Do you use a special reel for feeder fishing?

larsagi2010

I have been getting confused......

When feeder fishing I fish one of two ways when its on the rests....

1. I have the clutch set to the line breaking strain. So in theory its quite firm to pull off, which means when I get a take from a Carp the swinger goes up and then the rod starts to bend.... If I didn't grab the rod (Having a slash or something :lol: ) it would probably end up going into the water....

2. I set the clutch to pay off line with practically no resistance.... Which means the fish can take like 200m of line without the rod budging from the rests......

I see method 2 being used more often on TV, especially with multiple rods or long sessions (Night fishing).... I however find that its hard to use this method as when a fish is running on the bolt rig.... If you lift/strike the clutch just pays off loads of line meaning you in essence have not actually lifted into the fish.... Then its a case of adjusting the clutch while playing the fish without overtightening it and risking a line break....

Do they use method 2??? And perfect clutch control while playing fish over time??? Or is there a special reel which allows you to set it to pay off line and when you strike or flick a switch or something it goes to your pre-set clutch settings???

Sorry to sound like a n00b but its confused the crap outta me!

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I however find that its hard to use this method as when a fish is running on the bolt rig.... If you lift/strike the clutch just pays off loads of line meaning you in essence have not actually lifted into the fish.... Then its a case of adjusting the clutch while playing the fish without overtightening it and risking a line break....

If you don't have a baitrunner and I don't on my Shakespeare Mach fixed, switch the anti-reverse to allow the fish to run. When you lift the rod, you shouldn't need to strike with a bolt-rig. The fish is hooked anyway. You just control the run with handle by backwinding and decreasing the momentum of the run, allowing the rod to do it's job. By doing so, there is no need to adjust your drag at all. Pretty straightforward.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I wouldn't use a baitrunner for feeder fishing. I'd just use a fixed spool reel of say 2000 to 4000 size, or any reel that matches your set up. I only use a baitrunner when fishing a bolt style rig usually intended for larger species of fish.

I bought the Mach because it was highly rated in IYCF (must have been drunk to buy it again), the line-lay with 6lb braid is nice, it's lightweight, quite smart and the front drag is super smooth.

Lovely wee reel and great for feeder fishing.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

If you want to fish 'free spool' style (i.e. allow the fish to take line off the reel when you get a run without pulling the rod in) and don't have a baitrunner, just loosen the clutch and then when you get a run cup the spool with your hand (to stop any more line being taken), strike/bend into the fish, and then tighten the clutch again before playing the fish normally. It's a bit more fidddly than using a baitrunner but not that much more.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's what Larsaqi was suggesting.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

If you don't have a baitrunner and I don't on my Shakespeare Mach fixed, switch the anti-reverse to allow the fish to run. When you lift the rod, you shouldn't need to strike with a bolt-rig. The fish is hooked anyway. You just control the run with handle by backwinding and decreasing the momentum of the run, allowing the rod to do it's job. By doing so, there is no need to adjust your drag at all. Pretty straightforward.

Isn't that how it was done before baitrunners? In my limited experience as a carp angler I remember seeing reels backwind like mad when a fish took the bait, I always thought that the problem with doing it that way was that if the fish stopped or swam back towards you the reel would keep going for a bit and tangle. Not a problem provided you're watching it but in those days casting and kipping seemed to be the way.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

REPLY:

Fully agree in as far as Andy goes, but would add you can do it with a CENTREPIN too...Nice reels those Shakespeare's, I like them and use them.

Isn't that how it was done before baitrunners? In my limited experience as a carp angler I remember seeing reels backwind like mad when a fish took the bait, I always thought that the problem with doing it that way was that if the fish stopped or swam back towards you the reel would keep going for a bit and tangle. Not a problem provided you're watching it but in those days casting and kipping seemed to be the way.

REPLY:

In those long gone days. No wait a moment those days have not gone I still often fish like that now...The simple trick was you actually watched your rod and did not go to sleep or stroll up the bank for a few cans or a barbecue with your mates...You actually fished...Might seem a strange or novel idea to some but that to me and to many others who fished back in the pre-bite alarm days, is what angling is/was really about.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God