alternative paste for chub

viney

Has anyone ever tried or heard of using anything other than cheese to make a paste for chub? im planning on cracking on with the chub fishing at the weekend, i really want to use cheese paste but theres a catch..... I HATE cheese, even the smell is enough to make me gag! ive got a few ideas ticking over in my head but any ideas from people on here would be great!

matt

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Havent tried either but i hear paste made from groundbait or pellets are effective.

To make the pellet one you place as many pellets as you want in a bait tub or whatever and pour on boiling water, leave for a few minutes then knead into a paste, obviously adding as much water as is needed.

For the groundbait one i think you just add normal water until it can be kneaded into a paste.

Good question, id like to hear the answers as i reckon winter is probably a good time to start using pastes.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Yes:

Shipmans Fishpaste - salmon & shrimp

Shipmans Fishpaste - Sardine and tomato

Any meat paste - any make

Every sort of pate you can find

Egg and celery - I believe the eggs were part cooked

Potatoes - boiled whole - part whole - mashed with various additives

Bread with garlic and / or tomato puree

And many more even stranger ones

I still prefer dairylea cheese spread made into sandwiches with buttered bread and shaped up at the river bank.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Yes:

Shipmans Fishpaste - salmon & shrimp

Shipmans Fishpaste - Sardine and tomato

Any meat paste - any make

Every sort of pate you can find

Egg and celery - I believe the eggs were part cooked

Potatoes - boiled whole - part whole - mashed with various additives

Bread with garlic and / or tomato puree

And many more even stranger ones

I still prefer dairylea cheese spread made into sandwiches with buttered bread and shaped up at the river bank.

Do you leave the hookpoint clear or bury it watatoad? And how big a piece would you normally use, and to what size hook?

thanks

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I always leave the hook point just showing size varies from just covering the overall hook to about 3 times the size, although with potatoes it gets more difficult and I have found that for me it has to be a very gentle cast - though that might just be me.

EDIT:

Hooking through the skin or the potato helped.

END EDIT:

Think of the size of the fishes mouth then think you want the fish to take it in one go and not struggle with it.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

The easiest way for a variety of different pastes is to use a boilie mix, just don't boil it.

That is what i am sat here using as we speak and as yet no crays have bothered me thanks to the frosts i suppose ,havent had so much as a knock yet but its still early.

Fishmeal base mix with a few other bits thrown in here is hoping the Chub wake up and bite soon Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

You can make paste from basic bread crumb cant you? Just mix it to the right consistency then its done? how long do you think it would last for?

How long do they last on the hook? And what size hook would you recommend?

Sorry viney i dont mean to mustle in on your post im just interested in it too :)