River Cottage

Julian

Ive been watching the prog since the first episode.

I always end up raiding the fridge after too!

I did feel sorry for that grass carp and i dread to think what he will do now he as permission to take what he wants.

He is not an angler and i reckon someone loaned him that tackle and the sugerpuffs bait idea.

Bet the local supermarkets sell a few more boxes around the country this week and i bet a fair few carp get cought on them too this weekend.

At least they wont end up in someones belly this time.(the carp that is!)

I thought he was married with kids and i wonder if river cottage is a weekend retreat type place.

I prefer to watch this sort of stuff rather than soaps or big brother.

Oh for another Angling/frienship/adventure/nature type series again.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carp used to be kept for food in this country didn't they? I thought that monks kept them in stew ponds a couple hundred years back.

As for the program, missed last nights, but have seen the others. It is a great program, nice to see someone living the good life ain't it? Makes you realise what life can be like.

Mark,

quote:

Carp used to be kept for food in this country didn't they?

Yes, it’s believed that it was the monks who first stocked carp into the UK, by introducing them into the monastery stock ponds.

Records showing the farming of carp as a food source date back to around 500BC, though many believe it goes back as far as 2,500BC.

The original common carp stocks are said to come from the Caspian Sea, though to make them easier to handle (de-scale) they then bred the mirrors, linears, and leathers that we know today.

As for River Cottage, I’ve watched them all since the first series, a great program.

Has anybody seen any of his earlier cooking programmes?

I remember a series he did many years ago, where he would go to people houses when they were cooking ‘special’ (weird) meals.

He once went to the house of a woman who had just given birth, and who wanted to serve up the placenta to the family as a meal to celebrate the new addition to the family.

Turned my stomach when the whole family tucked in

An old tradition apparently – not one that I’m in a hurry to see brought back!

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I got the feeling that none of them would go out of their way to eat it again, as it was only the intense preparation that made it even half edible that time.

In spite of the odd dodgy moment or two, I also like the programme, although I absolutely detest that other one with that vile Clarissa woman, for whom I've developed an intense hatred.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Tyke:

He is not an angler and i reckon someone loaned him that tackle and the sugerpuffs bait idea.

I read somewhere that H.F.W was mad on fish and everything to do with fishing.

In an earlier Prog', he had all his own home made lures.

A comment here. Grass Carp = Ctenopharyngodon idellus. A totally different critter than our old friend Cyprinus carpio carpio (except in some parts of the Russian Federation where they call carpio a grass carp).

Body structure is a bit different and much easier to prepare and eat.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Julian:

then put it in a holding tank for a week, where he ran water out of the river to ‘de-mud’ the taste of the meat.

That is exactly what I read in a library book once, but it suggested a concrete lined pond.

The book reckoned on producing around 200lb of carp per acre of water per year. At £3.00 a lb, thats £600.00, about the same as I am told you can rent a pond out for.

I thought the Romans had brought carp (and rabbits) to this country as a food source.

"In the last series he caught eels in a trap skinned them and ate them".

My father said that he allways skinned eels to eat them until one day he was invited to eat some that had not been skinned, but to keep his eyes shut. He said he never bothered to skin another eel in his life.

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Steve Burke:

Yet I still prefer cod 'n chips cooked the traditional way!

And people complain about commercial fishing wiping out stocks!!

Stop buying Cod and Chips and we might see a change.

It's only the Fish 'n' Chip trade that keeps up the price of commercial fish catches and the price of spuds. Oh! AND Gary Lineker with his crisp adverts and Paris eateries advertizing "Portland Bill Bass" dishes.

Jim Roper

[ 25 July 2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

Could someone please inform me as to when this program is on as i would love to see it.

What i find refreshingly good about this thread is the fact that nobody has replied with the,

"How can you eat carp thats a terrible thing to do" Statement, I personaly think its a most natural thing to do if you like that kind of thing, and are allowed to do it of course.

Would be nice to be able to go out and catch the odd fish for the Table, (As i said if it is allowed).

Don't think this makes anyone a bad angler, does it.

Danez:

I personaly think its a most natural thing to do if you like that kind of thing, and are allowed to do it of course.

Would be nice to be able to go out and catch the odd fish for the Table.

Now there's a hunter/gatherer.

Cro-Magnon Man lives!!

Jim Roper