what a day

paul pretlove

Its the open of the season and what a day. an hour in to my setion and i split my thumb open on a luncheaon meat tin :( the amount of blood was unbeleivable. It cut through to the bone and i fainted :( it was a first. But i carried on fishing and ended up catching a 4lb carp and 5 minutes before leaving hooked into a 9lb common which beat my P.B. not alot i know but hey it was enough :) . Got home and went straight to the hospital the glued my thumb up and im now off to bed. I was just wondering if anyone else had such an exciting day as me :)

i was pike fishing one new years day with my son ,whilst trying to mount a still frozen pilchard i managed to impale my thumb with the only barbed hook on a treble , i tried removing it but suddenly the " tunnel " vision apeared (almost fainted) ,i sat down and had a cup of tea whilst recovering , i cut of the wire and left my son in charge and drove to the hospital several miles away (managing to leak blood everywhere ) on being seen by the doc i warned him that i usually fell over at the sight of needles ,he assured me that i wouldnt ,after putting in a local anastetic he then used a scalpel to remove the offending hook (very interesting as the point and barb had managed to get into the joint) .the next thing i remember is a couple of people saying my name far away and i seem to have fell asleep on the floor :D .on asking how i got down there they replied they had put me down there to save me doing it :D:D i said i HAD warned them and after being bandaged up drove back and continued fishing much too the amusement of my son ,it is still mentioned on occasion several years later :D .i now carry a small home made kit containing plasters and small bandage etc in my tackle box as a precaution :D:D

[ 17 June 2002, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My opening day was blessed with some scary antics too, I started at 5am, I'd had nothing by 9am when a sera trout latched on during the retrieve (i was fishing a stick float), not having the right permit he had to go back, but noit without receiving a few annoyed looks from the salmon anglers, I had a brown trout a short while later and was walking back to the bank (I was wading) when I slipped on a rock under the surface, as the pete colourd waters closed over my head I panicked a little, thankfully within a few seconds I realised that if I stopped trying to move and just sat down my head came out of the water quite successfully..........kind of scary for me but all the salmon anglers had a good laugh at the course fisherman who'd shown them up earlier. :D

Result of waiting till the 16th.........Course fish 0, game fish 2. :D A good morning out though.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Well i didnt go to the river but went to a local dam.

Had one odf the best days fishing ive had in a long time.....nothing monsterous but was getting a bite a chuck, and managed to beat my PB with a 5lb carp...

i know thats not a lot but im workin on it :)

I've done exactly the same thing with a luncheon meat tin. The key snapped off and I was trying to twist the last bit of lid off the can. It cut so deep the lid was embedded and hanging on my thumb. Shook it off and called my brother in the next swim, as usual he ignored me, that is until I staggered along the bank and almost passed out in his swim. Learned my lesson though, ALWAYS prep luncheon meat at home these days.

As for June 16th 2002 well a 4:00am start saw me come face to face with about 50 tons!!! (well nearly!!!) of prime BULL which crossed the path about 10 feet in front of me as I attempted to push my new Chub tackle barrow to a distant swim at St Ives lakes. We stood and stared at each other for what felt like years before he decided I was not a threat to his hareim of some 30-40 cows and ambled on munching grass as he went. I went beyond frightened, My whole body shook like jelly and I could hardly walk the remaining 100 yards to my peg. A wonderful quiet days fishing followed only 2 fish but really relaxing,

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.