the reel/line. Do the same thing with a multiplier and you will notice how much less of a bow of line there is following the lure, this is because of the slight ressitance from the spool having the line pulled from it. The net result of this is that your lures are less likely to tumble in mid air and therefore less likely to be tangled when they touch down. Lure fishing is a tangly business at the best of times and the less casts wasted through avoidable tangles the better (unless the reel bites you on the bum of course!)

I also find it easier to cast lures accurately with a multiplier. The flat trejectory and the one handed line management make it easier, but multiplier set ups are more fussy about lure weights etc than fixed spool setups.

Horses for courses. I use both but prefer the multi for most applications. If you are only dabbling though you'll probably find the fixed spool outfit far more familiar and not really notice the difference between the two.

Tim