Angling - A Sociable Sport?

Elton

Have you made many friends over the years through angling? Would you consider anglers 'friendly' as a whole?

Me, I've found angling a great "ice-breaker" when on holiday. Wherever you are, you'll always bump into an angler or two.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'll be your friend Dragonbat. Just send me free stuff!!!! :D

Seriously though, I choose to fish alone mostly, so haven't made any friends while out fishing as such, though there is the obvious friendly chat on the bank.

However, on this site, there are the regulars that I consider "virtual friends", which is nice! (even you Elton!)

UK Bank angling is probably a good deal more sociable than the usual boat angling in the US.

Much harder to carry on a conversation with folks when you are always moving about.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

UK Bank angling is probably a good deal more sociable than the usual boat angling in the US.

Much harder to carry on a conversation with folks when you are always moving about.

When sat on the bank I alway's give the occupants of boats I see on the river a wave and a greeting :D:D

i dont mind people grunting at me but the last time a kid spoke to me he pinched a brand new mitchel 410 out of my creel ,do you know this boy ?you can identify him because he had a brand new 410 and it was in hythe kent in 1970 :mad:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

S'funny you should say that Nugg.

Esox n me were having a day on the Trent last week & decieded to give the cut a go before going home.

There was a couple of lads trying their hardest so we gave them some pointers (& some bait) then set them up in a prime spot, about 10 mins later a boat comes through & he wasn't going slowly, all you could see were beer bottles & idiots, Esox gave them a friendly greeting, summat along the lines of "please slow down to 4MPH" although he may have used a few more words than that the reply isn't printable on here so i gave them a "friendly" wave, funny thing is my entire hand wouldn't work only the middle finger came up??

Elton in answer to your question

Yes i have made some friends through angling, both on here & on the bank including a geezer who had more tackle than brains at Yateley last year so i lent him my trolley.

Oh & another fella who borrowed my trolley then tried to kill it :)

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

i found tat wether it's fishing/hunting or any general out door sport there will always be someone who will befriend you especialy on holiday

in far away places like portugal,spain canada etc..

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Yes, met lots of people and made lots of friends, and very sociable too. When I did a lot of sea fishing (shore) a few years ago, a few of us got together and formed our own angling club. Grand days they were. When you met someone night fishing in the winter all wrapped up in waterproofs and balaclavas, all you could see was the whites of there eyes, so when you met them later on socially, you would only recognise them by thier voice :rolleyes:

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic