Fixed Spool vs Mulitplier

JBee123

I use a multiplier for all but the lightest of my lure fishing and most of my boat fishing for pike. Why? well Ive heard all the different arguments re better drags more acurate casrting etc etyc but to be honest I dont think any of these things make a great deal of difference in practical terms. I choose them simply because I enjoy using them for the jobs mentioned,simple as that! :)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slodger:

Peter,

Yes, I've several UL rods. I'd probably couple the Sport with a Berkeley Performa rated 1/8-3/8 ozs. And it's currently loaded with 10 b/s braid.

I agree with Vidar's comments above re the Eon. The take off speed is way too slow for use with UL lures, this causes an exaggerated casting action, which I find limits accuracy with the lures of 1/8ozs and less.

If Vidar says there are Multis capable of casting true UL lures, then I'm happy to concede. I don't think I know a more 'Lure tackle market aware' angler. He's also an awful Tackle Tart!! :D:D

I must confess I don't think the Tackle Tart comment is out of line :D:D

Sometimes, I wonder if not the collection of high-end tackle is as fun as fishing

jeepster:

i'll take the eon of your hands peter, been thinking about getting one ever since you got that one off ebay

No, no, no, excellent reel. Just been playing with it, as Vidar says, bit of inertia to overcome but most of my lures are 15gms upwards & its no problem. Well, didn't think that it was a problem with lighter stuff, till someone told me!

Have watched Argyll with his Scorpian, excellent results. Maybe after Xmas

Peter,

I'm not aiming to get in a row with anyone about undergunned pike tackle, but I accidentally hooked a 12lb pike on the set-up described above (Eon and Performa.) last season while fishing a two inch twin tail for perch. It's not hard to see why some people are hooked on this style of fishing. You can feel every nuance through such a light set-up.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

No arguement with you on that one Slodger.

Caught on light tackle they often come alongside seemingly unaware that they have been hooked! Just roll the hook out whilst they are in the water and off they go.